ABBA - Voulez-Vous Sync Listen

Pingu

Noot noot
Hi everyone - time for the third in our series of ABBA syncs, and...

It's Voulez-Vous!

1643140285778.png

My personal favourite ABBA album, their 6th outing is often referred to as their “disco” album, or at least the curious blend of Europop and disco that ABBA made their own.

This came at a time when their songwriting had become more mature and sophisticated, but their instant radio pop sensibilities hadn’t yet taken a backseat, and so this must be considered the moment where ABBA reached “peak pop” and truly mastered the genre.

We’ll be listening to the original 10-track album, plus the two standalone singles that bookended the album campaign, Summer Night City and Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) and the Chiquitita B-Side, Lovelight.

The playlist is below, or if you’re listening along on Spotify, it’s the Bonus Track Edition - and don't forget to keep track of your scores to vote in the mammoth ABBA Rate.

Hit play at 8!

Last edited:
First post updated! Five minute warning. *DISCO KLAXON*

And here we go again, you know the start, you know the end...

1. As Good As New

Been thinking about it since the TGPL ep and I think VV is also my favourite Abba album. The title track has always been a firm favourite. I mean, how can you NOT?

07 As Good As New

it's just an OKAY OPENER.
You know I'm loathe to disagree with you about anything, but it's SUCH a statement of intent opening! I think it's possibly their best album-starter ever (except maybe The Visitors).

One of the boys from ABBA looks so much like my friend JEFF.

'Voulez-Vous' slaps so hard.

I guess this is their closest song to pure "disco" but even then we have the dramatic synths and the 2,547-part harmonies that make it SO them.

I'm really into Voulez-Vous these days. not that it wasn't always a banger but I really love how it glides along. the STRUT of the instrumental section is :disco: definitely top 2 disco ABBA.

07 As Good As New
10 Voulez-Vous

It has its place in their back catalogue and everything, but who on earth missed the point of this album SO hard that they put this as track 3?

is it a SITAR on I Have A Dream? an under-utilised pop instrument. god I love these breezy ABBA midtempo moments that veer just the right side of saccharine.

07 As Good As New
10 Voulez-Vous
10 I Have a Dream

is it a SITAR on I Have A Dream? an under-utilised pop instrument. god I love these breezy ABBA midtempo moments that veer just the right side of saccharine.

07 As Good As New
10 Voulez-Vous
09 I Have a Dream
I think it's a mandolin.

YES. bring in the choir. preach it! TAKE me to CHURCH!

the long note on "I believe" :disco: OK upgrading to a 10. sorry Pingu.

I do like 'I Have a Dream'. Not a masterclass of SEQUENCING though putting it here, I must admit.

I can't believe that this was the "first" A-side in the UK in the double-A-side with Voulez-Vous.

Actually I can, it seems like a classic UK record label decision.

Angeleyes has 40m streams so definitely among their biggest non-Gold singles. funny how the tracklist of that basically dictated which of their hits went down as classics.

she's very UPBEAT and perfectly feel-good, but slightly lacking a memorable hook.

07 As Good As New
10 Voulez-Vous
10 I Have a Dream
08 Angeleyes

this is such an ABBA song title. love how the instrumental is giving a bit of ROCK and then the verse starts and it settles into a smooth midtempo. and then the chorus comes along and it's all THEATRICAL DRAMA. it's all a little UNHINGED! ...but in a classy, comforting Swedish way.

Quite a SULTRY intro from Her Serene Highness.

DISASTER AND DISGRACE!

:shock:

07 As Good As New
10 Voulez-Vous
10 I Have a Dream
08 Angeleyes
08 The King Has Lost His Crown

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom