House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel)

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
First official images released

emma-d-arcy-matt-smith.jpg

Will cover the gradual fall of the Targaryen’s and when they lost their dragons a 100 years or so before GoT. The cast:
  • Paddy Considine as King Viserys Targaryen
  • Emma D’Arcy, as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, daughter of King Viserys
  • Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen, the younger brother of King Viserys
  • Olivia Cooke (pictured below) as Alicent Hightower
  • Rhys Ifans (pictured below) as Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King
  • Eve Best as Princess Rhaenys Velaryon
  • Sonoya Mizuno as Mysaria, trusted ally of Prince Daemon Targaryen
  • Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon, the “nautical adventurer” also known as “The Sea Snake”
  • Fabien Frankel as Kingsguard knight Ser Criston Cole

Obviously there’s lots of animosity because of how GoT ended but I’m a sucker for the world and the story is by George (as part of his companion books and short stories) and it has some his flourishes for murder and evil.

I only watched Game of Thrones because I was sick of hearing people go on about it and it wore me down

I don’t foresee the same problem with this so I’m out tbc

I'm interested in this - I read Fire and Blood after Christmas so the scars have just about healed from how Game of Thrones ended up. Can't really remember where these characters fit in the story as there were just so many similarly named Targaryens.

100 years before GoT? come through, infant Maester Aemon!

Are the idiot GoT showrunners involved?

100 years before GoT? come through, infant Maester Aemon!

I think then it’s more cause those would be his great (great?) grandparents. So maybe 200 years.

I think I'm looking forward to this, largely on account of how cool the Sea Snake is. They'd better not mess it up.

I haven't even read the book. I don't know when this hits the waves but I reckon there's no rush

FIRST TEASER OUT

will watch anything for Matt Smith and this looks fantastique. here's hoping (praying) they've got this right. I'm very here for more debauchery on Westeros if so, even if the Targaryens are not my favourite HOUSE.

I can only imagine the hype this would have if the original series had ended on a high.

As it is, everyone will be very "let's wait and see" with this. Shame that everything in the SOIAF universe will be judged by the last 4 episodes of GOT, but it is what it is.

Prequels are so lame as well. Why should we care when we know how it ends (DISASTROUSLY in this case :basil:)

Anyway I never liked GoT and only watched it because I didn't want to feel left out 🥴 so this screams SKIPPABLE

Last edited:
I hope, despite the name, there are very few dragons involved. I always preferred the non-magic bits - the sex, killing and politics.

I hope, despite the name, there are very few dragons involved. I always preferred the non-magic bits - the sex, killing and politics.

Yes the plotting and power grabs were the best parts I think.

In the book from which I believe this prequel is drawn there seemed to be quite a bit of gadding about on dragons along with all the politics and family feuds.

Prequels are so lame as well. Why should we care when we know how it ends (DISASTROUSLY in this case :basil:)

Anyway I never liked GoT and only watched it because I didn't want to feel left out 🥴 so this screams SKIPPABLE

It’s a prequel set centuries before the other events. So there’s no way of knowing what happens to these characters unless you’re way in on the lore/lineage, and even then it’s only based on the books lore and things can change

It’s just occurred to me that Dragon and Rings are both launching within the same TV season. If both turn out to be good, the Emmys next year is going to be very interesting. I can just imagine the fanboy wars already.

I'm getting excited for this now. the trailer is pretty great. I'm just wondering if the cast is a bit beige but let's see.

The girl playing young Rhaynera is very striking (hence why they’re using her for the posters).

Are we supposed to know who these characters are because I could barely remember anyone beyond the main cast of GoT now?

Just watched the trailer. Very good. My only reservation is that it seems to be very much centred on the Targaryens and all that surrounds them, whereas one of the beauties of GoT was that it was several houses and kingdoms intertwined and politicking against each other. I wonder if it will end up being a bit one note.

I also hope that they've found a way to bring the humour of GRRM to the show, because so far all we're getting is lots of beautiful if morose set pieces. GoT had an abundance of soul. There's some terrific people working on this show so I'm sure they will, but the trailers aren't showing much at all.

The source material of the new series is (part of) a chronicle of the reigns of the Targaryens so very different from the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm sure there will be fleshed out subplots but the drama within the Targaryens will be the focus.

One week to go and I am quite excited for this. The reaction from those selected from the loon fanbase to see the premiere of the first episode has been very positive - Matt Smith apparently steals the show.

Is this next week :shock: I thought it still months away. I think I’m ready to re-enter the GoT universe again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom