Books you've read in 2023

I'm finishing The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah on audiobook and The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad on good old paperback right now.

Then I've got to read this monstrosity by Jan 31st for bookclub.

71BldN0S1SL.jpg

This was very exciting and I would recommend to anyone actually:
314C6230-F04E-467A-9682-1D59EB19A752.jpeg

Nearly finished and it’s been a great ride:
6B318B06-A492-4200-9AF9-6D64BE56DFC3.jpeg

I'm finishing The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah on audiobook and The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad on good old paperback right now.

Then I've got to read this monstrosity by Jan 31st for bookclub.

View attachment 15279

Oh I actually heard this is a pretty good book (haven’t read it myself).

I don't know how many books I read last year - maybe 15. my goal for this year is a minimum of 25. the first 5 of which will probably be:

Bret Easton Ellis - The Shards
Deepti Kapoor - Age of Vice
Elena Ferrante - The Lying Life of Adults
Katy Hays - The Cloisters
M.L. Rio - If We Were Villains

the new Ellis has had some great reviews. has anyone read The Lying Life of Adults? I've never got around to a Ferrante yet but this one has a new Netflix adaptation to go with it so now's the time.

I found a bag of books in the loft I saved from when I threw all my books out and moved to Kindle and just read this memoir of an ex- No.1 magazine journo in a few days- it's quite good fun if you're an 80s kid, lots of Bananarama stuff (the author was best mates with Jacqui and formed a pop group with her), which was obviously right up my street.

512-gaLzH2L.jpg

I am excited for the new Bret Easton Ellis book, despite him being a complete thundercunt these days. This one sounds right up my street too.

I finished Cormac McCarthy’s The Passenger, which was great. Might take a break before I go into Stella Maris though as I heard it’s even tougher.

Two books on the go at the moment.

‘How to heal your inner child’ no side eyes please…

And an ARC of ‘Becoming Ted’ by Matt Cain.

ended 2022 and began 2023 with a fantasy novel which is always a great way for me to cleanse the palate in between REAL LITERATURE :eyes: (@Phoenix, it was Name of the Wind which I really liked. trite and lazy description of the female characters which were all of course 'strikingly beautiful' and boobacious but overall the world building is very interesting and he's a much better writer than Sanderson)

think it might be time to give Steinbeck's East of Eden a go, I am fairly sure I'll love it

ended 2022 and began 2023 with a fantasy novel which is always a great way for me to cleanse the palate in between REAL LITERATURE :eyes: (@Phoenix, it was Name of the Wind which I really liked. trite and lazy description of the female characters which were all of course 'strikingly beautiful' and boobacious but overall the world building is very interesting and he's a much better writer than Sanderson)

think it might be time to give Steinbeck's East of Eden a go, I am fairly sure I'll love it

I’m not a fan of Name of the Wind but also it’s one of those series that are never going to be completed. He’s been writing the 3rd book for years (even slower than GRRM).

I ended the year with a Sanderson book and began with another since we’re getting 4 books this year from his Kickstarter.

I’m not a fan of Name of the Wind but also it’s one of those series that are never going to be completed. He’s been writing the 3rd book for years (even slower than GRRM).

I ended the year with a Sanderson book and began with another since we’re getting 4 books this year from his Kickstarter.

either you can't keep up with these contemporary fantasy writers or they never finish the job. gonna stick with dead ones from now on

Oh I am pleased

I was tempted to follow it up with ALL DOWN DARKNESS WIDE* but the library doesn't have it which is frankly HOMOPHOBIC what with STORYHOUSE QUEER coming up and I've already got a pile of PURCHASED TOMES I don't want to add to SO I've started on THIS

9780241517383.jpg

* "This is your MOTHER Neil: GET ON DOWN!"
"I don't think I can get any more down, I'm really depressed as it is."

Can't wait for the book club discussion about interior design and coffee beans yasssss

In direct contrast to the short books I asked about in this very thread, I started Lonesome Dove. It’s a western novel, but it has amazing reviews and is my dads favorite book, so I thought I’d try it

I started a 320 page book last night at 7.30 and finished it half an hour ago.

That must be a new Ag record.

94B662A8-6C91-4B27-A0CE-1C059954762B.jpeg

I read Jane Eyre and The Tenenant of Wildfell Hall this month (Wuthering Heights I read back in 2020). They’re nice stories. Jane Eyre is a beautifully written Gothic novel… but my God they were both too long and need a lot of editing. They could’ve easily been 300 pages shorter each. (Wuthering Heights was a lot shorter and part of why so much better)

Now I feel done with the old classics. I need something quick and exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom