TV Ratings 2024

Kevin Lygo (director at ITV) has said that Mr Bates vs The Post Office brought 5m new users to ITVX, which is astonishing.
Marina Hyde said it’s currently at over 15m viewers. Is that in the same article?

This is so depressing.

OK, I get that, given the subject matter, it will have little international appeal.

Yet, we're talking about a show with almost 10 million viewers! If ITV can't profit from that, it just reaffirms why they need to pump out three hours of substandard Coronation Street and fill the schedules with repeats of quiz shows.

ITV must have factored the projected appeal of Mr Bates vs The Post Office into the casting and location. Yet, somehow, despite the show performing well beyond what surely anyone (even ITV) predicted, it's somehow still going to go down as a commercial failure. That is MADNESS :D

What is it with the undying love for the BBC and constant hate on ITV? I watch and enjoy programmes on both. ITV has annoying adverts but that shouldn’t bother anyone in this era surely? :D I know I have been supportive to ITV but only because I always back the underdog in these situations.

It's a comment on the Torygraph having the chance to bash two of their favourite targets in one article rather than anything else.

It's a comment on the Torygraph having the chance to bash two of their favourite targets in one article rather than anything else.

I am sure you have even said yourself though that you enjoy the chance to jump on ITV, and I was just wondering if it was something I was missing? I know their have been a fair few ITV is for pov’s (not from you) etc comments but is it a class thing or something I have missed completely? I am more interested than anything else as to my eyes both play very similar programmes and are both riddled with repeats.

I tend to prefer BBC shows to ITV ones for a variety of reasons I know we've discussed at least once before. And I remember a few months ago someone (I think possibly @Finn) made an excellent post about the BBC and why arguably they are the underdog (which I appreciate may seem like a ridiculous assertion when you consider how they are funded) in the current climate.

I tend to prefer BBC shows to ITV ones for a variety of reasons I know we've discussed at least once before. And I remember a few months ago someone (I think possibly @Finn) made an excellent post about the BBC and why arguably they are the underdog (which I appreciate may seem like a ridiculous assertion when you consider how they are funded) in the current climate.

I can’t recall that post?

It’s totally your prerogative to enjoy BBC shows to ITV one’s. I follow the news loosely but know BBC is far superior for that but I love several BBC AND ITV shows. Dramas (not soaps) would be my preferred on both and think they both make some compelling, fabulous television. The ITV let down has always been adverts but I just record and watch 15 minutes behind.

Actually I have just saw an advert for Eurovision. Would that be a big reason why Moopy leans mostly to BBC?

I don't prefer one or the other either (mostly on account of not watching enough TV anymore) but they have always leaned into slightly different audiences and with material to suit that, but with a lot of meeting in the middle too. It's hard to argue with the fact the BBC is more varied and obviously prides itself on high quality documentaries. They probably aim a bit more out the box with their dramas too (because they can), they still try with comedy (ITV almost never does), and of course all the radio and internet related services are top notch. It's easy to see why it's preferred.

ITV has always aimed more working class, in a good way, and that difference has worked well for their rivalry in decades past, but this does lead to ridiculous snobbery. Because of this they are much less varied overall though. They have had to play safer in many respects, probably owing to adverts.

I do think the lines are more blurred nowadays. And if you take both channel's Saturday night line ups from the past few years, those shows could be on either of them.

Really though, if you didn't know either channel at all, and spent a few days browsing on iplayer vs ITVX, I'm pretty sure you'd find more variation and bang for your buck with the BBC (plus, yes, no fucking ads)

I don't prefer one or the other either (mostly on account of not watching enough TV anymore) but they have always leaned into slightly different audiences and with material to suit that, but with a lot of meeting in the middle too. It's hard to argue with the fact the BBC is more varied and obviously prides itself on high quality documentaries. They probably aim a bit more out the box with their dramas too (because they can), they still try with comedy (ITV almost never does), and of course all the radio and internet related services are top notch. It's easy to see why it's preferred.

ITV has always aimed more working class, in a good way, and that difference has worked well for their rivalry in decades past, but this does lead to ridiculous snobbery. Because of this they are much less varied overall though. They have had to play safer in many respects, probably owing to adverts.

I do think the lines are more blurred nowadays. And if you take both channel's Saturday night line ups from the past few years, those shows could be on either of them.

I don’t think I follow either closely enough and can’t see myself spending a few days browsing iplayer or ITV X to find noticeable differences. :D.

What dramas would you say they aim more outside the box with than ITV? I would say they are very much on par on what they show drama wise and both of very similar quality. Yeah, sure you get more gripping dramas than others but both to me show the same amount as compelling and addictive dramas and not so much but that would then come down to taste.

I think that is why I always jump on it to be honest as I am from very working class roots and I think so are the majority of Moopy and the sheer snobbery towards ITV is very HYACINTH BUCKET.

Last edited:
I don’t think I follow either closely enough and can’t see myself spending a few days browsing iplayer or ITV X to find noticeable differences. :D.

What dramas would you say they aim more outside the box with than ITV? I would say they are very much on par on what they show drama wise and both of very similar quality. Yeah, sure you get more gripping dramas than others but both to me show the same amount as compelling and addictive dramas and not so much but that would then come down to taste.

I think that is why I always jump on it to be honest as I am from very working class roots and I think so are the majority of Moopy and the sheer snobbery towards BBC is very HYACINTH BUCKET.

I mean I don't have a handy list :D As I say, I think the lines are more blurred nowadays. But historically (and still today in a way) I would say ITV lean more into safe detective dramas, which yes BBC do too, but for example you would never get stuff like I May Destroy You on any ITV channel, and I think things like Vigil and Bodyguard feel more like bigger budget BBC orientated dramas. And things like Doctor Who, His Dark Materials, Merlin - ITV rarely touch stuff like that. Likewise for comedy, things like Mandy and Cunk on Earth type shows. And adaptations, the BBC are far more likely to make the "classics" like Bleak House.

I'm not saying all of that is BETTER. I just think they're more varied overall.

But you're right, many of their shows are interchangeable. And I agree with you, I hate the snobbery. I do root for ITV in a way because of that (despite not watching much these days) and also feel it's had more of an uphill battle as its whole structure is built around adverts. I think it's nice to see both channels still have successes occasionally when they've got so much to compete with now

As a viewer, I have two major observations of ITV:
  • I don't particularly like how transparently they manipulate viewer votes to suit their narrative. For example, Love Island frequently flits between "vote to save" and "vote to leave" with no rhyme or reason, depending on which couples are at risk in order to try and protect certain characters. That, for me, slightly spoils my enjoyment of what is supposed to be an interactive show where the viewer is ostensibly in control. It used to happen with increasing frequency on The X Factor as well. It's not to say the BBC don't do much the same thing; one need only look at Phil reaching the final of The Apprentice despite losing nine tasks in a row. However, there's no viewer vote, so I suppose I'd rather have no control than be offered the facade of having one.

• I'd say overall, the BBC are much better in terms of their channel branding and organisation. ITV have, in fairness, trimmed down what was a very bloated list of channels. All the same, it's not really clear to me why Love Island, for example, is on ITV2, but TOWIE is on ITVBe, since they both surely fall under "reality TV and lifestyle". I sort of know what I'd expect to see on ITV3 and ITV4, but I'm still not entirely sure why the ITV3 schedule might be filled with classic detective and murder mystery dramas in the afternoon, but then start showing snooker one evening and then show it on ITV4 the following evening.
There are things the BBC doesn't do well before @Rita comes swinging for me :D But this is purely in terms of where I think there is a clear divide in perception, as opposed, necessarily, to content.

I hate the snobbery. I do root for ITV in a way because of that (despite not watching much these days) and also feel it's had more of an uphill battle as its whole structure is built around adverts. I think it's nice to see both channels still have successes occasionally when they've got so much to compete with now
This is EXACTLY the way I feel.

Actually I have just saw an advert for Eurovision. Would that be a big reason why Moopy leans mostly to BBC?
Not the way they have treated it for the last 20 years!

As a viewer, I have two major observations of ITV:
  • I don't particularly like how transparently they manipulate viewer votes to suit their narrative. For example, Love Island frequently flits between "vote to save" and "vote to leave" with no rhyme or reason, depending on which couples are at risk in order to try and protect certain characters. That, for me, slightly spoils my enjoyment of what is supposed to be an interactive show where the viewer is ostensibly in control. It used to happen with increasing frequency on The X Factor as well. It's not to say the BBC don't do much the same thing; one need only look at Phil reaching the final of The Apprentice despite losing nine tasks in a row. However, there's no viewer vote, so I suppose I'd rather have no control than be offered the facade of having one.

• I'd say overall, the BBC are much better in terms of their channel branding and organisation. ITV have, in fairness, trimmed down what was a very bloated list of channels. All the same, it's not really clear to me why Love Island, for example, is on ITV2, but TOWIE is on ITVBe, since they both surely fall under "reality TV and lifestyle". I sort of know what I'd expect to see on ITV3 and ITV4, but I'm still not entirely sure why the ITV3 schedule might be filled with classic detective and murder mystery dramas in the afternoon, but then start showing snooker one evening and then show it on ITV4 the following evening.
There are things the BBC doesn't do well before @Rita comes swinging for me :D But this is purely in terms of where I think there is a clear divide in perception, as opposed, necessarily, to content.

I suppose I don’t look at it with such detail and use television as “down time” and that does tend to be mindless reality tv or dramas that can let my mind run away for a while. I love programmes on both sides and probably did watch a bit more BBC than ITV if I look at the ratings list when I was based in the UK.

Thankyou for giving me a reason of preference rather than the usual “ITV has rubbish quality tv” or “I just prefer BBC”. I am not nitpicking with anyone and clearly everyone can prefer one channel to the other as they so wish , but I find it interesting as in my “real life” I have never noticed anyone have an ITV vs BBC thing going on and people just watch whatever they enjoy. 🤷‍♀️

I agree entirely with Raining on Me’s last paragraph though. The snobbery part is tiresome and would be the reason I always stick up for ITV but in all honesty I couldn’t really care less and it would never bother me if a tv show was shown on BBC/ITV and would watch either without thinking too much in to it.

Last edited:
Not the way they have treated it for the last 20 years!

Indeed!

Some may baulk at the suggestion, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to trialling Eurovision on ITV precisely because it's one of those circumstances where they have a much more immediate commercial interest in who represents the United Kingdom.

Regardless of how the BBC chooses the act, they're still limited to some degree in how aggressively they can market and promote because of the rules around advertising and promotion. Having Olly Alexander pop up in EastEnders is a quirky move, but I'm not sure how it benefits the song at an international level.

April 15 - 21

01 Britain's Got Talent 6.585m
02 Red Eye 6.049m
03 The Apprentice 6.024m
04 Beyond Paradise 5.533m
05 Race Across The World 5.023m
06 Blue Lights 4.816m
07 The 1% Club 4.721m
08 Coronation Street 4.363m
09 Have I Got News For You 3.971m
10 FA Cup: Coventry vs Manchester United 3.929m
11 Emmerdale 3.840m
12 EastEnders 3.804m
13 FA Cup: Manchester City vs Chelsea 3.782m
14 Mammals 3.754m
15 Antiques Roadshow 3.602m
16 Gogglebox 3.514m
17 BBC News At Six 3.399m
18 The Apprentice: You're Fired! 3.366m
19 Masterchef 3.351m
20 Professor T 3.036m

@Finn, the first two episodes of Baby Reindeer made the top 50 shows this week. The first episode had 2.843m, and the second 2.556m.

Surprised Red Eye opened with that and Passenger mustered something like 3m

I do like anything on a plane though!

Nice to see Blue Lights up there too

Surprised Red Eye opened with that and Passenger mustered something like 3m

I do like anything on a plane though!

Nice to see Blue Lights up there too

Passenger looked like it was going to be so much better than it was. Some of the writing was great as in I thought the characters were good, especially the lead but the plot was a load of shit.

EastEnders and Emmerdale are getting remarkably close. The average for the week was even closer with Emmerdale on 3.84m, and EastEnders on 3.81m.

EastEnders and Emmerdale are getting remarkably close. The average for the week was even closer with Emmerdale on 3.84m, and EastEnders on 3.81m.
The figure I post in the chart is the average. Not sure if the 6k difference is just from rounding decimals, but it's an acceptable margin of error.

The figure I post in the chart is the average. Not sure if the 6k difference is just from rounding decimals, but it's an acceptable margin of error.

Quite possibly. I'm only going off the DS soap ratings thread:

Barb Officials w/c 15th April 2024:

Coronation Street:

Mon: 4.46m
Wed: 4.33m
Fri: 4.31m

Avg.: 4.37m (down 300k yoy)

Emmerdale:

Mon: 3.92m
Tue: 3.93m
Wed: 3.81m
Thu: 3.75m
Fri: 3.78m

Avg.: 3.84m (down 280k yoy)

EastEnders:

Mon: 3.91m (+1.52m)
Tue: 3.76m [+1.47m]
Wed: 3.75m [+1.68m]

Avg.: 3.81m (up 420k yoy)

Source: Barb

Barb figures include devices and pre-transmission.

The year-on-year comparison isn't the difference to date this year; the poster compares to the same period last year. Therefore, I'm going to assume EastEnders had a particularly bad week in 2023 for it to be 420,000 up this year.

The year-on-year comparison isn't the difference to date this year; the poster compares to the same period last year. Therefore, I'm going to assume EastEnders had a particularly bad week in 2023 for it to be 420,000 up this year.

I go off BARB which is to three decimal places, so presumably more accurate.

confused-calculating-woman-q7p1db3imynp9972.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom