Australia 2023: Voyager - Promise

It must be, but it just struck me as so ridiculous to have the semi results quite literally turned upside down. Has that happened before to that level?

Also the Australian entry was more leaning into 80s synth rock, it definitely wasn't novelty or particularly "out there". You'd think it would tap into a market for a whole different set of people, possibly an older crowd (who in fairness might not vote so much, which could be a factor).

If not for the juries they would have gone from winning a semi to near the bottom which is almost ludicrous

I would assume those that vote in the semis are a higher percentage of hardcore Eurovision fans whereas the final gets more of a general public view?

I don’t necessarily think what the fans vote for matches the public, particularly with a country like Australia who the fans seem to accept but takes a much harder sell to get the public to vote for a country so far removed from actual Europe.

They were in a remarkably busy section in the final, running-order wise. Plus there's become a bit of a running tradition recently of semi closers doing exceptionally well and then faceplanking in the final once they have that advantage taken away and have to perform in a much bigger pool where there's more to choose from - has hit Destiny, We Are Domi, Imri Ziv and Hera Björk (among others) over the years.

Can someone please explain how this WON the semi...and then not only entirely collapsed in the final, but was beaten on the televote by every song they beat in the semi?! Except Austria, who came second in that semi - so the top 2 were bottom 2!

Has this ever happened to that level before? Did the audience all decide on a MASS PISS BREAK at the point this came on?

It's not like their slot was particularly awful...

Make it make sense. I can only assume almost their entire vote jumped over to Finland...
It happened to Alexander Rybak, who won his semi in 2018 and then came 15th overall. I think, like with this entry, it was because the overall heat was so poor that it stood out.

It happened to Alexander Rybak, who won his semi in 2018 and then came 15th overall. I think, like with this entry, it was because the overall heat was so poor that it stood out.

Which would make sense, except the fact they were beaten in the public vote by every supposedly awful song they beat in the semi! Except Austria, who came 2nd, and were bottom of the vote.

Rybak only came 3rd in his semi with the public, and wasn't beaten (in public vote alone) by most of the qualifiers who weren't already above him (apart from 1 or 2 max), so it was consistent - e.g Sweden and Australia both tanked with voters that year.

So this feels a bit more unique to me. I think @Penelope is right that the section it was in was extremely unlucky - especially factoring in Belgium not doing so great with the public and Armenia underperforming.
And definitely going on last was a huge advantage instantly taken away, but Austria had the same fate basically and they weren't on last in that semi

The whole thing really is a FICKLE beast

On the topic of Belgium, I howled the other day noticing Gustaph managed to finish above Loreen on the UK televote :D (:disco:)

Voyager singer Danny Estrin, whose band represented Australia in Eurovision this year, has been diagnosed with cancer.

The 41-year-old musician co-founded the prog rock band in 1999, and has performed with them since. In 2023, Voyager placed ninth in the final of the Eurovision Song Contest with their final “Promise”.

On Thursday (21 September) morning, a statement was shared on the band’s social media where Estrin – who has performed with the band since 1999 – wrote that the band would be postponing their forthcoming European tour while he underwent “immediate treatment”.

“Hi everyone, Danny here,” Estrin wrote. “Last week I was dealt some life-altering news: I’ve been diagnosed with cancer that requires immediate treatment… I am on strict doctors’ orders to not take this lightly, put my health first and get this sorted so we can be on stage again as soon as possible.”

Estrin said that cancelling the tour had been “an extremely hard decision to make, but one that everyone will hopefully understand”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom