Montenegro

Soldi

Πάμε put your hands up
Pronouns
He/him
I’ve booked for a week away at the end of August, has anyone been before? I’m staying in a town called Bijela which isn’t far from the Croatian boarder (which is helpful as I want to go back to Dubrovnik one day :disco:)

Reactions: COB
I’ve heard Podgorica is a bit of a dump which has intrigued me more :disco:

Reactions: VoR
Not been but yes, by all accounts Podgorica is the capital by default and really doesn’t have much to recommend it. The coastal towns are where it’s at.

I’d LOVE to go. Pondering a former Yugoslav road trip next year to compensate for losing an overseas Eurovision adventure.

I REALLY want to do Bosnia too but it doesn’t look like it’ll happen on this trip :evil:

• Love
Reactions: VoR
I had an amazing time in Montenegro, mind blowing mountain scenery during our hikes. The locals are agressive though, bordering on evil.

I was in Dubrovnik some years ago and from there we went to both a coastal town in Montenegro which was lovely and to Mostar in Bosnia (which was rather cute but quite depressing).

Kotor has lovely views. Budva is a bit trashy and full of Russians, but has a nice citadel. I confirm what @Dark Carnival said about the locals - not very friendly, and the taxis are run like a mafia and will rip you off.

I think Cetinje is supposed to be a fair bit prettier than Podgorica if you do venture inland, though even there you might not find a great deal to do.

Budva and Bar are both pretty Balkan coastal towns, Cetinje is the former royal/cultural capital and Kolašin further inland is a cute town with mountain scenery. I quite enjoyed my time there!

Well it was a lovely week! I stayed around the Bay of Kotor during my time in Montenegro and it’s beautiful. I found Kotor felt like a little Dubrovnik and Tivat like a little Puerto Banus :disco:. The highlight though was definitely Perast, absolutely stunning! Definitely recommend getting the boat over to Our Lady of the Rocks.

As for Croatia/Dubrovnik it was just overrun by tourists, even more so then when I was there around the same time in 2019 :argh: If I head back there (and I’m sure I will) I’d rather just spend time in the small costal towns around Dubrovnik (Mlini is my absolute fave) sunbathing on the beach between all the bombed out hotels :disco:

Last edited:
Oh and I need to head further south into Montenegro. Budva and Bar is certainly on the list. I was going to do a trip to Lake Shkodër on the Albanian border but I didn’t fancy three early starts in a row. But it looks absolutely stunning and could easily be followed by a few days in Tirana :disco:

Well it was a lovely week! I stayed around the Bay of Kotor during my time in Montenegro and it’s beautiful. I found Kotor felt like a little Dubrovnik and Tivat like a little Puerto Banus :disco:. The highlight thought was definitely Perast, absolutely stunning! Definitely recommend getting the boat over to Our Lady of the Rocks.

As for Croatia/Dubrovnik it was just overrun by tourists, even more so then when I was there around the same time in 2019 :argh: If I head back there (and I’m sure I will) I’d rather just spend time in the small costal towns around Dubrovnik (Mlini is my absolute fave) sunbathing on the beach between all the bombed out hotels :disco:

Perast and the church are definitely worth a visit I agree.

I did a cycle around the whole bay and enjoyed stopping off at the various small town cafes and bars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom