Eurovision Rewatch: 1997 18/04 (20.00 BST)

We'll get there. Look at us all, flailing desperately for something to post about.

That's Rekorderlig might be vegan but it is STRONG. I had 2 bottles of it and was feeling it before I opened an ale. I'll maybe just get 4 of them for next week, skip the beer and just pass out on the keyboard 17 songs in...

I managed to polish off much more than I’ve done for any other rewatch and feel fine which is quite ODD. It took me until mid-afternoon to come round on Thursday.

As I've got older, my hangovers have increasingly moved south.

I’m finding hangovers as I get older, and especially more so now were in isolation, come with a nice side dish of CRIPPLING ANXIETY.

So why exactly did Italy flounce off out the competition after this year? They did really well!
VoR explained earlier they entered by MISTAKE :D in 1997 after having left earlier in the 90s

I'd like to know why they left the first time.

Wikipedia

Italy has withdrawn from the Eurovision Song Contest a number of times. The first withdrawal was in 1981, when RAI stated that interest had diminished in the country.[2] This absence continued through the following year, before Italy returned in 1983. Italy again withdrew in 1986 when RAI decided not to enter the contest. From 1994 to 1996 Italy withdrew again, with RAI citing a lack of interest in participating. Italy returned in 1997, before withdrawing again without explanation, and the country did not participate again until 2011.

I think Italian interest in Eurovision has always been variable at best, though their viewing figures seem to be good these days.

They have the San Remo Festival (a national festival that actually predates and served as a key inspiration for Eurovision) which is a big enough deal in itself for the local music industry.

I don't think their results played a huge part. They won in 1990 and were gone 3 years later. If anything, the cost of hosting probably contributed to putting them off.

I am not entirely sure that the story about Italy entering as a mistake in 1997 is completely true. I have just checked through my fan club magazines from around then and the draw for the running order was done in late November 1996, and they were definitely included then, and in the past countries have withdrawn after the draw had been made - eg Cyprus 1988, Greece 1986, Tunisia 1977, France 1974. It would have definitely cost them more to participate than to just pay the fee, so they must have wanted to participate in some way. As far as I know back then you had to actually agree to perform rather than say you didn't want to, and I find it hard to believe that the EBU would assume Italy would be back after 3 years away when they hadn't even been relegated in that time.

I think Italian interest in Eurovision has always been variable at best, though their viewing figures seem to be good these days.

They have the San Remo Festival (a national festival that actually predates and served as a key inspiration for Eurovision) which is a big enough deal in itself for the local music industry.

I don't think their results played a huge part. They won in 1990 and were gone 3 years later. If anything, the cost of hosting probably contributed to putting them off.

As you say, Italy has always been much more invested in Sanremo which is probably the biggest reason for their lack of interest in Eurovision. They spend at least 15-20 million Euros organising Sanremo each year, probably around what most countries spend on hosting Eurovision. It's a much bigger priority for RAI and the music industry. Elodie who took part this year had the release of her album delayed for two years until she was selected to compete again in the Festival.

Going to Eurovision has generally been an additional extra for the artist. In the 80s-90s in particular, quite a few acts chose not to compete with their winning song, opting to sing an album track instead.

Good news girls my new charger has been despatched. I know you’re all doing this daily anyway, but for those of you who’ve forgot please pray for Lucille.

:lolly::lolly::lolly:
The charger will dramatically arrive seconds before the next rewatch, mark my words.

Catching up on this LATE - god, WHAT A FUCKING CONTEST :disco:

My points, not that they'll make much difference:

12 United Kingdom
10 Italy
08 Poland
07 Iceland
06 Bosnia and Herzegovina
05 Russia
04 Cyprus
03 Estonia
02 Ireland
01 Hungary