NEW ORDER

Suedehead

I Will Survive
Not sure if they should be in Pop or REAL MUSIC.
Anyway I've really been into their stuff recently - and SUBSTANCE is getting a vinyl reissue which is meant to be *chef's kiss*

I love REPUBLIC even though apparently they hated each other by then.

I love New Order - I bought the 4CD reissue of Substance having had the double cassette in 1987 and been a bit unimpressed with the original CD edition. The usual online places are moaning about it but I think it's fabulous even if no-one needs the live disc.

Their Imperial Phase was quite something - every single seemed to tell a new story and they all sound amazing now, except the remix of Subculture which was crap then and is crap now but we have the album version.

It's a shame there wasn't a way of sneaking the remaining Factory singles onto this because it went to blazes almost immediately afterwards. The brilliance of Regret hid a stodgy album and the 'reunion' era is an object lesson in how to slowly unravel your legacy.

Still, awkward buggers, brilliant group.

It’s only really in recent years that I’ve learnt to understand their historical significance. They are recognised by the industry as dance music pioneers and a huge cornerstone of the post punk / new wave / electronic era of the 80s alternative scene.

Their impact continues to surprise and educate me - I was shocked to see them nominated for the Rock Hall this year (albeit linked with Joy Division) but it just shows how important they were globally, not just in the UK.

The evolution of Joy Division to New Order was not a smooth one - the singles give a more complimentary view than that given by jumping from JD's Closer to NO's debut, Movement. The embracing of technology was critical and, at the time, they shed a lot of Joy Division fans. In particular, there were some who were appalled at their decision to embrace the dancefloor and work with Arthur Baker and John Robie. Blue Monday wasn't the straight up breakthrough that is painted and they were struggling to chart their singles in 85 and 86. Substance and the accompanying single "True Faith" was when the consensus that they were actually completely ace really became to cohere.

It’s only really in recent years that I’ve learnt to understand their historical significance. They are recognised by the industry as dance music pioneers and a huge cornerstone of the post punk / new wave / electronic era of the 80s alternative scene.

Their impact continues to surprise and educate me - I was shocked to see them nominated for the Rock Hall this year (albeit linked with Joy Division) but it just shows how important they were globally, not just in the UK.

And a lot of that was done ripping off Donna Summer :disco:

I don't know much of their album work (which would ya'll recommend?)

But their singles are among the greatest of ALL TIME.

Low Life is their best album, IMO. It's easily their most consistent in terms of quality - all the songs are great and it has their best instrumental, "Elegia". The version of The Perfect Kiss is an edit but the album version of Subculture is vastly superior to the forced, fussy single mix.

I would recommend TECHNIQUE and SUBSTANCE but then I am a freak because I properly love REPUBLIC too

I’m still working my way through their catalogue

Their GH with the question mark thing was everything for me back in 94

Technique is their high point for me too. Though I love Power, Corruption and Lies too.

I had the Joy Division Substance on cassette as well - it had 7 early recordings as a bonus but they were a bit crap so it wasn't really worth the inconvenience of having to rewind to hear the main album all the time.

OK so I've actually been listening to MUSIC COMPLETE today and it's really, really good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom