Everything But The Girl - Missing

Step off the train...

• Total voters
Wrong has some amazing remixes, but in its original form it's SUCH a classic case of 'shamelessly re-write your biggest hit' and they really should have been above that.

Walking Wounded is amazing, but my tracks of choice from that album are The Heart Remains a Child and Mirrorball.

I dreamed about you again last night
You never have the same face twice
But I always know it's you
And you're always looking better than you really do

And I walk around the whole next day
Feeling like I've still got something to say
But I don't know what it is
And I don't know how to reach you even if I did

Do I wanna hear that you forgive me?
Do I wanna hear you're no good without me?
And am I big enough to hear that you never even think about me?
Why should you ever think about me?

:( :( :(

Last edited:
My strongest and fondest memory of this track is six-year old me watching a performance in a primary school talent contest, replete with pained facial expressions, bizarrely ornate flicky hand movements and a spoken-word segment. It remains possibly the campest thing I have ever seen.

All kinds of wonderful . It also made the album a firm fave when at uni where my mate had it on vinyl and would play the shit out of it in a weed clouded room.

It also of course influenced noted band No Mercy and "Where do you go"

Last edited:
One of my favourite songs of all time but I will be controversial and I will say that my favourite version will always be the original LP version.

And yes the rest of Amplified Heart is GORGEOUS.

Gavin said:
I love this.

And it evokes such vivid memories for me - of that time in your early teens when your emotions were transferred into the permanent stewardship of hormones, and life became less about the Sega Mega Drive and more about ejaculating as often and discreetly as possible. This song in particular reminds me of my first proper girlfriend. Well, 'proper' in the sense that we were officially 'going out' but which, in actual fact, merely meant that we'd hold hands in the playground at break and not say a word to each other. I'd like to imagine our love was too towering for words, but the reality was altogether less romantic. But i loved her. And she loved me. And in our silent ways we meant the world to each other. THIS became the break-up song. And HOW IT BLEEDS.

I'd couple this with One by One by Cher, actually. In terms of nostalgia bubbles.
Wow. Gavin was like a proto-straightorbroken, just not actually joking.

I'm not voting. This song is so EMOTIONALLY HORRIFIC for me that I never EVER want to hear it again

Not to put TOO FINE A POINT ON IT

Wow. Gavin was like a proto-straightorbroken, just not actually joking.

I rebuke this. It's not my personal bag to diss on the internet :D

I like the sound of this Gavin if he enjoys Cher and 90s computer consoles, but otherwise don't see the comparison.

I just means in terms of his ability to paint a vivid picture. You obviously have a different frame of references, ranging from bulimia to HIV.

What's in everyone's EBTG collection? I've got:

Amplified Heart
Walking Wounded
Temperamental
The Best of EBTG

Am I missing any essentials?

What's in everyone's EBTG collection? I've got:

Amplified Heart
Walking Wounded
Temperamental
The Best of EBTG

Am I missing any essentials?

The remix album is an absolute must, and the collection album I posted in the last page is far superior to the best of version.

The remix album is an absolute must, and the collection album I posted in the last page is far superior to the best of version.
Adapt Or Die? For that one is brilliant and worth the price of entry for the remix of "Mirrorball" alone.

I've got 15 of their albums/singles/compilations and that is one of the very best, if you like Walking Wounded and Temperamental at least. I really do love Baby, The Stars Shine Bright as well (i.e. EBTG + orchestra) though the CD sadly sounds pretty awful. The earlier stuff is rather less compelling.

Last edited:
I really do love Baby, The Stars Shine Bright as well (i.e. EBTG + orchestra) though the CD sadly sounds pretty awful.

Baby... was given the deluxe re-issue treatment this year alongside Eden, Idlewild and Love Not Money.

51I75YsWUbL._SL500_.jpg

DISC ONE
BABY THE STARS SHINE BRIGHT
1. Come On Home
2. Don't Leave Me Behind
3. A Country Mile
4. Cross My Heart
5. Don't Let The Teardrops Rust Your Shining Heart
6. Careless
7. Sugar Finney
8. Come Hell Or High Water
9. Fighting Talk
10. Little Hitler

DISC TWO
B-SIDES
1. Come On Home [extended mix]
2. Draining The Bar
3. I Fall To Pieces
4. Come On Home [acoustic]
5. Alfie
6. Where s The Playground Susie?
7. Almost Blue
HOME DEMOS [1985]
8. Come On Home
9. Sugar Finney
10. Careless
11. Cross My Heart
12. Little Hitler

Come On Home is absolutely gorgeous.

Oh, very interesting, thanks VoR. I'm rather hesitant to press buy though as I've always had the feeling it sounds so awful due to the technology it's recorded with.

They seem to have expressly stopped it being available to download as it's not on iTunes or Amazon.

FUCK OFF :manson:

I've recently picked up quite a FEW albums of theirs in local charity shops, strangely. So that now, as well as having "Walking Wounded", "Temperamental" and "The Best of", I've also picked up "Eden", "Amplified Heart" and "Worldwide". I've only played them all once but they're OK rather than OUTSTANDING to me...

When it was released here in the US, you could not escape it on the radio or MTV/VH1. I feel it’s a perfect track. (I also didn’t hate Will Young’s cover :shy: )

Sidebar: I do hope Tracey starts all her texts with a "could you be dead?" before even beginning to compose her actual text that will come after the confirmation. Anyway, Missing and Protection gave me this dreamy sense of Tracey being both otherworldly and the most ordinary single white female imaginable. I guess the way Todd Terry transports the song into another realm via house music fantasia really adds to the sense of losing your whereabouts by holding on to something that no longer exists, it adds even more weight to the lyrics of which are deceptively polite and apologetic. And the video for Protection totally taking it's cue from Dubstar making tea, Richie Edwards leopardprint leftovers and Bjork making an egg further enhanced their cultural moment. Tracey's dulcet tones, doe eyed diffidence and silky/sulky quietude is the still calm and Terry's beats bustling around her is a decade defining decadence only overtaken by Cher's Taxi Taxi. And it was a jewel live (see Jools Live for details). Todd Terry's stuff didn't always work, or rather the formula didn't pan out, but Something Goin' On is another song that evokes a time when all this music would be blasted out of cars, shops, houses and even segments on Newsround.

Quite taken with the idea of a Nadine Dorries x Boris drag act to this

RIGHT UP THERE with ONE WAY OR ANOTHER as a STALKING TRACK OF CHOICE :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom