A lockdown countdown - funky: The Lost Years (2015-19)

this one will be new to most of you...

55. Chace - Neon Lights

I love it cause: it smartly marries the trendy 80s influences with some modern R&B, and some filtered disco touches reminiscent of Daft Punk, so basically The Weeknd, but without a more silky bass vocal. Chace apparently is a Chinese singer songwriter, not much available so far, and he seems to flit between this sound and the more tired trap-hop, but he did release a retro club track this year, which is completely different but just as brilliant:

54. Zayn - Let Me

I love it cause: Zayn is just brilliant, isn't he? I mean, who knew. As talented as he is pretty. I wasn't sure if the hyped and oft delayed second album would be able to live up to the hype of the first, and while it's more patchy and overlong, it still has plenty of gems. This is my favourite - such a simple, stunning ditty. Well sung, well produced, a timeless sound. Zayn one of the few artists that have more than one track on this list. The debut album couldn't go ignored...

Reactions: dUb
53. The xx - Replica

I love it cause: it has that simple but effective driving melody, almost lullaby style, that gets right under your skin. The new London Grammar song "Californian Soil" has a similar effect. Everyone has their favourite The xx song, and while the singles off the third album were great, this little known album song is my favourite track from I See You, and my favourite of theirs overall, thus far. Beautiful.

I've only been aware of Ekkah's more recent releases but Figure It Out is indeed a smoky, groovy pleasure - that bassline! :disco:

52. Grimes - REALiTi (demo)

I love it cause: It was my soundtrack to my first visit to Hong Kong and it's just that perfect futuristic-but-retro, evocative, melancholic pop song that sounds SUBLIME when walking through HK's crowded neon streets and gangways as the sun goes down. The biggest musical crime of the decade was feeling the need to update this for the album. I can't think of a better example where the demo exceeds the final cut. Any takers on that? You can't get this version on streaming and it PAINS me so. Never been the biggest follower of Grimes even as she has slowly emerged as a critics fave, but this raw electro ballad makes me realise why. Her finest effort to date.

REALiTi (demo) is on Spotify for me (Germany). thankfully.

it's not my favourite Grimes track but it is something close to a work of art - she is perhaps the most consistently high quality female popstar of the last decade, if you can call Grimes a popstar. I'd say you can, since she pivoted quite hard in that direction with Artangels. I also like the updated Realiti, but its pristine glow does miss the shimmery, magnetic beauty of the demo - those synths... the woman is a master of twiddling knobs and could be the biggest producer on the planet in an alternative realiti.

51. Bipolar Sunshine - Daydreamer

I love it cause: it's more retro, melancholic pop. Some sort of pattern going on for 2015, I'm trying to think back to what was going on at the time... :( ANYWAY, this one has a bit of an uplifting vibe too, it's just the way he sings, that sounds quite sad, and so captivating. Plus it has a gorgeous middle-8 crescendo where he repeats the line "what you waiting or" that gives me goosebumps when it's on loud. What on earth happened to him? There was a lot of great British pop-soul male artists emerging at the time, and most of them have disappeared now - Kwabs, Kwaye, Gallant, MNEK, although the latter has had a comeback this year and still writes a lot. Would love some more of this.

I can't believe this track is only number 51. It was genuinely one of my favourite songs of 2015. But I'm looking up the list and realising how much great music there is still to come :o

TOP FIFTY COMING SOON!

this one will be new to most of you...

55. Chace - Neon Lights

I love it cause: it smartly marries the trendy 80s influences with some modern R&B, and some filtered disco touches reminiscent of Daft Punk, so basically The Weeknd, but without a more silky bass vocal. Chace apparently is a Chinese singer songwriter, not much available so far, and he seems to flit between this sound and the more tired trap-hop, but he did release a retro club track this year, which is completely different but just as brilliant:

banger! :disco: god I've been starved for deep house in 2020 so Us is hitting the spot. Neon Lights is like two songs, both amazing.

"Us" is one of my favourite songs right now. It's just the sort of quality deep house we need. The charty stuff is good too, but I prefer this sound.

Funky being a Zayn fan is a development i wasn’t expecting. Never really gave his album(s?) a chance but that song is quite so nice so maybe I will.

I love “replica” and that entire album. I probably slightly prefer “on hold” and “say something loving” though.

On Hold is also my xx moment of choice, although I'm not fully au fait with their back cat.

I find Zayn a bit overrated among discerning gays I think? I mean the debut album is quite decent but not full of towering highs, and the second is a mess. his voice is generally much much better than the material he's had so far, with a couple of hot exceptions.

put him on a synthy disco/80s glam-pop course a la where Miley is headed and I'm sure I'd be COMPLETELY on board.

Funky being a Zayn fan is a development i wasn’t expecting. Never really gave his album(s?) a chance but that song is quite so nice so maybe I will.

I love “replica” and that entire album. I probably slightly prefer “on hold” and “say something loving” though.

I wasn't expecting to like Zayn's music either. He can be a bit over indulgent sometimes, wanting to be cool and on trend, but when he just churns out a great pop tune, he really delivers.

Those are the 2 other xx faves of mine yes.

On Hold is also my xx moment of choice, although I'm not fully au fait with their back cat.

I find Zayn a bit overrated among discerning gays I think? I mean the debut album is quite decent but not full of towering highs, and the second is a mess. his voice is generally much much better than the material he's had so far, with a couple of hot exceptions.

put him on a synthy disco/80s glam-pop course a la where Miley is headed and I'm sure I'd be COMPLETELY on board.

oh YES PLEASE. I'm trying to think of a male equivalent... the late 80s was a bit cheesy on the male side... Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams and Whitesnake :square: maybe a bit of Hall & Oates...? I'd take some Father Figure-era George Michael though...

oh YES PLEASE. I'm trying to think of a male equivalent... the late 80s was a bit cheesy on the male side... Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams and Whitesnake :square: maybe a bit of Hall & Oates...? I'd take some Father Figure-era George Michael though...

Robert Palmer, Peter Cetera, Dead Or Alive, Rick Astley, Eric Carmen?

A LINEUP :disco:

No thanks to Rick Astley or Robert Palmer :D

I’d take a bit of Michael McDonald or Steve Winwood power soul, but I don’t think Zayn has the pipes

he’d be better going down the Luther Vandross or James Ingram route

EIGHTIES FORUM NOW

here we go, TOP FIFTY

50. NENEH CHERRY - Kong

I love it cause: I love anything that clearly lifts from Massive Attack and the Bristol trip-hop scene. Neneh has been doling out albums off and on since her heydey and has become increasingly experimental in her sound, and while this track doesn't scream pop it's still highly accessible to someone like me who loves moody dark chill music. It suits her vocal massively and harks back to much of her earlier music. It was a fabulous mini comeback and while big on the alternative charts didn't really do much for her, but nice to see her still making good music.

49. HOT CHIP - Hungry Child

I love it cause: it's a gorgeous slice of 90s inspired indie dance. I always found Hot Chip a little too alternative for my tastes but they've fully embraced house in recent years and I'm here for it. The most recent album was a treasure and their new single with Jarvis Cocker is also a bop. This recalls early 90s piano house but with an indie sensibility that recalls 80s Depeche Mode, New Order etc. A very relevant track for a very mature band.

48. CHLOE LILAC - Stolen Liquor

I love it cause: it's one of those understated alt-pop moods that gets totally under your skin with repeated listens. This took a while to embed but something made me keep it on my playlist throughout 2018 and quickly became a years favourites. Definitely influenced by trap R&B but without all the shit over-production and mumble rap that normally goes with it - used purely to give the song the right vibe. The production is so slick and fresh. No idea if she's still "in development" or destined to never to return but I'd love to hear more.

47. THANDI PHOENIX ft SIGMA - Say It
sounds in

I love it cause: it's a goosebumps-raising, head-throwing, orgasmic DANCE CLASSIC. Maybe released a year too early because this music is all the rage now, but this has everything: big diva vocals, 90s production (anyone spot the N-Joi style electric harp sounds in the verse?), disco strings, big piano breakdown, jungle beats... I could go on. Thandi has featured on quite a few dance tracks recently but this his her own, in conjunction with Sigma, and it's EASILY her best to date. She has an old school tone, reminding me a bit of Lisa Stansfield and the other divas of the 90s dance and groove era.

46. BAT FOR LASHES - If I Knew

I love it cause: I'm a sucker for a candlelight piano moment, but it has to be suitably haunting, reflective and deep. This has it in SPADES. I love it how it starts as an acoustic ballad but in the chorus this synth base kicks in which gives the song a real timeless, cinematic feel. And she sings the FUCK out of it. Gentle, stirring and yet powerful. I'm not overly familiar with all of her discography but the highs are bloody high. A big fan of some songs from the recent album with 80s influences, particular the track "The Hunger".

Gonna try and WHIZZ through a few of these tonight, determined to finish this year, the novelty of me being GONE for 5 years has already worn off...

45. LONDON GRAMMAR - Rooting For You

I Love it cause: it's so SWEEPING AND MAJESTIC! Mind you every LG song could be described as such, but there's something very special about a song running acapella for half the song and then build into a crescendo of strings and guitar, but that's the sort of bold move you make when your lead singer has a once-in-a-generation voice of an angel. Playing to your strengths doesn't even cover it; they're pretty much showing off. It was the perfect reintroduction for the promo of the second album. Co-incidentally, I'm very excited for album 3 early next year.

44. MIGUEL - Pineapple Skies

I love it 'cause: it's 'classic' Miguel, in the sense that his best work always sounds like a different versions of Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing", which I live for. Miguel switched it up for the third album War & Leisure and I did like the contemporary R&B singles "Told You So" and "Sky Walker" but this album track is the big highlight, sticking to his trademark retro 80s soul.

43. YAEJI - Raingurl

I love it 'cause: it's the sort of deep house I live for, but with a modern twist. Everyone is raving about Korea's Peggy Gou at the moment, but Japanese-American Yaeji's been doing this for a while now. This is easily her best track to date - twisted, dark, groovy and hipster AS FUCK, almost to the point of parody (maybe it is parody), but when the music is this good... as Yaeji says, "when the sweaty walls are banging I don't fuck with family planning"... well yes exactly, Yaeji. Exactly.

Reactions: RJN
I need to go back and listen to so many songs from this that I don't know but Raingurl is one of the best songs of the last few years and so much fun to dance to. Her lyrics are WEIRD but so fun

42. LADY GAGA - Before I Cry

I love it 'cause: I'm an absolute sucker for a power soul anthem. Talk about a guilty pleasure. Typical funky contrary-ness because this isn't the song everyone turns to when they think of A Star Is Born and moreover it DOESN'T EVEN FEATURE IN THE FUCKING FILM, but My God, does she sing the FUCK out of this song. What I've learnt to appreciate about Gaga the most in recent years, whether she's giving us house, pop or Americana, she is dedicated to the classic vocal style of delivery. You can hear Whitney singing this... maybe Elkie Brooks, or Pat Benatar, or Celine, or the Scherzinger... but you can't imagine anyone delivering it the way she does. It took me a while, and struggled through the EDM years, but I have finally come round to the fact that Gaga is a once in a lifetime talent. It wasn't necessarily JUST this song that did it - but it certainly helped.

I need to go back and listen to so many songs from this that I don't know but Raingurl is one of the best songs of the last few years and so much fun to dance to. Her lyrics are WEIRD but so fun

I've never had a chance to experience it in a club but I can imagine it's certainly a moment.

Reactions: RJN
41. DUA LIPA - Be The One

I love it 'cause: it's just the sort of fun, feel good anthemic pop we got used to in the 80s and 90s and (in my opinion) have been largely STARVED of the last 20 years (up until about last year when things got better again). I've never been the biggest Dua fan, she's definitely aimed at a younger crowd, but I like how she's driving the retro pop movement. The ones doing it the best are the ones who unapologetic in their appreciation and reliance of the classic pop sounds. Yet, many of her biggest singles rely on the tropes of contempory pop which is fine but I have little time for. This however, just simply BOPS. Simple, gorgeous, evocative. I was swooning over this long before she became everyone's darling and lest we forget it's now FIVE years old... she was doing the retro pop thing before the world caught on.

omg, another Before I Cry fan :D I thought I was alone. a really gorgeous pop song.

Rooting For You is UTTERLY INCREDIBLE. album two was such a step up and that is a mighty opener.

40. ZAYN - Pillowtalk

I love it 'cause: it just came out with such a BANG. It was so fresh and original, and who would have thought that a member of 1D would be able to successfully drive forward contemporary music (as it turns out two of them have done it since). True he hasn't been able to maintain his position, but he's still churning out great modern R&B, albeit through a method of throw-everything-at-the-wall-so-some-of-it-sticks strategy. A bit of quality control would be good for album 3. But I'm very glad he's put his talents to good use since he did the Geru and went at it alone.

39. DORNIK - Drive

I love it 'cause: it exemplifies the second wave of neo-soul and came right at that time when Dev Hynes/Blood Orange and Kaytranada were really blowing up and bringing excitement to the world of REAL R&B again. Dornik never really took off, but his first self-titled album is a killer, full of Prince-inspired new-wave/funk, with this the lead single. It does have a video but it's more a short film and takes away from the song, so bringing you the real thing so you can listen to those glorious guitar riffs and synths in HD. @Jark @ameraal

Last edited:
I probably prefer "Sky Walker" to "Pineapple Skies" but both good. I don't think I ever checked out the album - is it worth investigating @funky ? I loved Kaleidoscope Dreams and enjoyed plenty from Wildheart.

I probably prefer "Sky Walker" to "Pineapple Skies" but both good. I don't think I ever checked out the album - is it worth investigating @funky ? I loved Kaleidoscope Dreams and enjoyed plenty from Wildheart.

Yeah there are great tracks on there. Not as good as KD but that's one of my favourite albums of the decade. Check out "Criminal" and "Banana Clip" as a starting point.

38. HAIM - Now I'm In It

I love it cause: it's probably the most "Haim" song from the 3rd album, that fine line between classic pop with an Americana vibe. Wistful and summery, with a typically dry video. I actually adore these girls and they are the top of my list for people I'm yet to see live. I had tickets for Dublin in June and had to get a refund because my pal couldn't commit to the new dates :( gutted. Their new album is fabulous, a bit more acoustic/indie leaning that previous efforts but still with those 80s and 90s references.

37. YEBBA - My Mind

I love it cause: it's one of the purest, most emotional live vocals I have EVER seen. Discovered through YouTube's recommendations, this was part of a small Sofar NYC unplugged series but has amassed 14m views on the back of Yebba going viral across YouTube through a handful of unplugged performances showing off her incredible range. This is my favourite because not only does she sing the house down but the storytelling here is off the scale. Sadly no studio version yet available which would assume she's stuck in development hell or is quite happy being an underground sensation. She's released a smatter of tracks since ranging from folky to jazz-pop but you would assume someone has tried to pick this talent up. She is of course most famous for her collab with Mark Ronson last year, and in particular the acoustic version from Glastonbury. As ever, it's her live vocals that makes the difference. Potentially one to watch, or not, if she remains confined to YouTube. What do our vocal connoisseurs make of this? @dUb @Loufoque @Whatevar

the Glasto perf also:

Last edited:
36. NERINA PALLOT - Man Didn't Walk On The Moon

I love it cause: it's the sort of 'wistful and summery' song I referenced in the Haim track above... I love Nerina but honestly didn't even know she had released an album when this came out in 2018, and only discovered it late last year. This is the easy album highlight for me - gorgeous guitar riffs and piano giving that classic Fleetwood Mac vibe and Karen Carpenter / Linda Ronstadt type vocals. Soft rock is not for everyone, but this is so lovely.

35. JEROME THOMAS - Bruises

I love it cause: it's the sort of exciting, forward thinking neo-soul we've been starved of this decade. Sounding very much like D'Angelo circa 1996, Jerome shows off his considerable vocal skills in the song and artistic style in the video, that makes you wonder again why R&B continues to be ignored when underground it's one of the most interesting and accomplished sounds around today. The Weeknd and Frank Ocean are great, but there's so so much more out there when you go looking. @ameraal @Mats have you heard this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom