Australia 2024: Electric Fields - One Milkali (One Blood)

Kala

Call the police
Pronouns
He/Him
Looks like it might have been accidentally leaked...

Last week, SBS revealed that Australia’s entry to Eurovision will be announced on March 6. While the network has been coy on revealing any information on their entrant so far, a leading radio show may have inadvertently leaked Australia’s entry.

The Kyle and Jackie O Show, which is Sydney’s number one breakfast radio show, run a daily pop quiz for their audience, for the chance to win $10,000. On Thursday’s edition of the quiz, host Jackie O asked the following question to a contestant:

“Who is representing Australia at Eurovision this year for the second time?”

Eurovision fans will remember Dami Im placed second for Australia at Eurovision in 2016. While the contestant guessed Dami Im, both Jackie O and Kyle confirmed that was the correct answer. Being a pop quiz, they didn’t elaborate on the point, but this has raised questions as to their sources. You can hear the radio show snippet here.

As Australia’s biggest breakfast radio show, it could be very likely that the news is true. The radio show pre-books their interview talent well in advance, and it’s possible that Dami Im or SBS’s team contacted the show to organise an interview for March for the official announcement of Australia’s artist. The show’s production team may have not realised Dami Im’s name was embargoed, and accidentally included Dami as part of their pop quiz. The show has also remained quiet about the fact since – perhaps to not breach an embargo further.

While the above is purely speculation, Kyle and Jackie O have previously broken big Eurovision news this year, confirming growing speculation that Dannii Minogue was not this year’s entrant.

Would Dami Im want to come back?​

Dami Im returning for Australia is a definite possibility. After representing Australia at Eurovision in 2016 in Stockholm, Dami has said she would be interested in returning to the contest, and her performance calendar this year is looking available after a concert in South Korea this year on March 17.

In 2020, she officially announced her intention to submit an entry to Australia’s national selection Australia Decides for 2021. Montaigne ended up being internally selected for 2021 due to Eurovision’s cancellation in 2020. Dami ended up releasing her potential entry, “Paper Dragon”, in 2021.

In 2022, not long after giving birth to her first son, she again confirmed that she would consider entering in 2023, telling Yahoo Australia:

“I always said that I would come back. I was going to come back in 2021, and life happened (COVID, Eurovision 2021 cancellation) and it kept falling over. So I would love the chance to do it again one last time, and I’m hoping that that can be next year (2023). I really do want to have a shot at it.”

Dami coming back would send this already strong year into GOD-TIER territory.

Looks like it might be a false alarm......

Another rumour is this, written by DNA (who have written the majority of Australia’s entries) and 3 minutes long:

I’m not sure if they’d schedule a big announcement for something that was already released, though?

I feel like Ricki Lee has been rumoured literally every year since 2015. Just pull the trigger already so we can move on!

Remember that time these tweeted this and gave a handful of gays a semi.

Seriously though what a missed opportunity! Something like In My Blood (a DNA produced song no less) would have been the absolute tits.

I did wonder if this year was potentially their year since it’s an internal selection and they have a new album dropping in March. Their profile could definitely do with a bit of a boost (none of their recent output has even troubled even the Aria charts) alas they have a US tour booked for April so that rules them out 😏

Another rumour is this, written by DNA (who have written the majority of Australia’s entries) and 3 minutes long:

I’m not sure if they’d schedule a big announcement for something that was already released, though?

It's no Raining Diamonds, is it.

(Maybe I’m just hearing what I want to hear, but sounds like it could be Ricki-Lee’s Ghost, above?)

this would be Australia's best entry in years

Ricki Lee is a fab singer and Ghost is a great song. Not sure it would stand out but I think her in any capacity would be competent at worst.

It's Nikki Webster apparently.

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: VoR
Would be here for it if it’s as good as their NF song, the few other things I’ve heard by them were much more disappointing. Would love an Aboriginal language (specifically Pitjantjatjara and Yankunytjatjara) in ESC too :disco:

Reveal tonight at 6pm:

Electric Fields do seem the most likely at the moment.

It seems to be this (the little preview is in it)

I like the shout out to the reciprocal of the golden ratio.

Wasn't excited by the prospect of Electric Fields, but I'm preferring that to 2000 and Whatever.

Online consensus seems to be....MEH

I'm not sure I agree - I think it's quite lovely in parts but much like the UK I think the risk of it getting lost and looked over is very high - especially in that front loaded semi

Reactions: GNL
I like it, and I'm surprised it's taken this long for SBS to give us some Aboriginal representation, but it feels a bit disappointing that Australia have just gone for two NF runners up after their return to internal selections, given that when they first entered it was bigger names - I'm not sure either Voyager or Electric Fields have any name recognition at all outside of the ESC community? Still, it beats Sheldon Riley!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom