A lockdown countdown - funky: The Lost Years (2015-19)

I've actually got Pink, Lady Gaga, Ciara, and Dua Lipa and more still to come !

(though probably not the tracks you want/think)

83. Shura - White Light

I love it 'cause: this song, this artist, this album, is just.... everything. I have no words. When this came along I was already enjoying a resurgence in a nice mix of accessible music for me - Jessie Ware et al - but still mostly dance and R&B leaning. Then Shura comes along... now, don't get me wrong, I am aware that this sort of 80s throwback, low-fi, 1st-Madonna-album-era joyous pop music was already been peddled by a few other artists, particlarly the Scandi ones (hello to Robyn deserving a a lot more credit than she gets) but Shura just hit a whole new level for me. Understated, melancholic, just beautifully crafted pop music. There are at least EIGHT incredible songs on her debut album, and I encourage all moopy people to ensure they are familiar. I am very sorry to have missed the Shura journey on moopy.

As a sidenote and for context, I decided to disqualify "Touch" because it came out a year prior to the album and I was actually still hovering on moopy then. Had I included it, it would be #1 on this list. I'm not 100% sure, but with a gun to my head, it might actually be the best song of the 21st Century.

For. Real.

86. Dusky - Cold Heart

I love it 'cause: COME THROUGH DEEP HOUSE :disco: the genre that can truly send me over the edge. I do get that the real deep-dub-and-dirty deep house mightn't be for everyone compared to commercial vocal house - it's more repetitive and progressive and more of a mood than a bop. But when it hits right, it really HITS. The production on this is sublime, and in fact Dusky are one of the go-to for quality deep house the past few years.

Now THIS is new to me, and it's fucking gorgeous.

I might have to reassess late-2010s dance if there are gems like this knocking about.

82. FKA Twigs - Good To Love

I love it 'cause:
Well I think I've already covered it in the FKA Twigs thread, and she's having a good year so far, but I'd normally and generally file her under "Bjork" for obviously talented artists that are just two leftfield for me to really appreciate on the regular. But this is more her Kate Bush moment - the lush arrangement and the absolutely timeless melody/vocal definitely made me understand why she has such an avid following.

81. Nick Jonas - Under You

I love it 'cause: I've said it elsewhere - I love it when artists surprise you. Couldn't sing you a Jonas Bros track, and had him down as more of a celebrity than a pop star. But this movement of low-fi, 80s and 90s influences infiltrating pop stars in the last 4 years has uncovered a wealth of music I would normally ignore. See also Charlie Puth and Shawn Mendes, who I could pick some stellar tracks from in the last couple of years. This album gave us the quite brilliant "Jealous" and I remember also loving another funky jam called "Chainsaw", but this song just bites. Catchy as fuck.

80. Wolf Alice - Don't Delete The Kisses

I love it 'cause: it's such an anthem! If there is such a thing as "nu wave" (and I love a good sub genre) then this is it. So 80s, and yet so now. I'm not sure where it fits into the new wave resurgence with The 1975, The Pale Waves, Chvrches et al, but I feel this track in particular has played an important, if understated, part.

79. Miley Cyrus - Slide Away

I love it 'cause: oh where to begin. Rarely has my head been turned so aggressively by an artist from a single track. I detested all that Wrecking Ball era, I just thought it was so try hard and headline chasing, trying to be subversive but just looking like a twat. To be FAIR, if I was in my 20s I might have enjoyed it much more, it isn't really that much different to Christina's Stripped era and I was there for that in 2002. But EVERYTHING about this song hits hard. The intro, the instrumentation, they lyrics, the vocal execution, the way the song breathes and sustains... I'd like to think she was hands on in the production of this one and that she really does have some genuine talent beyond being a pop star. I honestly didn't know she had this in her, but safe to say that Miley is very MUCH on my radar from now on.

78. Maribou State - Nervous Tics

I love it 'cause: I love it when a song can get under your skin. The production harks to the 70s funk that we've heard recently from the likes of Jungle: the funky guitar licks, the heavy strings and drum loops. But it's ALL about that beautiful, haunting vocal reverb from Holly Walker which is so addictive. I recommend Maribou State for any alt-pop fans; they collaborate with some great singers and their recent album Kingdom In Colour is very strong overall.

77. Fenech-Soler - Be Someone

I love it 'cause: more nu wave! You can probably define the 80s explosion into two halves: pre and post Stranger Things Season 1. Because while every pop star and his dog is now producing music with moody synths and drum machines, there was actually a ton of it in the more underground pop scene in the middle of the decade. This is one of my most memorable highlights. A song that makes you want to cry and dance at the same time? Yes please.

76. Foxes - Body Talk

I love it 'cause: well, the theme continues. This would actually fit perfectly on a season of Stranger Things. Five years old now and probably deserves a bit of credit for preceding the current craze by quite a few years because while this is very much 80s tastic it's more in the pure pop vein that seems to have become very popular recently. Foxes emerged around the time when I was fading away from Moopy and missed the opportunity to rave about the output, because this is just a highlight of a great so-far discography. We need a new album, stat.

75. Madonna - Medellin (ft Maluma)

I love it 'cause: I guess it's nice to know the old woman can still bring such joy. This really had no right to be a great song, but it really was. What a chorus. Since MDNA and Rebel Heart I've just had no time for her to be honest. Take all the criticism and none of the defence aimed at her the last ten years and, yeah that's me. I felt like I was one of the last ones to really stick by her as well, even through Hard Candy. Don't get me wrong, the catalogue means she's still probably my... let me think.... second favourite artist of all time. You can't really knock that. I would love a really good pop album again though. Just one more before she stops. Or turns into a cyborg.

81. Nick Jonas - Under You

I love it 'cause: I've said it elsewhere - I love it when artists surprise you. Couldn't sing you a Jonas Bros track, and had him down as more of a celebrity than a pop star. But this movement of low-fi, 80s and 90s influences infiltrating pop stars in the last 4 years has uncovered a wealth of music I would normally ignore. See also Charlie Puth and Shawn Mendes, who I could pick some stellar tracks from in the last couple of years. This album gave us the quite brilliant "Jealous" and I remember also loving another funky jam called "Chainsaw", but this song just bites. Catchy as fuck.

79. Miley Cyrus - Slide Away

I love it 'cause: oh where to begin. Rarely has my head been turned so aggressively by an artist from a single track. I detested all that Wrecking Ball era, I just thought it was so try hard and headline chasing, trying to be subversive but just looking like a twat. To be FAIR, if I was in my 20s I might have enjoyed it much more, it isn't really that much different to Christina's Stripped era and I was there for that in 2002. But EVERYTHING about this song hits hard. The intro, the instrumentation, they lyrics, the vocal execution, the way the song breathes and sustains... I'd like to think she was hands on in the production of this one and that she really does have some genuine talent beyond being a pop star. I honestly didn't know she had this in her, but safe to say that Miley is very MUCH on my radar from now on.

I love it 'cause: I guess it's nice to know the old woman can still bring such joy. This really had no right to be a great song, but it really was. What a chorus. Since MDNA and Rebel Heart I've just had no time for her to be honest. Take all the criticism and none of the defence aimed at her the last ten years and, yeah that's me. I felt like I was one of the last ones to really stick by her as well, even through Hard Candy. Don't get me wrong, the catalogue means she's still probably my... let me think.... second favourite artist of all time. You can't really knock that. I would love a really good pop album again though. Just one more before she stops. Or turns into a cyborg.

Oh hello, this got way more pop than I was expecting :disco:

Did you like any of the rest of Madame X or was it just Medellin that tickled your fancy?

74. KT Tunstall - Poison In Your Cup

I love it 'cause: I'm a sucker for a good soulful, acoustic ditty, channeling Stevie Nicks and Bonnie Raitt here. Did anyone know KT Tunstall still made music? Does our queen of lesbian music @Kate like her? I haven't stopped following because every album is consistent and there's usually 3 or 4 corkers on every one. This was my highlight from the Wax album which was very good. Although the double album Invisible Empire remains her best IMO.

Oh hello, this got way more pop than I was expecting :disco:

Did you like any of the rest of Madame X or was it just Medellin that tickled your fancy?

To be honest I gave it a couple of gos and while there wasn't much I HATED, it just didn't stick with me. It was very well crafted but all a bit artsy fancy for me. Growing up from Holiday through Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light it's just not what I want from Madonna (call me narrow minded). I just wish she'd do some stuff for the FANZ again. She's just so interested in being an ARTISTÉ. I did like I Don't Search I'll Find - that has some stonking remixes.

The point of this thread was to prove how much I like GOOD pop music so good to know it's working :D there's much more pop to come.

73. Two Door Cinema Club - Think

I love it 'cause: part of that nu wave stuff, innit. So many indie bands (Friendly Fires spring to mind) have shifted to electro pop / new wave in the last few years and I'm all in for it. The last TDCC was FANTASTIC, and honestly had so many songs to choose from here, but I went with this midtempo pop track, heading closely into Nu Disco territory ( @Jark ), giving us everything from Duran Duran, Daft Punk, Hurts and Chromeo... I mean take your pick, it's such a fabulous mish mash, and I love the gospel vocal in the background of the chorus. I recommend giving these a whirl.

To be honest I gave it a couple of gos and while there wasn't much I HATED, it just didn't stick with me. It was very well crafted but all a bit artsy fancy for me. Growing up from Holiday through Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light it's just not what I want from Madonna (call me narrow minded). I just wish she'd do some stuff for the FANZ again. She's just so interested in being an ARTISTÉ. I did like I Don't Search I'll Find - that has some stonking remixes.

The point of this thread was to prove how much I like GOOD pop music so good to know it's working :D there's much more pop to come.

The trouble is when she tries pop these days it turns out like Bitch I'm Madonna... So I prefer when she's trying to have a bit of artistic credibility at least! My big keeper from Madame X is Crave, which is worth another listen

This also just came up on YouTube and I'm thinking I should have picked this track instead. That BASSLINE :disco:

The trouble is when she tries pop these days it turns out like Bitch I'm Madonna... So I prefer when she's trying to have a bit of artistic credibility at least! My big keeper from Madame X is Crave, which is worth another listen

Yeah she can't even get pop right any more that's the problem. She doesn't have any excuse really, not when Kylie, Miley, Robyn, Gaga are producing music in 2020 that's retro and fresh and fabulous. She just wants to do her own thing. Fair play to her. I just don't like her direction. And I hate her take on europop. She went in with Celebration and Revolver (ugh) and hasn't really deviated from it since. Someone tell her David Guetta came and went about 300 years ago.

Of course there have been exceptions. I loved "Living For Love". I just haven't been able to listen to it since she was catapulted by her own cape.

Funks you are taking me on some JOURNEYS.

Through this thread I am discovering new stuff, discovering stuff by artists I knew I liked already AND remembering long forgotten stuff

And I'm also relishing in you admitting you like some old Marge.

Continue it ALL! (Can't wait for #1 to be I Will Always Love You)

Actually not bad this. Bit disquieting that the video has a young bloke being molested by his distant ancestor, but I get the feeling that you have to just put up with that sort of stuff in order to objectively appreciate Madonna's post-centenary output.

Actually not bad this. Bit disquieting that the video has a young bloke being molested by his distant ancestor, but I get the feeling that you have to just put up with that sort of stuff in order to objectively appreciate Madonna's post-centenary output.

Distant ancestor :D

Poor Madonna.

Funks you are taking me on some JOURNEYS.

Through this thread I am discovering new stuff, discovering stuff by artists I knew I liked already AND remembering long forgotten stuff

And I'm also relishing in you admitting you like some old Marge.

Continue it ALL! (Can't wait for #1 to be I Will Always Love You)

Amazing! Couldn't ask for more. Discovery is the most wonderful part of music.

And I'll always stand by old Madonna. Seriously she was my favourite artist growing up and Ray Of Light and Bedtime Stories are in my top ten albums of all time. So yeah, I still love Madonna.

88. Anderson Paak - Jet Black (ft Brandy)

I love it 'cause: it's REAL R&B :) this one more of a grower and Brandy really adds to this (oh look @Whatevar and @dUb ) Anderson Paak is probably my favourite rapper right now, he brings that old school groove and he always has something to say. The Ventura album featuring this song was tremendous. And his new BLM anthem Lockdown is one of the best songs of 2020.

love this funks

95. Flume - Never Be Like You (ft Kai)

I love it 'cause: it's an anthem among anthems. That vocal! I always wanted to love Flume, because the internet seemed a bit obsessed them, but they were generally a bit noisy and messy for me (I know that was the point, and I could appreciate their production talents, but not my thing). I was glad I could join in with their signature moment. This really is special.

I love love love Never Be Like You - discovered it a little late and it's one of my most regularly played dance tracks ever since. Who is Kai? Her vocal is absolutely spectacular. An utter feel-good classic.

Sidenote: Kelly Clarkson did a cover for her Kellyoake series on Youtube and it's fucking great.

91. Chvrches - Clearest Blue

I love it 'cause: of that build and breakdown. Seriously, that breakdown - it's as good as any club song :disco: the way it progressively builds, and the vocal tells the story along with it, it's such a fabulous journey. I love songs that can have that impact. This is the core side of pop music I got back into the last few years - funky electro synth pop with singer-songwriter sensibility. There's a few more obvious choices of that sound in this list without revealing too much. In the meantime...

you can just keep me, tell me, tell me tell me you'll meet me, tell me tell me you'll meet me, WILL YOU MEET ME MORE THAN HALFWAY, YEAH! *dies*

OMG. What a song. Every Open Eye is a fantastic record almost start to end (especially the first five tracks which hold a forever place in my heart) and Leave A Trace and this are both among my favourites of the last decade (which Moopy would know if I ever finished that damn countdown). You're right, it's all about the journey with this one. The climax is blinding (especially the adlibs over the instrumental - will you meet me more than halfway?). Their last album was such a major disappointment, I hope they get it back.

83. Shura - White Light

I love it 'cause: this song, this artist, this album, is just.... everything. I have no words. When this came along I was already enjoying a resurgence in a nice mix of accessible music for me - Jessie Ware et al - but still mostly dance and R&B leaning. Then Shura comes along... now, don't get me wrong, I am aware that this sort of 80s throwback, low-fi, 1st-Madonna-album-era joyous pop music was already been peddled by a few other artists, particlarly the Scandi ones (hello to Robyn deserving a a lot more credit than she gets) but Shura just hit a whole new level for me. Understated, melancholic, just beautifully crafted pop music. There are at least EIGHT incredible songs on her debut album, and I encourage all moopy people to ensure they are familiar. I am very sorry to have missed the Shura journey on moopy.

As a sidenote and for context, I decided to disqualify "Touch" because it came out a year prior to the album and I was actually still hovering on moopy then. Had I included it, it would be #1 on this list. I'm not 100% sure, but with a gun to my head, it might actually be the best song of the 21st Century.

For. Real.

Jesus, this countdown :disco: I had the pleasure of seeing Shura in Brussels last year (in a tiny room at the Orangerie which can't have been more than 150 capacity - it was I think the most intimate gig I've ever seen and she fucking killed it) and White Light, as the final song, just TORE MY WEAVE CLEAN OFF. It truly felt like some kind of emotional catharsis for me, like I briefly left this plane and was transported somewhere else entirely. Agreed on the album, it's the best of the last decade. A masterpiece, all of it. Kidz n' Stuff is particularly beaut and heartbreaking but this song and Touch are indeed 12s.

Glad you’re enjoying!

EVERYONE even remotely homosexual or anywhere close to the peripheral needs to hear the Shura album. It’s other-worldly.

72. Christine & The Queens - 5 Dollars

I love it 'cause: C&TQ are just the peak of the synth-pop movement that I'm living for these past few years. Some tracks I've liked more than others (I prefered iT to any of the singles from the first album - what a song) but this song is the career highlight so far*, and I'll go out on a limb and say this it the BEST video of the decade. Good pop is great, but good pop with singer-songwriter skills and real emotion is pure gold.

*well it was. Not included on the list because it's from this year, but People I've Been Sad is even better IMO. A quite extraordinary song and on the shortlist for my best song of 2020.

71. Maggie Rogers - Light On

I love it 'cause: it's so UPLIFTING! :o that chorus. Somewhere in the realm of Taylor Swift, Haim and others combining Americana with 80s pop sensibility (Miley doing it recently on the new single), we need more quality anthemic pop in the charts. This should have been much bigger, shame it got lost, it could have really boosted her career if anyone had noticed.

70. Chromeo - Bad Decision

I love it 'cause:
it's just classic Chromeo. Their first album since the career-defining White Women in 2014, they had released a few tracks here and there but nothing came close. This put them back at the forefront of the Nu Disco sound and I still think they are the blueprint where many other great acts follow. They deserve more attention.

69. Childish Gambino - Feels Like Summer

I love it 'cause: it feels like summer... and he didn't even need to use a 70s/80s funk sample to do it. Donald Glover was making waves in 2018 with "This Is America" and the more radio-friendly "Summertime Magic" but this track hooked me in - it's such a VIBE. He should be doing more classic soul influenced stuff like this and "Redbone". This track has taken on a bit of a life of its own since its release thanks to the fun animation video, which is chock full of hip-hop cameos and loads of social symbolism that I don't think I'm cool enough to understand, but I like it anyway.

I think I'm going to have to make a Spotify playlist of these as I hate listening to things on YouTube (having to stay on the browser page) and I feel like I'm missing out on some stellar stuff. BEAR WITH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom