UK coffee chains - what do you think?

The first time I visited a Dunkin' Donuts was the one at Piccadilly Circus in the very early 90s. I remember being very disappointed by the experience. I thought there would be a range of things you could dunk donuts in, but no, it was just different flavoured donuts. I've rarely felt so conned.
SAME HERE. We used to go there before heading to a hot nitespot. I don’t think I expected or wanted to be able to DUNK them though. Wouldn’t have wanted a soggy mess all over my disco dress :(

On this note, are Krispy Kremes crispy? NO THEY AREN’T. CALL TRADING STANDARDS!

The first time I visited a Dunkin' Donuts was the one at Piccadilly Circus in the very early 90s. I remember being very disappointed by the experience. I thought there would be a range of things you could dunk donuts in, but no, it was just different flavoured donuts. I've rarely felt so conned.
I remember going to one in a MOTORWAY SERVICE STATION in the 90s on the way up to Cumbria and being ENTRANCED by the chocolate dipping sauce

My home made coffees are nowhere to be found in any high street. Is it so hard to have them fill the tall paper cup halfway with coffee mate or an equivalent? So I just go for a mocha, but can't say I'm a regular anywhere give any names as having to speak to a stranger is something I am avoiding more and more these days.

I like the atmosphere in Coffee #1. The sofas and interior decor say "I'm meant to be working but no-one will begrudge me catching up on my novel instead." I'm over the tax dodging thing with Starbucks (aren't they all at it?) now and therefore am partial to their oat lattes. Costa is vile - all the furnishings are so hard that it is incredibly noisy/echoey in all of them, the coffee has the texture of engine oil and the toilets are disgusting.

I was surprised to see Costa appear in Japan, which is a big coffee drinking country (tea too before you start).
Although that’s only bottled coffee (which as I’m typing that probably sounds strange)

If you want weaker coffee you apparently ask for American Coffee!

I didn't realise Costa was now owned by Coca Cola. I thought it was still owned by Whitbread, but they sold it in 2019.

To be honest, coffee in the UK is my favorite brew. Overall, it's ok but like any coffee lover, I have my preferences. Each chain brings something unique to the table but there's a spectrum of opinions. Some offer great brews, while others might miss the mark. To be honest, the tastiest coffee I make by myself.

Last edited:
I just drink coffee at home and don't spend money on it, coffee at Starbucks is quite expensive

How did you get the coffee at home if you didn't spend money on it? Are you admitting to being a shoplifter?
very funny, I don't spend money on coffee in a cafe, but if you want, you can go buy it to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom