ABBA - The Visitors (+the 1982 tracks) Sync Listen

Pingu

Noot noot
Hope you can join later for a rather excellent ABBA album.

It's The Visitors!
The Visitors cover.jpg

I think it’s obvious from listening to The Visitors that it’s an album of conflict and tension. Conflict between B&B’s desire to write longer form musical theatre pieces while still staying true to the pop music format; conflict between the new-fangled digital recording techniques of the 80s and ABBA’s very analogue 70s music; conflict between the newly-divorced individuals and their desire to continue working together professionally. All of that combined to make an album with a constant feeling of tension running through it, and how much better is it for that!

The group’s 8th album reached #1 in the UK, Sweden and a few other territories, and produced hit single One Of Us, but as has often been the case, the most critically acclaimed album of ABBA’s back catalogue is also the one that marked the end of the band (and it feels so amazing to be able to write this next bit) for a while.

In order to truly track the journey of the group to its end, tonight we are also going to listen to the smattering of tracks they recorded in 1982 for the follow-up album that never materialised, that feature on the deluxe edition of The Visitors and very much serve as a companion piece to it.

Buckle up and hit play at 7!

Last edited:
@Moderator can I request a bit of thread admin on these please?

Could you pin this one, and then move the Arrival, Ring Ring and [self-titled album] sync threads into the ABBA forum so they're all together?

Thank you!

First post updated in the hope that one or two more might be keen on this one. :sweden:

We did this one last year

Aside from the obvious, it's glorious.

I'm sorry I cheated and listened to a bit of this earlier.

Benny and Bjorn invited Mario to the studio to do backing coin noises for this one.

I’m listening. I’ve never heard this album but I’ve heard it’s good

This is somehow the most un-ABBA song but still unmistakably them.

As I've said before, as much as I was very into music at the time this was released, Abba were my mum's group. I much preferred Bucks Fizz.

I frequently wonder what it would have been like to be a massive fan back in the day, buy this album and then hear opening of The Visitors.

@Tisch @Iguana to be honest there aren't a huge number of visual ones on this album so Spotify is probably just as good tonight. It's the Deluxe edition (up to The Day Before You Came)

They really are painting on the grins at this point aren't they.

This one reminds me of Lavendar Town from Pokémon Generation 1.

(Yes, all my references are decades old video games)

By the way I have no idea whether this is actually the official title or not.
I think it's both, isn't it? I think where it was released as a single it had the bit in brackets added, even though on the album it never.

But actually

10 the visitors
10 head over heels

I loved Head Over Heels when I was a kid but now it does seem a tad forced.

3. When All Is Said And Done
The single that got away. In the UK at least. They even had a video. And it was a perfect counterpoint to One Of Us, whichever order they released them in.

The single that got away. In the UK at least. They even had a video. And it was a perfect counterpoint to One Of Us, whichever order they released them in.
I was literally about to say I cannot fathom why this wasn't a single.

Apparently it was a US hit? The only one from this album. I don’t think I’ve heard it before though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom