And Just Like That... (Sex & The City revival)

I finally watched the first two episodes.
  • Are we really supposed to believe that Miranda, who spent 30 years working in New York corporate law, would not show up in a professional manner and probably be very guarded about what she says?
  • It's good to see Carrie has experienced zero growth. She is still obsessed with shoes, and centred entirely on herself. The way she expects her friends to do sleep-overs at her place, like she is a child, is quite something.
  • The obscene wealth and privilege leaves a bad taste in my mouth. At least Succession makes a point that it finds its characters awful.
  • I see they are still suggesting that Anthony and Stanford are the only two gays alive in NYC.
  • @Holly's comment that each character now has a POC accessory couldn't be more true. Having a diverse cast makes sense, but why not do it in a more organic way than here's Charlotte's new friend - she's black!!!!, here's Carrie's boss - they are Mexican and non-binary!!!, here's Miranda's college professor - she's black too!!!!
  • The only thing less subtle was turning Miranda into an alcoholic in about two and a half scenes.
  • The show was seriously lacking Kim Cattrall (or Christina Aguilera) for comic relief. I didn't laugh but I groaned a lot.

Apparently that was Stanfords final episode . He was supposed to have a big story arc basically him being the fourth girl.
Anyway third episode was ok ish . I was expecting more revelations from Bigs will rather than Total Bullshit Name Natasha.
I also find Che unbearable considering I loved her in Greys Anatomy .

I have watched the first two episodes. I agree about the tokenism, I did enjoy them though. Also agreed about what they have done to Miranda, so cringe! Really missed Samantha but generally enjoyed having it back. Carrie was always annoying, not much has changed :D

Episode 4 was very short. I presume that was because of the real death they didn’t want? (Gone to Japan lol handled so well)

I haven't watched this yet but question: do they still portray gay men in an offensively two-dimensional way, in that we only live to i) listen to women's problems while ii) make sassy comments not to mention iii) retconning years of disdain into a gay wedding just to create a pretext for a Liza Minelli cameo?
worse, stanford is basically a caricature now but on the other hand so is charlotte

They always had that combination of privilege and the ignorance which so often begets it, but they also seem to have become actively mean, even a little aggressive, in this series. It’s quite jarring.

I’ve given this the benefit of the doubt but this really is a steaming DOG EGG of a show isn’t it?

They always had that combination of privilege and the ignorance which so often begets it, but they also seem to have become actively mean, even a little aggressive, in this series. It’s quite jarring.
If this is about Carrie and the photo frame, it's really very similar behaviour to how she acted with Aiden about the laptop. She's ALWAYS been awful!

At least the Carrie character is consistent unlike Miranda who is utterly unrecognisable!

Carrie being too depressed to put on the sheets so just sleeping in her Dolce & Gabbana coat.

42F448E0-C532-4405-9538-01EE30A3431F.jpeg

1171925.jpg

• The obscene wealth and privilege leaves a bad taste in my mouth. At least Succession makes a point that it finds its characters awful.

sorry but what is this? are we only allowed to watch shows about rich people if they're all acknowledged by the show as being cunts?

do you all want Carrie hanging around a soup kitchen for eight episodes?

nobody complained about everyone on Big Little Lies being rich. it's a window into a world that has probably little resonance for 90% of the audience - and maybe that's why people like it. economic hyperrealism (or token poor characters!) is not necessary in escapist tv of this genre.

all your critiques read like you went into the show determined to hate it, so why bother?

I'm surprised at how little I'm missing Samantha three episodes in.

Oh yes that does feel a bit like it's more of a statement than actual story progressing.
I can't remember exactly cause it's been a lifetime since but maybe they've had criticism in the original series for the stereotypal representation of people like Magda, or Natasha maybe and they wanted to sort this out?

do you all want Carrie hanging around a soup kitchen for eight episodes?

:D

You all are really a bunch of miserable homos but I’m here for the reviews!

I’m watching this out of some sort of obligation to my youth, but I’m enjoying it in an easy breezy kinda way.

Screaming at the thought of people watching it and expecting it to be realistic though!

Is this on Sky then? I kind of gave up at the awful second film. It should have finished on the first movie. Since then I revisited some of the original series and unfortunately didn't enjoy it in the same way as I previously did. Felt the same way about Ally McBeal which was one of my all time favs at one point :(

Just wondering if this is even worth the bother. Even for an entertaining bitch about it.

if you don't even love the og series anymore, I certainly wouldn't bother :D

I enjoy watching it, it serves the same purpose as a lot of reality tv ie you get to shout at the screen and feel morally superior

I don't care if Carrie's got 1,000 pairs of really ugly, expensive shoes or buys overpriced sushi that comes in a plastic bag with an ironic smiley on it but at least Big Little Lies had a deliberate tongue-in-cheek approach to portraying the wealthy so I don't really feel that comparison holds up. by and large I do agree with Jark though, enjoy the silliness and LEAVE THE RICH ALONE! (on HBO. eat their babies irl).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom