MONACO CHAT

Oh wow! Does that photo mean Severine (no not THAT one) is coming back. Or perhaps Princess Stephanie?

PLEASE let whatever well-heeled gay is spearheading this not randomly DROP DEAD like that poor old Queen from Liechtenstein :(

Last edited:
Their brief-lived return in the 00s was due to a friend of the Prince deciding he wanted to be a songwriter, I think that's how things tend to work in Monaco :D

This has reminded me that there was something a few years ago about actual Monégasque Josh Stanley wanting to fund a participation that came to nothing

I hope this inspires poor Susanne Georgi to reignite her campaign to bring back Andorra too.

Just seen that Josh was in a Eurovision songwriting camp last year and posted this too, I guess it's probably him behind it then.

One of the French-readers among us to confirm, but it appears that this is more or less confirmed. :disco:

One of the French-readers among us to confirm, but it appears that this is more or less confirmed. :disco:

Yep, pretty much a guarantee from the broadcaster of a 2023 return. :disco:

Reactions: VoR
Easiest route to 44 is, I suspect (in order of ease/likelihood any time soon):

37 - all the 2023 countries staying in
38 - Monaco following through on an already budgeted return
40 - Montenegro & North Macedonia returning through finances becoming easier at the broadcaster
41 - Luxembourg returning in light of their PM prioritising it
42 - Bulgaria having a change of staffing at their broadcaster and viewing Eurovision participation as a standard expected thing again
43 - Andorra actually following through on a return that was promised post-COVID that has yet to materialise
44 - Erdoğan losing re-election in Turkey and TRT dropping their objections with a sweep out of the old guard

(45 - Slovakia being won around to re-entering despite the lack of interest in the region and in the neighbouring Czech Republic even with recent successes
46 - Bosnia & Herzegovina paying off their EBU debts in full AND either having enough money for the broadcaster left over to re-enter after the rampant corruption that siphons it off that led to the current situation OR a domestic artist's label agreeing to fully fund entry
47 - Liechtenstein's broadcaster getting a head that makes it a priority to join the EBU and the contest
48 - Kosovo overcoming Serbian vetoes/objections to join the EBU and the contest
49 - Hungary having a regime change / change of heart at their broadcaster
50 - Morocco re-entering now they notionally can given the Abraham Accords
51 - the EBU letting Kazakhstan in despite the cultural turn away from letting in dictatorships lately given how things have turned out with the last few and how they tended to play when they were let in
53 - Belarus & Russia having the required turn of events / regime changes to be readmitted to the EBU and the contest)

Last edited:
My guess, if inflation chills out a bit, is that 2024 will have 39-41 entrants (with maybe one of this year's lot dropping out)

Last edited:
I wonder who we’d most likely lose out of this year’s lot. Romania?

Would be my guess as the most likely - they always seem like they've potentially got an eye on the door lately, plus you'd never be wise totally ruling out a miss from an organisation that's been kicked out for not paying up on time before when things are a bit peaky economically.

I'd guess Israel as second most likely due to potential government broadcaster meddling that gets the EBU chucking them out.

I wouldn’t be surprised if part of the reason behind the rest of the world vote is to see which countries have the biggest appetite and seeing whether there’s any road for inviting any others. China was on the verge of being let in before they censored the show in 2018 (there was a China heart logo and country info page buried unpublished on Eurovision.tv). It’s also weird that Kazakhstan is allowed in JESC as a regular member but not here - their phone network is still tied with Russia’s; if they’re able to get a good number of votes in this rest of the world online vote they may think more seriously about it.

I suspect the Rest of World vote is likely to return a resounding 12 for Azerbaijan, and not even be corrupt for once - population-wise and interest-wise, you'd totally expect Turkey to be responsible for the vast majority of votes for that (Russia would've probably been otherwise, but apparently people there won't be able to do the payments to vote)

I forgot about the exciting WORLD VOTE! How do they pick who ANNOUNCES IT?

Do they get a semi vote as well? Because Azerbaijan ain’t making the final!

Wait, will there be a Rest of World JURY vote as well?

No, just a televote, and it’s in both semis. Realistically I can’t imagine how it’s not just going to be made up of 99% fans, are the US showing it this year? I think it was put up delayed on streaming there last year. The time zones would make the Americas their best shot of harnessing interest outside of the European area, but I doubt a casual viewer would make the effort to find a stream and pass all the hurdles (inputting credit card details) to vote.

So TVMonaco officially launches tomorrow. It remains to be seen whether they'll manage to pull together all the necessary paperwork to get into Eurovision next year, but it's a promising sign... :disco:

The existing Monégasque EBU member seems to be an umbrella organisation of different radio stations, if they can become part of that they’d make the deadline for 2024 I think. Not sure how easy it’d be if they had to apply from scratch, they only accept new members at certain times of the year and the deadline to apply for ESC is sometime in late September. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: VoR
It's looking good... :disco:

Eurovision fans will be pleased to know that we can now confirm that TVMONACO is under the umbrella of MMD (Monaco Media Difussion) which is a member of the EBU, and is thus eligible to compete at the Eurovision Song Contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom