Poland 2024: LUNA - The Tower

VoR

Take it or leave it
Rumours abound that Poland are about to internally select Justyna Steczkowska. :o

Justyna represented Poland way back in 1995 with one of my very favourite batshit Eurovision banshee moments.

She's since had a long and decorated career as one of Poland's more successful female solo artists.

This is allegedly a clip of her song, and it sounds promisingly bonkers :disco:

The full version is already on YT. The official release happens next Friday.

That'll do very nicely indeed if it's really the entry.

An internal selection for Poland would track this year, as their broadcaster is being restructured following the recent elections, so they're probably a bit distracted to run a whole national final.

Well there’s no doubt about it, that is a song that has been written for Eurovision. It just wouldn’t exist in any other context.

As for it being THE song, I’ll believe it when I see it.

It could just as easily have been submitted, passed over, and then leaked by the artist herself as an attempt to change the broadcaster’s minds when the fans for ape for it.

She's set to perform it at a big New Year's Eve concert in Poland, so hopefully that'll coincide with a confirmation.

The Polish posters on ESCForums seem unconcerned. They reckon it’s a power play that should be sorted out quickly enough.

Yes it's linked to the new Tusk government's attempt to depoliticise TVP, which has been under the influence of PiS for years. Even if Poland do sit out next year, it can only be a good thing for the broadcaster in the long run.

BANGER :disco:

Also she's confirmed her intention to go to Eurovision with it, so hopefully they'll give her the green light.

Let's get back to the music. I would like to ask you what do you remember about your participation in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1995?

There were no such productions in Poland at that time. Our festivals did not have such precision in organization. It also happened that the director was drunk. Today, of course, it is different, fully professional, all large television stations - TVP, TVN and Polsat - are able to put on a world-class show. However, Eurovision remains the largest event of this type, and in recent years it has become a cult event. It was nice to experience it. Unfortunately, I took 18th place, a long way, and the expectations were great. I returned to the country like football players after losing the championship (laughter). On the other hand, I was happy because I showed myself and my unusual music.

Would you go again?

I'm going because if not now, then when? I have already prepared a song together with Hotel Torino. I feel with my whole being that this is it. I finally found producers who understood the musical language I wanted to speak to people. An extraordinary piece was created, full of strong Slavic sounds, but in a very modern version. With text about Mother Nature, that she is a beautiful, sentient being who needs our love and understanding. We have forgotten a bit about the strength of our Slavic culture and the legends that we lived here. "The Witcher" was our inspiration. And "Carmina Burana" in the way we thought about harmony and choir arrangement. Eurovision is a good place to present such a message because it is not only about music, but also about identity and the entire concept connected to music. This is really important. As of today, it is not known what the pre-selections will look like. Will it be a concert, like last year, or an independent commission that will select the artist based on the recorded song. For now, all artists who would like to take part in it are waiting for the decision of the people responsible. But what it will be like - I have no idea (laughter).

Artists with such achievements usually do not bother to compete with beginners.

I don't take it that way. Young artists are just as fantastic as the old ones (laughter). Sometimes they simply lack experience on big stages, which is only due to the fact that they haven't played that many concerts because they haven't had time yet (laughter). Music is not a sport and it is very difficult to say that someone is the best, because there are no best here. Variety is important in art and, as in every field, love for what you do. If something is good, it will find its audience who will appreciate what they see and hear.

I have my fans and I love them very much, but as I have already mentioned, my songs do not reach a wide audience. See: radio.
Eurovision and television give me the opportunity to show the world a different, musical side of myself. That's why we will play a Eurovision song for the first time on New Year's Eve, to be able to show the world that it exists, because we don't have many opportunities for the audience to hear it.

The scenario is usually the same: the press is always willing to write various things, smart, stupid, true or not, but not a word about the new album. So I have to constantly fight for the circulation of music information. I have already done so many things... but I am constantly looking for new challenges for my own development, so as not to get stuck in myself. So I have to make an effort and - in this case - take part in the pre-selections. Even if I lose, I will learn something. I don't want to stand still and be "that diva" in a tight dress (laughter). I want to throw it all off, take a step forward and fight for something new once again. Give myself a chance, since after half a century I still have the strength to conquer new spaces and self-discovery.

She is setting the bar HIGH. Yes Poland!

:bejba:

Amazing in a very ESC way :disco: possibly could've done without the English though

First live performance at a Polish New Year’s concert. They MUST send this!

Last edited:
Somebody write the broadcaster a big cheque!

Edyta Górniak (1994) has also submitted something, although her most recent attempt in 2016 was rather underwhelming

The decision will be announced sometime this week. This was also submitted and is getting some fan attention (and is already popular in Poland for being in a film), but it’s both well over 3 minutes and sung by many more than 6 so I’m not sure how it’d work easily:

Oh does that mean Luna’s palsy might become a thing?

I actually know this song! It's been randomly cropping up on my Spotify daily mixes in the last couple of weeks... And I haven't really taken it yet :eyes:

Are those chess scenes an intentional reference to Madonna's Power of Goodbye? There's some VERY SIMILAR SHOTS!

Luna beat Justyna by ONE POINT in the preselection jury.

We’d been getting away with it for too long, we were due some WICKEDNESS.

We’d been getting away with it for too long, we were due some WICKEDNESS.

There's been PLENTY of wickedness already this year - Norway and Finland come to mind.

The Polish fans are going FERAL and are slating it and saying they are boycotting their entry. AGAIN. One comment 'My heart is completely broken. I hope we come last in the semifinal. I will never support this song.' :D

I'm just going to say it - I like it a lot more than the Witcher song, and think it's going to be one of the best entries of the year. Well done Poland!

Do the Polish fans even LIKE Eurovision? :D

Anyway yeah this is good, although it doesn't have the same YOU WILL VOTE FOR THIS energy as Justyna did. Appropriately enough it sounds like the kind of thing that would crop up on a daily mix and I'd always pretty much enjoy while not having any strong inclination to add it, which appears to be exactly what has been happening chez @Tisch

Do the Polish fans even LIKE Eurovision? :D

Anyway yeah this is good, although it doesn't have the same YOU WILL VOTE FOR THIS energy as Justyna did. Appropriately enough it sounds like the kind of thing that would crop up on a daily mix and I'd always pretty much enjoy while not having any strong inclination to add it, which appears to be exactly what has been happening chez @Tisch
Yes this exactly. I had no idea it was Eurovision linked or even Polish. Just another indie looking female solo artist with a song that didn't grab me, but I'll obviously give it more of a try through Eurovision eyes now!

The Polish fans are going FERAL and are slating it and saying they are boycotting their entry. AGAIN. One comment 'My heart is completely broken. I hope we come last in the semifinal. I will never support this song.' :D
God they are SUCH idiots. Blanka ended up 8th on the televote and with one of the biggest streaming hits from the contest (Jann could never!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom