Eurovision 2024: Confirmed Entries

Another SUPER SATURDAY is upon us, are any of these actually WORTH WATCHING tonight?

Denmark (National final)
Estonia (National final)
Lithuania (National final)
Moldova (National final)

Lithuania seems like a foregone conclusion, and Denmark will be a dull as dishwater disaster.

What’s the vibe in Estonia? Moldova will obviously be a sumptuous and EXPENSIVE treat.

Another SUPER SATURDAY is upon us, are any of these actually WORTH WATCHING tonight?
What’s the vibe in Estonia? Moldova will obviously be a sumptuous and EXPENSIVE treat.
Worth noting cause of time zones, Estonia starts at 5:30 pm GMT (which is 7:30 pm EEST). I don't think there's any National Finals on at the same time yet. It's not the most inspired final-up this year though. :D

Moldova is always an interesting experience, they get the songs on quite quickly (besides the odd interviews here and there) but then have a long slew of voting/interval acts, although nowhere near as long as Sanremo. :D If you can get a good stream, it is usually a nice enough experience.

Think I might just go to the pub :hostage:

Estonia: 5miinust and Puuluup - (Nendest) narkootikumidest ei tea me (küll) midagi

I really don't think the Estonian song is going to translate for Eurovision viewers at all.

Moldova needs a revamp (and I presume it'll get one) but there's potential there and at worst it's enjoyable filler.

Denmark their best effort in a while, 50/50 on qualification chances.

Lithuania easily the best chosen tonight, should go over very well.

A lot of strong entries so far, although I do feel with the removal of juries in the semis we are starting to lean a little bit into gimmicky territory, and a lot of high energy songs - not a bad thing in itself but some of them inevitably will crash and burn.

Looking forward to the OVERWHELMED, SHELL-SHOCKED, and TERRIFIED audience after the end of each semi of ~12/16 entries of obnoxious, hyperactive, 3 minute blitzes of disconcerting noise actively attacking all of their sensory perceptions :disco:

Honestly, it's almost enough to make me want to go back to that brief period last April where I started listening to Duje and EAEA on a loop on repeat for about an hour on end

I feel the upturn in gimmicky songs is more of a Cha Cha Cha effect than televote only semis.

Perhaps, but the drop off of "serious" entries from countries that typically have gone down that route in the past(Netherlands, Austria) even when we've had gimmicky winners in the past years is noticeable this year.

I'd have stuck with the juries in the semis but reduced their influence(maybe 35%)?

Jury bait is the worst thing about Eurovision, so thank goodness for this new system and the actually listenable music that has followed

Reactions: GNL
Looking at the selections so far, I'm not overly concerned with the direction of travel and think the 'CCC effect' is probably being a little overstated. As far as I can see, only Finland and Estonia have gone full 00s style novelty entry. They're the most likely countries to be Kaarija influenced anyway, but both were public selections that I actually think would have happened anyway. At best you might argue Finland could have chosen not put a song like that in the selection at all, but I think they probably would have either way. Estonia, it's a massively popular group so they were always going to win.

Fewer countries defaulting to boring jury wank like Boys Don't Cry is certainly a net positive, for my personal taste and for the contest IMO.

I feel the upturn in gimmicky songs is more of a Cha Cha Cha effect than televote only semis.
Yes, I think so.

It all ebbs and flows anyway - one year may trend one way but it'll change more than likely the next.

I still think the televote only semis is a net positive like VoR says. I'm probably more receptive to jury bait than most here, but it's all about balance. And if the televote only means that only the jury bait which is good enough to also attract significant public support makes it through, that's fine by me.

In last year's televote only semis, the ballads from Switzerland, Estonia and Lithuania all managed to qualify without any help from the juries. I agree that if the song is strong enough on the night it'll probably get through. Switzerland in particular have no notable diaspora to rely on, so Watergun qualified entirely on its own merits despite being fairly dull.

My biggest issue with the juries was always their tendency to vote down quirkier or more ethnic stuff. It's impossible to know for certain, but my guess is last year we'd have lost Serbia and Croatia in favour of Latvia and The Netherlands, and possibly Albania in favour of Iceland.

San Marino: Megara - 11:11

IMG_5473.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom