Tennis 2023

Usual hard-court Australian swing again. Not alot going on but Novak has been allowed back into Australia again.

Oh, and Feliciano Lopez is retiring at the end of the year. :(

Too many matches in a short space of time leading to fatigue. It might work if it was spread over two weeks or have the semis later in the year.

Feel bad for Emma Raducanu, she just can't catch a break. Hope she isn't another Laura Robson.

Shame Alcaraz is missing the Open but at least he’s got his CK deal to keep him busy.

Khachanov is my tennis crush, and Marton Fucsovics of course.

66e013f721185aefb0e4d8b22f90000e

Khachanov is my tennis crush, and Marton Fucsovics of course.

66e013f721185aefb0e4d8b22f90000e

Literally giving roid rage. :eyes:

A bit much for my liking. Similar to Verdasco or Ryan Harrison who also kept going through total gym-rat phases. Not that there's a "perfect" tennis physique but when you look at the men at the top very few of them were overly "muscular". With Nadal, it's his body type - but if you look at more wiry guys like Medvedev, Djokovic (even Federer, he's toned but never big), it's usually the guys with the great mobility, flexibility etc. that run the tables.

There's only so much you are going to gain by completely buffing out physically if you have other aspects "holding you back" - Petkovic on the women's side is a similar example. Incredibly fit (overdid it in the gym at times) and she improved massively - but her technique always remains a little too mechanic.

Tennis-geek TED talk over.

The next round will be interesting. He's playing Roberto Bautista-Agut who also had a five set match but finished much earlier.

I know it wasn't great for you Andy, but I appreciated being able to have your match on in the background the entire day :)

That quarter of the draw 👀 Shame these five set epics will probably have taken so much energy from him, it looks wide open

Are there any rumours about who is going to be the singer for Tennis in Eurovision 2023?

Just here for the Rybakina-Ostapenko quarters, sorry not sorry.

I’ m never here for Ostapenko tbh but I am very pleased for Azarenka making it this far!

The evil has been defeated.

Poor Rybakina totally unknown by most people - should be ranked No.6 in the world by rights, but yet to crack the top 10. I don\'t think I've ever watched a single match of hers, including the Wimbledon final :D

I don\'t think I've ever watched a single match of hers, including the Wimbledon final :D

You're missing out. Genuinely one of my favourite athletes to watch when she's in flow from a pure ball-striking perspective.

It's funny with Lena cause she was clearly the fastest improving player in the first 2-3 months of 2020 and then covid really put a halt to her surge and it's been a little stuttering afterwards. But she does have more match experience now, moves a little better and really has everything to play for slams for years to come.

I probably am missing out yes but I blame a lot of that on a lack of publicity surrounding her. I barely hear her spoken about and obviously the lack of points from Wimbledon has not helped matters as it kept her outside the top 20, when she was a grand slam champion.

Very excited about Azarenka making the semis... I mean... it would be a big ask for her to take the title, but I'd be totally here for it!

I probably am missing out yes but I blame a lot of that on a lack of publicity surrounding her. I barely hear her spoken about and obviously the lack of points from Wimbledon has not helped matters as it kept her outside the top 20, when she was a grand slam champion.

Very excited about Azarenka making the semis... I mean... it would be a big ask for her to take the title, but I'd be totally here for it!

The way Vika dismantled Pegula today, I wouldn't completely rule it out! But she has to get past Rybakina first so we shall see. In the other half of the draw Sabalenka has looked pretty impressive so far this season (awaits her getting knocked out this evening)

It was a well contested final, the last game was a fight. Wanted Elena to win but felt she was the one hanging on most of the time so Aryna deserved it. However, it was a very lacklustre tournament overall before the final, I’m not going to lie.

It was a well contested final, the last game was a fight. Wanted Elena to win but felt she was the one hanging on most of the time so Aryna deserved it. However, it was a very lacklustre tournament overall before the final, I’m not going to lie.

Yep, it was a dull one on the whole, there's no sugarcoating it.

Not Sabalenka double faulting on the first championship point and needing 4 to get it over the line 🙄 but she did for it. Pleased for her, it was deserved and a great match from both players.

Not Sabalenka double faulting on the first championship point and needing 4 to get it over the line 🙄 but she did for it. Pleased for her, it was deserved and a great match from both players.

I think it encapsulated her last 12 months quite nicely.

But yes, the double fault on first match point was not a huge surprise.

Wanted Elena to get it so she could have her points from Wimbledon a different way, and I struggle with a Grand Slam champion that is so fragile with the double faults (I just hope they are reducing even further going forward). But from the bits I saw this was one of the better Women's Grand Slam finals of the last few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom