Steps - Platinum KNOCKOUT - Round 3

VOTE OUT FIVE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
It's a testament to the level of pop brilliance Steps bring to the table, that there is so much I love going out so early. Therefore I won't call the people who voted for Love U More, The Runner, Neon Blue and No More Tears On the Dancefloor, absolute shit cunts, because the standard of what remains is so high. Two of their number ones are gone in this haul - Stomp and Heartbeat. Although anyone who bought Heartbeat over Tragedy is an absolute wrong un. The loss of the ode to 17th Century poet John Milton was clearly the work of evil Puritans and a purge will commence immediately. Worth having a rewatch of the Stomp video, it's wall-to-wall early 00s choices. But let's discuss 'The Runner'. I'm sure Lolly had his reasons, possibly being a fully grown adult at the time of the Three Degrees original. For the rest of you, however, a disco detention is awaiting you. It's relentless GAY DRAMA and easily one of their best recent covers. Anyway onto the next round and you have five to vote through. This post was made on a hangover. Let the redwoods die.

21 The Runner (8)
21 Stomp (8)
21 Paradise Lost (8)
24 Love U More (9)
25 Neon Blue (10)
26 Heartbeat (11)
27 No More Tears On the Dancefloor (12)
28 Take Me For a Ride (14)
29 Hard 2 Forget (16)

30 Better the Devil You Know (9)
31 A Hundred Years Of Winter (10)
32 Dancing With a Broken Heart (11)
33 Baby Don't Dance (13)
33 Happy (13)
33 Just Like the First Time (13)
36 5,6,7,8 (15)
37 I Know Him So Well (23)
38 When I Said Goodbye (26)
38 Words Are Not Enough (26)

This is getting tricky now but there’s a bit of chaff still left. Story of a Heart must be protected, ABBA reformed just to write that for Steps because they’re such huge fans. Frida famously said the way Lisa’s head bobbles around like a potato on a pipe cleaner in the Chain Reaction video made her tuppence tingle.

I see that all of the ones that I haven't heard are now gone and that you're on the verge of making some incorrect choices, so I guess I'd better start voting. The rest of you must immediately stop voting for 'Say You'll Be Mine'.

I see that all of the ones that I haven't heard are now gone and that you're on the verge of making some incorrect choices, so I guess I'd better start voting. The rest of you must immediately stop voting for 'Say You'll Be Mine'.

SHAN'T!

It's the weakest of the bunch for me. That and Story of a Heart.

Some of their midtempo stuff great. See 'It's the Way...' and 'Here and Now'. But Say You'll Be Mine is only a little bit above Heartbeat for me.

I'm not voting for Tragedy yet. I totally understand why people are voting for it.

I was having a terrible time at the point it came out, full of teenage angst and that, Believe and various other bits of late 90s pop kept me going. That and repeats of Cheers on Paramount at 2am

It's the weakest of the bunch for me. That and Story of a Heart.

Some of their midtempo stuff great. See 'It's the Way...' and 'Here and Now'. But Say You'll Be Mine is only a little bit above Heartbeat for me.
Here and Now is great, but ITWYMMF wasn't too far away from getting a vote for me this round. Story of a Heart was the easiest vote for me, although mostly because of how far inferior it is to the BAO version.

I may be wrong but ITWYMMF held the record for the highest climber on the top 75. Although probably not the top 100. Also WHAT a top 3!

Screenshot_20220826-162838_Chrome.jpg

I may be wrong but ITWYMMF held the record for the highest climber on the top 75. Although probably not the top 100. Also WHAT a top 3!
Because it was released the week after Christmas, stock was delivered to shops early in case of delivery issues and some stores put it on sale early. If its first two weeks were combined it would have been number one easily.

REVERSE STOCKING PROBLEMS :D

Because it was released the week after Christmas, stock was delivered to shops early in case of delivery issues and some stores put it on sale early. If its first two weeks were combined it would have been number one easily.

Yes I recall it was something a bit odd. I recall songs charting twice, with the multiple units rule.

Here and Now is great, but ITWYMMF wasn't too far away from getting a vote for me this round. Story of a Heart was the easiest vote for me, although mostly because of how far inferior it is to the BAO version.
I've just listened to the original Story of a Heart. Fuck me, it's excellent.

How are Better Best Forgotten and Last Thing On My Mind not getting more votes? They're both comparatively pissweak against the rest of this line up.
I've never read anything more wrong.

Both are absolutely tits out unashamed pop.

It’s all relative now anyway about what’s good and what’s not…

Here and Now was a bit of a surprise, but I'm happy say goodbye to After the Love Has Gone.

Although the latter will currently survive this cull.

Here and Now was a bit of a surprise, but I'm happy say goodbye to After the Love Has Gone.

Although the latter will currently survive this cull.
I've always had a real soft spot for After the Love Has Gone; I like the excitement of not knowing if you're supposed to be okay with the wild orientalism that was afoot throughout its whole presentation.

I've always had a real soft spot for After the Love Has Gone; I like the excitement of not knowing if you're supposed to be okay with the wild orientalism that was afoot throughout its whole presentation.
It's OK because LSL identified as Chinese for the whole single campaign.

In that case, I like that Steps took such a confrontational approach to scrutinising cultural appropriation :disco:

The ladies are quite fond of cultural appropriation via hairstyles, with Faye’s dreads too.

And do you remember when Claire Bear had all those Maori tattoos on her face? I forget which single that was

Being a chart geek I just can’t let it go, but not true sadly love. 1,400 week one and 52,000 week two means they never would’ve been #1 as Rui did around 65k. They were much closer to being #3 than #1 that week.

After The Love and Better Best are the main ones I’m gunning for now. Both fine but both much weaker than the other stuff of the time from them.

I love that Rui di Silva got to no.1. Long forgotten by many, much loved by many as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom