The Idol (The Weekend HBO Show)

It was supposed to be 6 but when Sam Levinson took over and butchered it they ended with 5. They just hadn’t announced it.

The Last of Us got a second season after like the second episode. The Idol gets “we haven’t announced if there will be a second season”

once the finale is aired this shit will never return and never be REFERENCED AGAIN, except at HBO financial meetings

Whoever greenlit the decison to scrap the whole completed series and start again deserves never to work in the industry again.

I would love to see the original version of the show. Surely it couldn't have been worse?

The Last of Us got a second season after like the second episode. The Idol gets “we haven’t announced if there will be a second season”

to be fair, after the pilot dropped The Weeknd went on to say that "a second season was never planned, it was always meant to be a limited series" :eyes:

Well I’m still watching this and absolutely AGOG next week is the season finale.

Nothing has happened yet! :D

And him becoming a victim and a hero :zombie:

What’s annoying is that I love the theme (instrumental) song and I can’t stop listening to it. :evil:

I mean it feels like they watched the end of Succession and went “oh that was good. Tom now owns Shiv. Let’s do that for Joss owning Tedros”

Most of that episode was just the X Factor five chair challenge. I did not care for any of it.

And a bloopers real at the end. Succession would never.

Lol not with Zaslav in control

Lol not with Zaslav in control

I had to look him up and the first passage on wiki says it all:

After becoming CEO and president of Discovery in 2006, Zaslav transformed the channel, turning its content from education-oriented programming to reality television.[2]

:bin:

In April 2022, Zaslav spearheaded the merger between Discovery and WarnerMedia to create Warner Bros. Discovery. As head of Warner Bros. Discovery, Zaslav oversaw the re-naming of the streaming service HBO Max to Max,[3]shrank the streaming service's library, and shelved nearly finished films for the sake of tax write-offs.[4]

💩

The problem is the consolidation of the business units. It works from a business sense in terms of cost cutting, distribution (specifically streaming distribution and bundling) and streamlining staff, but they lose the ability to leverage the selling points of the individual units. HBO is not mass market, it’s prestige and premium. MAX is diluting the offering and Idol is exhibit A.

Of course a Discovery CEO is more concerned with streamlining than brand positioning and identity.

Their advantage is their portfolio. They are not Netflix, they are a multitude of Netflixes under one umbrella. Why they are trying to simplify it I have no idea.

It also means that the wall that used to protect HBO is no longer strong enough and the inconsistencies and corporate tampering that blights WB and DC is now probably going to blight HBO.

And then there’s the offloading of classic content (which bothers me less) and the selling of key franchises to competitors (which bothers me more as a precedent which is bad for the consumer, not better as they’re trying to make out).

I wish they’d find a business model and stick with it, but when you keep changing your senior management every couple of years, this is what happens.

I still can't get over the name change to MAX. It's like if Disney Plus changed its name to Plus.

They had an opportunity to leverage the most valuable brand in television to create a platform than can actually compete in the most crowded content market that has ever existed. To set them up for the eventual downfall of cable when the next generation cuts the chord entirely.

I guess they’re hoping MAX will gain standalone traction but they’re essentially starting from scratch in a world where you’re asking people to choose between a growing number of platforms.

Will new HBO productions still be HBO branded, and what will happen to HBO Max shows, will they just be called Max?

Will new HBO productions still be HBO branded, and what will happen to HBO Max shows, will they just be called Max?

HBO as far as I know will still have its own tab on the Max app (that’s only in the US) so they will keep their identity a bit longer as the more high end programming side.

I think HBO was removed from the HBO Max name so not to tarnish the HBO brand. But The Idol’s done that anyway 💩

It’s a race to the bottom between The Idol and And Just Like That (even if the latter is Max).

I sometimes wonder (all the time) if SJP is a bit miffed AJLT didn’t get the (once) prestigious HBO stinger.

I had to look him up and the first passage on wiki says it all:

After becoming CEO and president of Discovery in 2006, Zaslav transformed the channel, turning its content from education-oriented programming to reality television.[2]

:bin:

In April 2022, Zaslav spearheaded the merger between Discovery and WarnerMedia to create Warner Bros. Discovery. As head of Warner Bros. Discovery, Zaslav oversaw the re-naming of the streaming service HBO Max to Max,[3]shrank the streaming service's library, and shelved nearly finished films for the sake of tax write-offs.[4]

💩

If you want more

I know this isn’t the thread for it but who wants to talk about the idol anyway

youtube the evil is defeated GIF

What a disaster. Lovely to see the Discovery-lead HBO division going so well :eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom