Mint
Oregano
Parsley (Flat Leaf)
Parsley (Curly leaf)
Rosemary
Thyme
Sage
Tarragon (French)
THREE sorts of basil? I don’t even know which one I actually know!

Trust the WHITES not to know their herbs from their spices. Because they NEVER USE ANY!

WHAT!
That's probably more true of the British (and I suspect Northern Europe generally?), but if you think it's bad now, go back a couple of generations and it was appalling.

Not only was the idea of using herbs or spices to enhance or add flavour pretty much a foreign concept, but there was about a 50% chance that whatever was on your plate was boiled, grey, and pretty much without any flavour, colour or texture it originally had.

Even now my mother is afraid of herbs. I doubt she's ever bought a fresh one. And if she's roasting a tray of vegetables (an act itself which I'm sure she'd consider pretty avant-garde), the idea of throwing some thyme or oregano in with the oil simply wouldn't cross her mind.

Last edited:
That's probably more true of the British (and I suspect Northern Europe generally?), but if you think it's bad now, go back a couple of generations and it was appalling.

Not only was the idea of using herbs or spices to enhance or add flavour pretty much a foreign concept, but there was about a 50% chance that whatever was on your plate was boiled, grey, and pretty much without any flavour, colour or texture it originally had.

Even now my mother is afraid of herbs. I doubt she's ever bought a fresh one. And if she's roasting a tray of vegetables (an act itself which I'm sure she'd consider pretty avant-garde), the idea of throwing some thyme or oregano in with the oil simply wouldn't cross her mind.

In Sweden they only started using garlic in cooking in the 1970’s. (They had used it in previous centuries but forgot about it)

(I hate garlic so I should have lived back then instead)

In Sweden they only started using garlic in cooking in the 1970’s. (They had used it in previous centuries but forgot about it)

(I hate garlic so I should have lived back then instead)
I suspect the UK isn't that different. My first memory of garlic would be from the late 70s/early 80s in the form of supermarket frozen chicken Kievs, which were overwhelmingly strong, and made me believe I hated garlic until I left home and started playing around with flavours myself.

It's like these foreigns don't even put dandelion leaves in their food. You just have to remember to rinse the dog piss off before cooking. Unless you're into that. We don't kink-shame around here.

I use garlic in such a high proportion of my cooking that I don't even know if I like it anymore, because I wouldn't know what food tastes like without it.

?? Basil (Greek) - Who?
10 Basil (Sweet)
10 Basil (Thai)
08 Bay - Overused but a good herb in the right context
06 Chervil - Not really given a chance
06 Chives - Could live without them tbh
10 Coriander - Essential QOH
08 Curry Leaf - Good herb with limited range
08 Dill - Another good herb in the right dish
10 Fennel (fronds) - Fucking love fennel me
00 Garlic Chives - Sorry but I don't know her
-1 Lavender -Idiot herb
09 Lime Leaf (Kaffir) - Marked down for its racist undertones
00 Lovage - 🤷‍♀️
06 Marjoram - 70s herb, get fucked
10 Mint - Up there with the best
09 Oregano - Underrated herb
08 Parsley (Flat Leaf)
08 Parsley (Curly leaf)
11 Rosemary - People who don't understand rosemary don't understand cooking
09 Thyme - Classic
07 Sage - Good for stuffing and risotto
06 Tarragon (French) - Meh

I use garlic in such a high proportion of my cooking that I don't even know if I like it anymore, because I wouldn't know what food tastes like without it.
Yup. When in doubt there's GARLIC.

When I see the phrase "season well", I consider it open invitation to go absolutely mental.

Rosemary I've only ever used to garnish rather than flavour. Lamb IIRC.

I know it's rather lovely on baked goods, but I don't bake.

For anyone (no?) wondering what Greek Basil looks like, it's the small leaved variety:

5007.jpg

640x640.jpg

I bought this book a while back (I would have said about 5 years ago, but amazon tells me it was in fact in 2011) which taught me an awful lot about herbs, spices and foods which complement each other. I really recommend it to anyone interested in making their food more tasty. I think the anchovy and lamb suggestion may have come from it. There are some recipes, but primarily it's a book about food with suggestions of pairings and combinations. Much of it is 'take a hunk of this cheese. Now try it with dark chocolate. Or raspberries' etc.

1000011938.jpg

There was also a sequel 'More Flavours' published last year which is more plant based focused, but I've not got that one.

I bought this book a while back (I would have said about 5 years ago, but amazon tells me it was in fact in 2011) which taught me an awful lot about herbs, spices and foods which complement each other. I really recommend it to anyone interested in making their food more tasty. I think the anchovy and lamb suggestion may have come from it. There are some recipes, but primarily it's a book about food with suggestions of pairings and combinations.

View attachment 23473

There was also a sequel 'More Flavours' published last year which is more plant based focused, but I've not got that one.
I have that. It's fantastic!

On the subject of essential books for food, I would also recommend this by Kenji Lopez-Alt:

41CuRrDcqJL.jpg

I bought this book a while back (I would have said about 5 years ago, but amazon tells me it was in fact in 2011) which taught me an awful lot about herbs, spices and foods which complement each other. I really recommend it to anyone interested in making their food more tasty. I think the anchovy and lamb suggestion may have come from it. There are some recipes, but primarily it's a book about food with suggestions of pairings and combinations. Much of it is 'take a hunk of this cheese. Now try it with dark chocolate. Or raspberries' etc.

View attachment 23473

Oh I need this. I've only really got into cooking in the last year or two. I think I do understand flavour, I just don't know them all :)

Same, and given that I generally have high blood pressure I wonder how further it would be climbing if it wasn't for garlic.

And it is known as that because it is the variety predominantly used in Greece and placed on tables in tavernas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom