The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon Prime)

Watched the first episode and you can definitely see the money. It looks very cinematic with a booming score (that I’ve been listening to separately for 2 weeks now).

I’m intrigued so far, it’s not a property I’m familiar with (I only properly watched the movies last month).

Finding Lenny Henry very distracting for some reason. My brain can't cope with him in a serious fantasy TV show.

The Harefoots are meant to be funny, or at least comical. I surprisingly didn’t hate them.

Enjoyed episode 2 as well. I even thought the dwarves were fun.

Well it was such a joy diving back into this world. I thought the threads woven between the films and this were nicely done. The music is gorgeous, possibly the best element at the moment. I have to say it didn't hold my attention fully and I had to watch the first episode in two parts; I thought they lingered on the Elven Capital a bit too long, they didn't need 15 minutes of Galadriel and Elrond arguing politely. Also I don't really like the new (young) Elrond, he's not at all like Hugo Weaving :angry: Galadriel is great though, as is the smarmy king.

Surprisingly enjoyed the Harefoots. The humans bring a bit of much needed grit to proceedings as well. Love the map sequences, they really help. The sense of foreboding is well done too.

What a month of fantasy this is going to be.

The actress playing Nori is immensely likeable. A good find.

I was quite tired this afternoon (OLD) and was struggling to stay awake through the second half of episode one. Lovely to look at but a bit dry.

I thought the second episode was much more involving. Less elves probably helped, but I found the stuff with the dwarves surprisingly enjoyable. I thought Galadriel was good with Halbrand too.

I love it. The story is somber enough to make the show 'serious', but the acting and production are wholesome and kinda playful. It's exactly what classic fantasy feels like. Very much in line with the films I think.

And the actress playing Galadriel 😍😍 She's not even the best actor on the show, but she's so charming. Her ability to play the righteous protagonist SO WELL.

Another great episode. Things sliding into place and some nice mythology reveals for the fans. The harefoot scenes were a little slower this week but I'm a little bit obsessed with Poppy and Nori.

It just looks so fucking good. We got the ship race scene for nothing other than the visuals and the Harefoots costumes and then travel scene :disco:

The orcs also look really fantastic. It makes me feel sad a bit that Wheel of Time didn’t get the same level of budget and you could see them fighting against the limitations.

Oh and Galadriel on the horse with the fabric flowing :wow:

oh God Wheel Of Time. I remember quite liking that at the time (with no context of the books). Totally pales in comparison to this.

I'm surprised by some of the gore in this one. Feels quite shocking in Tolkien land even though the story is obviously quite violent.

I thought the gore was mild, compared to GoT you expect a throat slit to cause a shower of blood not just a trickle.

Oh yes compared to GoT it's nothing. But i found it a bit more on display than usual, with the warg especially.

Yeah I think the show is definitely more wholesome than GoT, but there's still enough grit to it.

I was just thinking the other day that I haven’t seen Dominic thingy since Lost

He looks like Ryan Giggs’ nerdier brother

That image took me a minute, I thought it was just three middle aged blokes attending a Comic-Con

What a wonderful 4th episode! :o

A special mention for the music AGAIN and of course the cinematography, both of which just seem like a given at this point, they are always so on point. The script also is wonderful, and while I think the delivery is a bit cheesy in places (no different to Peter Jackson's LOTR really) it's more than made up for the great moments from a largely stellar cast. I can't decide whether the actress playing Galadriel is getting all the best lines or whether she's just perfect at delivering the Tolkien dialogue. Her back and forths with the Numenor Queen (princess?) were fabulous. Loving the continous references to LOTR, notably the mithril (sp?) reveal.

I haven't quite figured out yet (are we supposed to know?) whether
Adar is Sauron - I seem to recall a reference in the books to him being an elf before he became evil, but I could be getting confused with a different mythology
but I'm liking that new character.

I loved this episode.

Galadriel is so dreamy 😍😍 I'm great over heels in love with her. So heroic, so brave. And obviously stunning.

I think my only complaint is that it's a bit too...clean? I mean it doesn't have to be gruesome or gory or anything, but for something set in such a gritty setting the costumes often look a bit too PRESSED AND DRYCLEANED.

I think my only complaint is that it's a bit too...clean? I mean it doesn't have to be gruesome or gory or anything, but for something set in such a gritty setting the costumes often look a bit too PRESSED AND DRYCLEANED.

Mythril detergent defends against grime and daily wear and tear :o

Mythril detergent defends against grime and daily wear and tear :o
Sls Detergent GIF by Twice

This feels like it's finally starting to go somewhere, but it's still a lot of exposition and I can't shake the feeling that they splurged too much on the production design and too little on hiring decent writers.

The little scene where the numanumaneryans were all "THEY TOOK AR JOBS!!!" about the ELVES was so cringey I very nearly turned inside out.

Not watched episode 4 yet so won't read the above but I am loving this. It feels dreamy, luxurious and very faithful. Galadriel is extremely likeable.

Quick question though and spoilers I guess, but for those with some knowledge of the wider lore..

I assume Isildur is the very same that cut Sauron's arm off with the one ring on? That is all in the future, right? And was that THE main ring, i.e the one from LOTR, or was it one of the many sub-rings dished out to humans, elves etc? I don't know what time frame we're at here but assume there's going to be a lot of forward jumping

This feels like it's finally starting to go somewhere, but it's still a lot of exposition and I can't shake the feeling that they splurged too much on the production design and too little on hiring decent writers.

The little scene where the numanumaneryans were all "THEY TOOK AR JOBS!!!" about the ELVES was so cringey I very nearly turned inside out.
that first guy yeah, a bit, but it's good to get Pharazon established as a populist, he's easily been the character I've been most anticipating with this adaptation.

that said, I've been loving it through and through so far, Arondir in particular has been doing excellent performances and everywhere else is full of little lore drops.

I assume Isildur is the very same that cut Sauron's arm off with the one ring on? That is all in the future, right? And was that THE main ring, i.e the one from LOTR, or was it one of the many sub-rings dished out to humans, elves etc? I don't know what time frame we're at here but assume there's going to be a lot of forward jumping
Yes it's the same Isildur. I'm not sure what ring you mean but none of the Rings Of Power have been made yet, that will happen in Eregion where Elrond and Celebrimbor are now. We're in the years before the prologue right now - though they condensed the timeline for the show as the rings were made about 1000 years before Isildur was born in Tolkien's writings

I don't entirely understand why the Orcs are basically vampires in this version of the universe, as I'm pretty sure they had plenty of broad daylight fight scenes in the movies?

However, this scene was probably my favourite in the show so far. The voice, the cinematography - chills! I really hope Princess Disa gets a bit more to do in future episodes.

Last edited:
Yes it's the same Isildur. I'm not sure what ring you mean but none of the Rings Of Power have been made yet, that will happen in Eregion where Elrond and Celebrimbor are now. We're in the years before the prologue right now - though they condensed the timeline for the show as the rings were made about 1000 years before Isildur was born in Tolkien's writings

Ah thank you, that makes sense. I did wonder if there would be some extreme condensing as otherwise some of the races with shorter lives wouldn't be around for long.

I meant the "One Ring" that Sauron created away from the rest, destroyed by Frodo. I assume that's what the character we were talking about cut off Sauron (I read it ages ago but couldn't remember for sure).

I don't know how far the show intends to go post-Rings creation but again I'm assuming a lot of condensing will be needed or else INSANE time jumps

I don't entirely understand why the Orcs are basically vampires in this version of the universe, as I'm pretty sure they had plenty of broad daylight fight scenes in the movies?

However, this scene was probably my favourite in the show so far. The voice, the cinematography - chills! I really hope Princess Disa gets a bit more to do in future episodes.

I think Orcs have always been anti daylight. In LOTR they only feature at night, underground, or in Mordor where they are protected by Sauron’s shadow.

You might be thinking of Urukai, who are part elf blood and can exist in day or night.

I might be wrong as my lore isn’t that strong. @Phoenix might be able to confirm.

I checked. It’s Uruk-hai and they are half orc half goblin-men, which is ethnically close to elves apparently.

Can’t find anything about being in daylight.

I unfortunately know nothing about LotR lore, it’s just not my genre of fantasy.

Im still enjoying this, I love that Numenor is based on Babel architecturally with lots of deep blues and the queen is styled based on a painting of Zenobia

It was the "Elf Lover!" chant that sent me :D Ridiculous

Reactions: VoR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom