Everything But The Girl - Missing

Step off the train...

• Total voters

Penelope

striking, unique, 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘦𝘳
Pronouns
Any

I'm SHOCKED this hasn't been given an obligatory cynical shit update/rehash by now, but I certainly wouldn't object to a second wind. PURE 90s classic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overplayed at the time but deservedly so - absolutely amazing.

The lyrics are just perfect.

I'm back on that train
I ask why did I come again
And can I confess?
I've been hanging around your old address
'Cause the years have proved
To offer nothing since you moved
You're long gone
And I can't move on...

UBER :(

Last edited:
Summed up by VoR really - it was overplayed to ridiculous levels, which can often taint your opinion of a record. But, it really is a 10/10 song. Lyrically beautiful, and the single remix of it really hits the spot.

The fact that it was pretty much ubiquitous during the time it was released and overplayed massively has dented my score a little, but the whole way it's put together, the vocals, the remix, is excellent.

on certain days there just isn't a better song ever in the entire world than this.

Last edited:
I do often just put this on repeat for hours and lose my voice singing along. :disco:

Just me being moopy's contrary Mary then?

When a dance song does well commercially that I never liked in the first place, it's just a little bit horrible for me because it means I end up hearing it EVERYWHERE.

I've just remembered seeing two ropey-looking girls and a bored gay guy performing this WOEFULLY off-key with disdainful looks at each other at some sort of school talent show :D

Overplayed at the time but deservedly so - absolutely amazing.

The lyrics are just perfect.

I'm back on that train
And can I confess?
I've been hanging around your old address
'Cause the years have proved
You're long gone
And I can't move on...

UBER :(

yeah great lyrics

my favourite couplet is:

Could you be dead?
You always were two steps ahead...

I love it but never really feslt the same for it's parent album, Walking Wounded on the other hand, FLAWLESS album.

I love this.

And it evokes such vivid memories for me - of that time in your early teens when your emotions were transferred into the permanent stewardship of hormones, and life became less about the Sega Mega Drive and more about ejaculating as often and discreetly as possible. This song in particular reminds me of my first proper girlfriend. Well, 'proper' in the sense that we were officially 'going out' but which, in actual fact, merely meant that we'd hold hands in the playground at break and not say a word to each other. I'd like to imagine our love was too towering for words, but the reality was altogether less romantic. But i loved her. And she loved me. And in our silent ways we meant the world to each other. THIS became the break-up song. And HOW IT BLEEDS.

I'd couple this with One by One by Cher, actually. In terms of nostalgia bubbles.

Really captures the era too. Many seminal tracks from 1994-1996 share a sensibility which appeals to me to this day.

Last edited:
Another song I associate with Christmas, when it has NOTHING to do with Xmas, despite it's timing as a hit. Solid gold mid 90s house played to maximum effect. I assume it still gets played on radio. It did forever after it was released.

The video was a shocker at the time, in that they both looked like they hadn't eaten since their last hit...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ycPWuo7CsyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tremendous in every way and spawned their best work in the two dance albums that followed it...

I don't find it very Christmassy.

But it is one of my favourite songs of all time.

It was also a SUPER HUGE HIT. Even now this would seen as a triumphant chart run:

8-6-6-4-{3}-3-4-4-5-5-5-4-5-8-14-20-24-33-34-45-61-68

It had to be chucked off the US charts if I recall correctly.

can someone post THAT chart run again?

also the US chart run if they have it?

unFRICKINGbelievable...

Ben Watt was really ill around this time I believe.

Tracey Thorn is one of those you'd expect to be a bit miserable but is actually really funny if you follow her on twitter.

This song and the entire Walking Wounded album is amazing.

US: 94-91-87-83-81-81-77-71-69-69-62-60-44-40-34-33-24-23-17-14-12-11- 10-4-3-3-3-*2*-3-5-5-6-8-8-8-12-16-13-13-16-17-19-20-29-24-29-32-34-38-41-43-41-40-43-47

Last edited:
Could you be DEAD?
You always were two steps AHEAD

Is one of the most delightful rhyming couplets I can remember.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this was the first ever "Ibiza effect" track too. The remix was kind of an accident; this sort of thing (club remixes of pop songs) wasn't commonplace in 1995. The remix wasn't on the album, either.

The success of the single forced a re-press of the album, something EBTG probably NEVER thought they would experience, followed by a Best Of and a follow up album heavily influenced by dance culture.

It's also said to be the sole reason why Madonna went with the "Ray Of Light" concept after her ballad years. I mean "Nothing Really Matters" is essentially Missing Part II.

US: 94-91-87-83-81-81-77-71-69-69-62-60-44-40-34-33-24-23-17-14-12-11- 10-4-3-3-3-*2*-3-5-5-6-8-8-8-12-16-13-13-16-17-19-20-29-24-29-32-34-38-41-43-41-40-43-47

THAT'S RIDICULOUS

I'm back on the train
And can I confess
I've been hanging around your old address?
The years have proved
You're long gone
And I can't move on...

oh and VoR if you haven't already, you should TOTALLY check out the Temperamental album. Bar the two awkward D&B tracks, it's a stunning mix of mellow house and trip hop, and I swear Thorn has never sounded better than on that album...

THAT'S RIDICULOUS

I wish I'd been old enough/had internet access to be a US chart watcher back then. Watching it INCH UP like that would have been amazing. There isn't even a big explosion moment, it just kept going up 2 spaces, 3 spaces, 5 spaces until finally it was at #2.

I'm back on the train
And can I confess
I've been hanging around your old address?
The years have proved
You're long gone
And I can't move on...
Bjorn had clearly been doing a lyric masterclass in the pre-Mamma Mia years to rake in a few extra crowns...

oh and VoR if you haven't already, you should TOTALLY check out the Temperamental album. Bar the two awkward D&B tracks, it's a stunning mix of mellow house and trip hop, and I swear Thorn has never sounded better than on that album...

I have it, but I must admit I haven't given it the time I've given to Walking Wounded or Amplified Heart. I played it recently and enjoyed it, but kind of missed the dominance of Tracey's lyrics.

OUR EIL was listening to 2 Unlimited at this point in his life, so it's hardly surprising he wasn't IMPRESSED by THE GIRL

I've been quite fascinated by 80s Everything But The Girl recently - they're like a completely different band.

I love this one.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/akzc5xuCSvg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Every day's like Christmas day without you
It's cold and there's nothing to do...

Last edited:
OUR EIL was listening to 2 Unlimited at this point in his life, so it's hardly surprising he wasn't IMPRESSED by THE GIRL

Not at all. They'd already split up by this point and I was onto stuff like Orbital.

Had I voted for this back in 1996, this would have actually have got a firm zero. I used to watch a hell of a lot of dance music on MTV and this was on ALL THE TIME. As it was a record I already disliked, it's considerable overplay made me hate it even more. I didn't like Todd Terry's other stuff at the time either. Somethin' Goin' On was nauseating. Nowadays, I don't mind this track so much.

Also, if I recall correctly, the band were not impressed with their record company going on to remix more of their work and issue a GH package as they'd already been dropped by that label and had moved onto another. I remember Thorn stating that she didn't mind them bringing out a GH but remixing stuff was a whole other issue.

By the 00s, they were much better as solo artists. The dancey Tracy Thorn album is AMAZING and Ben Watt's house stuff on Buzzin' Fly is also ace.

yeah they had big issues with the label. Hence why they've since gone back and released a GH package of their own, and their own remix album which is, as Christian and ameraal will attest, BLOODY AMAZING.

So glad they managed to negotiate with the old label on a proper GH as it contained ALL the right versions of their signature tracks, including lots of non-singles which were really popular with the FANZ. The choice of the Chicane mix of "Before Today", the Photek remix of "Single" and the inclusion of the Lazy Dog bootleg and "No Difference" (best album track from Temperamental) are all TOTALLY inspired.

220px-EBTG_-_Like.gif

08 "My Head Is My Only House Unless It Rains" (Captain Beefheart)
08 "Rollercoaster"
07 "Corcovado"
06 "Each and Every One"
10 "Before Today" (Chicane Remix)
08 "Mine"
10 "Protection" (Massive Attack with Tracey Thorn)
10 "Single" (Photek Remix)
11 "Tracey in My Room" (Lazy Dog Bootleg Vocal Mix)
10 "Missing" (Todd Terry Remix)
07 "Almost Blue" (Elvis Costello)
10 "No Difference"
06 "Cross My Heart"
08 "Mirrorball"
06 "A Piece of My Mind"
08 "Walking Wounded"

I perhaps should return to the Walking Wounded album. I wonder if I would like it now I'm into Ben / Tracy's SOLO WORK. I can remember finding the title track bloody boring at the time but Wrong was OK.

And who hasn't been HERE, LOVES

Out amongst the walking wounded
Every face on every bus
Is you and me or him and her
But nothing can replace the us I knew...

I perhaps should return to the Walking Wounded album. I wonder if I would like it now I'm into Ben / Tracy's SOLO WORK. I can remember finding the title track bloody boring at the time but Wrong was OK.

Walking Wounded is all about the album tracks... Single, Before Today, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom