I’m going to rank every Fiona Apple song ever

untilted

massive attack inspired
Something I’ve been meaning to do for quite some time. If anyone is interested stay tuned, it’ll probably appear in chunks and likely start this evening with each song being immortalised with key lyrics and whatnot.

After all, WHERE ELSE COULD I POSSIBLY DO THIS?

Let’s celebrate this dog-loving, LGBTQ supporting, courtwatching ICON NOW, before it’s too late.

No covers though - if she didn’t put pen to paper it doesn’t belong here

I’ve never really got into Fiona out of the 90s banshees, she’s a bit TOO alternative for me. I appreciate her as an artist though. Feel free to tag me in any of her more bluesy trippy stuff

I’ve never really got into Fiona out of the 90s banshees, she’s a bit TOO alternative for me. I appreciate her as an artist though. Feel free to tag me in any of her more bluesy trippy stuff
There’s not MUCH of it to be fair, there’d likely be a handful of songs you’d enjoy I think, the bluisier stuff tends to be concentrated to her debut, such as ‘Shadowboxer’ or ‘Sleep to Dream’ which has a slightly trippy vibe. They’ll be covered in detail of course!

I am listening to the entire discography now to prepare. On one hand this is going to be quite easy but also probably nail biting at the top. I love this woman so much, HOW DO I POSSIBLY MAKE CHOICES

03JPFIONA2-jumbo.jpg

Fiona. Fiona. Fiona.

She has graced us with a flawless back catalogue, although this is certainly supported by the fact she has only released 5 studio albums since 1996. If a person said to me "every Fiona Apple album is a 5 star masterpiece!" would I agree? Well perhaps not, but I don't think I'd argue it either.

I am hoping this thread will be a useful source for anybody who is looking to deep dive into the world of Fiona (and in that case my advice is simple - start from the beginning and don't veer off the path. EVER.) Enjoy the ride!

I have wanted to do this for some time, as this woman is my absolute favourite and has validated so many of my own feelings through her lyrics and progress!

I am not including cover songs or collaborations where Fiona does not appear as a writer. All of the songs on this list, aside from one, are available to listen to on Spotify and are contained within Fiona's studio albums. I am also not including the original versions from Extraordinary Machine as it'll complicate things further, so instead I will be referring to the songs that made the final released version of the album.

There is a SMALL chance something may be missed, but I am confident I'll have you covered.

Let's dive into the mind and experience of Fiona Apple from the angsty teenager of '96 to the socio-political woman of today who continues to push boundaries through her art.

And so it begins... all opinions are my own! I am not here to necessarily surprise or shock, and this is HARD.

57. LARGO

A love song to Fiona's favourite place (LA's Largo is the one place Fiona can be counted on to show up and perform). Fiona sings tenderly of the joy of belonging.
Best lyric: "Handle me like family and that'll be enough, to keep me from dying when I want to die."

56. CARRION

A (mostly) quiet but multi-layered track, Tidal's closer allows Fiona to explore love-gone-wrong (and there'll be plenty of that!) Fiona notches up the volume in the second half and brings the song to a triumphant climax as the contemplates whether to walk away or attempt to save her lover.
Best lyric: "You can't intimidate me back into your arms. Because honey, I've gone away."

55. WALTZ (BETTER THAN FINE)

A charming Baroque mid-tempo, 'Waltz (Better Than Fine)' is a reflective, jaunty piano-driven track where Fiona reflects on kindness and humbleness, suggesting it is absolutely okay to just "be".
Best lyric: "If you don't have a date, celebrate. Go out and sit on the lawn, and do nothing."

54. PALE SEPTEMBER

A significantly tender moment, 'Pale September' shows Fiona reflecting and contrasting her cold to her lovers warm. A dreamy, cocooning track.
Best lyric: "Unweighted down by passion or intensity, yet unaware of the depth upon which he coasts."

53. ON I GO

A hypnotic, and somewhat intense track. 'On I Go' is probably one of the more challenging Fiona Apple tracks (in my opinion). With a heavy percussive aspect, a restless Fiona bangs and crackles her way out of the Fetch The Bolt Cutters album.
Best lyric: "Up until now, in a rush to prove, but now, I only move to move."

52. TYPMS (THE SICK IN THE HEAD SONG)

Tymps a fairly funky track from Fiona, towing the line between being a song you can tap your foot to, or a moment where you go "hang on, this sounds like a TOXIC situation". Still, Fiona keeps a cool head as she reflects on the unfavourable situation she's found herself in.
Best lyric: "I'm either so sick in the head, I need to be bled dry to quit. Or I just really used to love him... I sure hope that's it."

51. DRUMSET

Pots & pans galore, or at least that's how is sounds as Fiona creates a racket on Drumset, Fiona stands her ground assertively as she sings of feeling diminished and points her finger. This one is best enjoyed with good headphones to hear the organic production.
Best lyric: "Why did you not want to try? Why did you take it all away?"

Carrion is one of my favourites from Tidal.

My feel for you, boy, is decaying in front of me
Like the carrion of a murdered prey
And all I want is to save you, honey
Or the strength to walk away

The 'Pale September' piano is so haunting. That intro alone is so moody and hypnotic.

I doubt there will be a HUGE CROWD here, but I know some of you will enjoy this. More coming after dinner!

Time for more...

50. THE CHILD IS GONE

A stirring and remarkably mature track, Fiona was a teenager when she wrote this (and the rest of Tidal - let that sink in for a moment). Fiona steps into her womanhood for The Child is Gone, although the lyrics are, as per, drenched in darkness rather than light.
Best lyric: "So darling give me your absence tonight. Take all of your sympathy and leave it outside".

49. SLOW LIKE HONEY

Slow Like Honey indeed. Fiona delivers a hauntingly beautiful vocal, mostly staying in the confines of her superb lower register. Fiona stays in control as she taunts and teases her lover - promising to put a spell on him that he'll never forget.
Best lyric: "So I stretch myself across like a bridge, and I pull you to the edge".

48. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Fiona's 3rd album Extraordinary Machine was full of dry, cutting and observational lyrics, and Please Please Please certainly didn't fall flat in that regard. She commands some of the confidence we saw later down the line with The Idler Wheel and Fetch The Bolt Cutters, just before full bloom. Could've been a radio hit, somewhere... maybe it was! If not, we can just keep it for us.
Best lyric: "My method is uncertain, it's a mess but it's working".

47. THE FIRST TASTE

Fiona takes us all to a salsa class for the very chic and charming '...First Taste', a multi-layered song which, in comparison to some of the big hitters coming up, MAY seem boring, but requires a little time to enjoy to full potential. Some of the instrumentation here is even a bit Sade leaning, which I LOVE. It's just a charmer.
Best lyric: "I do not struggle in your web, because it was my aim to get caught. But daddy longlegs, I feel that I'm finally growing weary of waiting to be consumed by you".

46. SLEEP TO DREAM

Now THIS, I imagine, will be a shock placement for many of you. Sleep To Dream is a bloody good song, but shall I care to explain why it's not in the upper echelons of this countdown? For me, 'Sleep To Dream' whilst showcasing the infancy of Fiona's inner rage, only really touches the surface of it. She goes way harder and further with it later on. A good song nonetheless which showcases the potential of a brilliant mind, but doesn't cut through the core for me.
Best lyric: "Take the sorrow you gave and all the stakes you claim - and don't forget the blame!"

45. OH WELL

Fiona rides the wave of heartbreak and rage on 'Oh Well' before resigning herself when she realises she wasted her unconditional love on a man who doesn't believe it. 'Oh Well' is an amazing song which takes you through the journey of the relationship, with Fiona's commentary cutting like a knife.
Best lyric: "What you did to me made me see myself somethin' awful, a voice once stentorian is now again meek and muffled".

44. I WANT YOU TO LOVE ME

Aside from being absolutely brilliant, 'I Want You To Love Me' will forever be immortalised in any Fiona Apple fans brain as being THE moment we hit that play button after years of waiting. The song slowly builds into a crescendo and Fiona's voice gets bigger and bigger as she loudly wonders where the love is that she's been waiting for. Fiona descends into an uncontrolled head voice and lets out several animalic yelps as the song closes, whilst the rest of us try to catch our breath, quickly ascending to euphoria.
Best lyric: "I've waited many years. Every print I left upon the track has led me here."

43. WINDOW

Unleashing some rage but with fabulous control and sass, a scheming Fiona talks us through her thought-process as she begins to unravel in what appears to be the face of betrayal (but of course open to the interpretation of the listener). As Fiona finally calms down, she re-establishes her self-worth "...him her or me... especially me". Fantastic as per.
Best lyrics: "I had to break the window, it just had to be - it was in my way. Better that I break the window, than him, or her, or me".

42. DULL TOOL

One that could easily be missed by new Fiona fans ('Dull Tool' isn't available on Spotify). 'Dull Tool' was submitted by Fiona for the soundtrack to 'This Is 40'. A glorious, uplifting but all the same unnerving track, Fiona establishes the effort required to maintain a healthy relationship. Don't forget - you're more likely to get cut by a dull tool than a sharp one! Vocally she sounds SO beautiful on this one.
Best lyric: "No pulse in your impulse, celebration's impossible".

41. LEFT ALONE

A hardened and bitter Fiona unleashes what could be seen as some seriously complicated frustration on 'Left Alone', with back and forth contradictions and a real appetite for rage. Lyrically this goes to places that only Fiona could, and over the course of the song she unravels and pulls herself together too many times to keep up, until all she can do is let out a sigh of exhaustion.
Best lyric: "You made your overtures when you were a sure and orotund mutt, and I was still a dewey petal rather than a moribund slut".

40. RED RED RED

With anger and heartbreak spilling into visceral and highly concentrated emotion, Fiona takes us on a journey as she begins to question many facets of existence, offering some glorious observations in her thought-process.
Best lyric: "I don't understand about diamonds and why men buy them. What's so impressive about a diamond except the mining?"

39. RELAY

Relay is a song which almost became something when Fiona was 15. She was inspired by the idea of a 'relay race' and made a note of it in her notebook, before it emerged as a full glory song on '...Bolt Cutters', motivated by the Brett Kavanaugh hearings in 2018. Fiona eventually realises the cycle she could lead herself in through her anger, and so instead - gives us this brilliant song.
Best lyric: "I used to go to the ferris wheel every morning. Just to throw my anger out the door".

38. RACK OF HIS

Offbeat with melodies that sound like they shouldn't quite work, but somehow do 'Rack of His' features some yelp-like vocal and percussive charm, with Fiona professing her undying love whilst arguably not getting much back in return.
Best lyric: "And I've been used so many times, I've learned to use myself in kind. I try to drum, I try to write. I can't do either well".

37. TO YOUR LOVE

'To Your Love' is a heavily charged song which froths and bubbles with self-loathing, and of course some carefully directed anger outside of that. The Middle 8 is absolutely SENSATIONAL in addition to the sneering chants of 'TO YOUR LOVEEEEE! TO YOUR LOVEEEEE!' a turning point for Fiona when she started to become less about impressing others and more centred on using art as a form of expression, any expression.
Best lyric: "Please forgive me for my distance, the shame is manifest in my resistance to your love"

36. JONATHAN

A slightly quirky cut from 'The Idler Wheel', and a poem to one man Fiona has always had time for: Jonathan Ames. A once boyfriend but always a friend, Fiona penned the track and put it on the album, to break up with him soon after. They do remain friends (as far as I know) and the song jitters along with intrigue and glimmers of hope as Fiona settles into her content with the man himself.
Best lyric: "Kiss me while I calculate and calibrate and heaven's sake, don't make me explain".

35. FOR HER

Feeling sonically like something like a follow up to the glorious 'Hot Knife' (more of that later, spoiler: MUCH later..) 'For Her' with it's rapid vocal delivery and upbeat production, feels like a song we should all chant along to. However, look deeper and you'll realise that Fiona is clearly capturing on the experiences of many women she's come into contact with, even touching upon her own experience. Those experiences contrast shockingly against the production, before reaching an overwhelming climax.
Most powerful lyric: "Well, good morning, good morning. You raped me in the same bed your daughter was born in". (best did not feel like an appropriate word for this one)

34. DAREDEVIL

Daredevil would've ranked muuuuch higher had I compiled this list say, 5-10 years ago, but we are where we are and it's fantastic nonetheless. With an extremely organic and off-beat production, Fiona delivers one of the most passion vocal performances of her decade (the GUTTERAL emotion in that middle 8 never fails) whilst doing what she only does best - reflecting on her reality whilst dipping into a deep sense of desperation and urgency that shines brightly as this track cooks up a quick storm.
Best lyric: "Say I'm an airplane and the gashes I got from my heartbreak, make the slots and the flaps upon my wings, and I use them to give me lip".

33. NEWSPAPER

A story of sisterhood overcoming oppression, Fiona has confirmed the brooding 'Newspaper' is about two very specific people but hasn't confirmed who they are (Paul Thomas Anderson perhaps?!). Easily one of her more atmospheric tracks, 'Newspaper' tells a brilliant story of Fiona's watching eye and the closeness she feels to women who have suffered the same fate that she has.
Best lyric: "I watch him walk over, talk over you, be mean to you, and it makes me feel close to you".

32. GET GONE

WHAT. A. BREAK. UP. SONG. This is how you DO IT! Fiona's had enough as she screams at the top of her lungs of how she absolute MUST remove this dickhead from her life. Whilst she does ponder on the long-term damage, she keeps focus on the urgency of speaking her scorned truth. And we love it.
Best lyric: "I'll idealise and realise that it's no sacrifice, because the price is paid, and there's nothing left to grieve... Fucking go".

31. FETCH THE BOLT CUTTERS

Featuring a bizarre cameo from Cara Delevingne and a chorus of dogs barking at the end, FTBC, sharing its title with the album itself tells the story of a lesson learned and frustrations around people who can, quite frankly, pull the wool and take us for a ride. With a simple request of fetch the bolt cutters, Fiona seeks to preserve her sense of self and escape from the madness. Somewhere in the midst of the madness, the track delivers some ambient relief.
Best lyric: "I grew up in the shoes they told me I could fill, shoes that were not made for running up that hill, and I need to run up that hill, I need to run up that hill, I will, I will, I will, I will, I will".

Last edited:
Oh excellent idea. She’s so talented. ‘When The Pawn…’ came at the right time for me but ‘Extraordinary Machine’ is top notch too. All the albums are very good though.

Oh excellent idea. She’s so talented. ‘When The Pawn…’ came at the right time for me but ‘Extraordinary Machine’ is top notch too. All the albums are very good though.
Ahhh Extraordinary Machine is probably her weakest album for me, ALTHOUGH I’d still rank it 4.5/5 :D

And the funny thing is, Extraordinary Machine would probably be the strongest album of any other artist I listen to? We are pulling hairs…

Glad this is being enjoyed - I’ll complete it today!

I've tried but never been able to break through with Fiona Apple, even a little bit, but I'm enjoying this thread nonetheless. It's clear that you're really passionate about her and I like your love and positivity for even the songs you've ranked as her "worst".

I'm back! With more Fiona goodness! Before you know it we'll be creeping into the top 20, top 10... and UNVEILLING THE ultimate Fiona Apple song (as per my opinion, of course!)

Let's dive back in...

30. NOT ABOUT LOVE

Fiona falls head over heels OUT of love as she spits her way through this anti love song, exclaiming "I am not in love... in fact I can't stop falling out". but there is a twist... she finally confesses "I miss that stupid ache" as the song crash bangs to a close, giving the listener no choice but to scratch their head in amazement. A superb exploration of doubt, fear and love all wrapped up in a 4:19 run-time with plenty of spike from Fiona.
Best lyric: "A conversation once coloured by esteem, became a dialogue as a diagram of a play for blood".

29. PERIPHERY

'Periphery' gives Fiona an opportunity to hone in on her experience as an outsider whilst also reflecting on another doomed relationship. Whilst she may be looking in, observing, she certainly has a commentary about it. In a surprising twist or maturity and acceptance, Fiona wishes nothing but the best, albeit from a sharpened tongue.
Best lyric: "He found a prettier girl than me, with a more even-tempered air. And if he wants her, he should get her... 'Cause I think he thinks she's worth it".

28. PARTING GIFT

'Parting Gift' is a clever piano ballad in which Fiona recounts the small joys contained in a relationship that contrast with the ultimate heartbreak and abyss. Borderline jovial or even sarcastic, Fiona eventually submits herself to the bittersweet over thrashing piano keys and an extremely pointed vocal. I'd love some insight into the reaction of whoever this one is about when they first heard it...
Best lyric: "All the signs said 'stop!' but we went on wholehearted, it ended bad, but I love what we started".

27. BETTER VERSION OF ME

At 2:59, 'Better Version Of Me' is an upbeat (by Fiona's standards) ditty with a fantastic Baroque leaning production. Fiona makes a desperate attempt to improve herself, dragging herself in the process before holding herself up strong and commanding the listener - "here it comes, a better version of me!". The below lyric is arguably one of her best ever, and puts a smile on my face every. single. time...
Best lyric: "I am likely to miss the main event, if I stop to cry and complain again. So I will keep a deliberate pace, let the damn breeze dry my face!"

26. ON THE BOUND

Fiona opened 'When The Pawn...' in 1999 with 'On The Bound', fully fleshing out and releasing some of the angst we heard snippets of on 'Tidal'. With a massive Sinead O'Connor esque chorus, Fiona unleashes a wrath of unease as she considers whether to continue on her dangerous path or seek the high-road. Whether Fiona is encouraging us to follow her path or avoid it, is entirely down to the listener to decide.
Best lyric: "Baby lay your head on my lap one more time. Tell me you belong to me. Baby, say that it's all gonna be alright... I believe that it isn't" .

25. LOVE RIDDEN

Another top tier Fiona ballad, 'Love Ridden' cuts to the core of the listener as she sings delicately about two experiences most of us will have at some point, and maybe even many times. First, the death of a relationship, and secondly the painful and enduring transition of going from the ultimate connection to being strangers. Fiona allows her voice to crack once or twice as she deals with the emotional nature of the song.
Best lyric: "No not baby anymore, if I need you I'll just use your simple name. Only kisses on the cheek from now on, and in a little while we'll only have to wave".

24. THE WAY THINGS ARE

One of Fiona's catchiest tracks, with a rocky groove, Fiona throws herself into deep resistance as she taunts her lover, offering a stern warning that the second she settles down, she'll ultimately move on. This is a dangerous game, and it looks like there won't be any winners. Do yourself a favour and skip to 1:42 to hear one of the best vocal performances of all time. DAMN!
Best lyric: "How could I fight, when we're on the same side? How could I fight... beside you?!"

23. SHADOWBOXER

The jazzy leaning and incredibly atmospheric 'Shadowboxer' has aged SO well. Probably the best vocal performance from baby Fiona, the track documents an epic game of cat-and-mouse between Fiona and her lover. In this case, and without a shadow of a doubt, the young Fiona holds the cards and whilst she may be too invested in this emotional experience, she can at least see through it for what it is.
Best lyric: "So I'll be sure to stay wary of you love, to save the pain of once my flame and twice my burn!"

22. O'SAILOR

In this mid-tempo, Fiona shows considerable restraint whilst she reflects deeply on another relationship, whilst also showing an incredibly astute self-awareness towards her mental state. The song reaches a beautiful crescendo in it's final minute with beautiful chanted harmonies. 'O'Sailor' contains some of Fiona's most eye-opening lyrics, as she goes around in circles hoping for a conclusion.
Best lyric: "Everything I have to look forward to... has a pretty painful and very imposing before".

21. GET HIM BACK

Oh just you WAIT until she gets him back! Only, in this case Fiona isn't looking to re-establish the relationship, she's out for nothing but revenge. With a beautiful, wavy post chorus (my favourite part), Fiona connects the dots and re-lives some of her worst relationships. The plot twists in the final minute when Fiona decides that actually, she does want him back, only judging by the tone of her voice and the lyrical content - she's certainly not going to make life easy for anyone, especially herself.
Best lyric: "Oh he made my blood just burn, I flipped so far... I thought that I would not return!"

For anyone who may be unaware of some of Fiona's activities over the years, this makes a good read: https://www.spin.com/2020/04/fiona-apples-10-most-badass-moments/

In addition, Fiona is known for consistently donating royalties from her tracks to various charities and has been doing so for years. One of my favourite quotes from Fiona was when COVID kicked in and the world shut down, and she said "this is just normal life for me" :D

Now, as we enter the TOP 20, do expect more DETAIL per song, we're about to head into a masterpiece only zone!

20. SHAMEIKA
"Shameika said I had potential! Shameika said I had potential!"

Only Fiona, after a much exhausting absence, could include a song on her album in which she reflects about her experience of being bullied as a kid, and specifies the individual who helped her get out of it. And that person? Shameika Stepney, of course! In this incredibly percussive, organic and frenzied song, Fiona reflects on how Shameika got through to her but sadly, she'd never see her again. Guess what? She did see her again! The two ended up linking up after the release of FTBC, and Shameika released her own track (including for the sake and purpose of discussion around the journey of 'Shameika' - Shameika's own song, in which Fiona features, does not appear as part of this list).

Fiona was only happy to provide some vocals, and although we haven't heard from Shameika since, it's fair to say that through the power of music, the two are now great friends. Everyone needs a Shameika.
Best lyric: "Hurricane Gloria in excelsis deo! That's my burden my dream! My dog and my man and my music is my holy trinity!"

19. NEVER IS A PROMISE
"Never is a promise, and you can't afford to lie".

I'm not entirely sure why, but 'Never Is a Promise' is a song I always gravitate towards in winter. Whilst being, arguably, a very sad song, it also has a beautiful cocooning air of melancholy from start to end. Fiona delivers one of the purest vocals of her life in the chorus, with her voice shifting shape into a very fragile head voice. Fiona's sorrow can be felt from start to end as she establishes the bitter disappointment of dealing with a person who, whilst promising the world, simply cannot keep to their word. A cinematic, devastating and timeless ballad with all the qualities needed to absolutely cement itself as a Fiona Apple classic.
Best lyric: "But as the scenery grows, I see in different lights. The shades and shadows undulate my perception. My feelings swell and stretch, I see from greater heights. I realise what I am now too smart to mention... to you".

18. LADIES
"Ladies, ladies, ladies, ladies, take it easy - when he leaves me. Please be my guest".

'Ladies' is a fantastic song about womanhood, and features vocals from Fiona's sister Maude, who is also an excellent musician. When shit goes down and relationships crumble, Fiona is quite to observe and comment on how women are quick to blame other women. In conversation on the track, she went back to recall how her grandmother used to talk about her grandfather having a mistress, and even after decades of marriage, would consistently direct her anger towards the mistress. Fiona stands her ground on ladies - if he cheats, it's his fault, not hers. The track itself has a bit of a woozy quality and some epic vocals from Fiona, ultimately coming out triumphant as Fiona gazes into womanhood, choosing to stand with her sisters rather than against them.
Best lyric: "She was very kind, fruit bat! Cuter than a button, mutton-head maniac!"

17. VALENTINE
"You didn't see my valentine, I sent it via pantomime. While you were watchin' someone else - I stared at you and cut myself"

'Valentine' features an eerie production and some deep and dark lyrics (actually, some could say downright disturbing, depending on how much of an appetite you have for it). Fiona watches from afar, as others live their lives as freely as possible, feeling trapped in her own skin, in a desperate cycle of mistakes and wishing to escape. She's happy for them, or at least she's convincing herself she is, but her manner tells a different story. Fiona launches into a frenzy in the chorus, with an extremely pointed attack featuring the word "you" being repeated TWENTY-FIVE times. The piano creates an unnerving undercurrent as Fiona gets her point across, remaining the damaged star of the show who seasoned every plate at the dinner date with her teardrops.
Best lyric: "I'm a tulip in a cup, I stand no chance of growing up. I'm resigned to sail on through, in the wake of tales of you!"

16. A MISTAKE
"I've acquired quite a taste, for a well-made mistake, I wanna make a mistake, why can't I make a mistake?!"

Although arguably not one of her more complex songs, 'A Mistake' deserves a high placing here for just how badass and cool it is. The production on this particular track shimmers from start to end, to my ears with an almost beachy, psychedelic vibe. Fiona goes against all the rules by exclaiming she can only unpave her path by doing exactly what she wants - which of course, includes making sure she fucks up as much as possible. She does show SOME humility by confirming she DOES want to do good, but quite frankly - cannot, and will not be following instructions. Interestingly, it didn't quite stop here... the theme of 'A Mistake' presents itself in much of Fiona's work. With killer lyrics and a full bodied instrumentation throughout, 'A Mistake' is an accessible Fiona classic.
Best lyric: "'Cause I'm full as a tick, and I'm scratching at the surface, and what I find is mine"

15. REGRET
"'Member when we argued on the concept of regret? You were an expert even then but not me, not yet..."
DISCLAIMER: If you are fairly new to Fiona's music, or you simply haven't done much exploration, I don't advise listening to 'Regret' at the beginning of your journey. This is a very overwhelming song.

A haunting, almost creepy masterpiece, Fiona takes on the topic of regret (which she concludes is something she was taught by her lover), whilst also taking the listener through an extremely emotional journey. By the time the chorus comes in, the usually pitch perfect Fiona is wailing like a banshee, absolutely desperate to release what can only be described as the most visceral pain. I can remember listening to this song upon release, and even as a superfan, I couldn't work out what my emotional response was. Am I disturbed? amazed? relieved? By the end of the song, Fiona resigns herself to almost nothing, gently weeping "leave me alone, leave me alone, leave me alone, leave me alone". Even when the song finishes, it continues to fill the air for quite some time, having such a presence and impact, and that's from a sonic experience. Once you start exploring the lyrics? Wow...
Best lyric: "Now when you look at me, you're condemned to see, the monster your mother made you to be. There you got me, that's how you got free - you got rid of me".

14. LIMP
"It won't be long 'til you'll be lying limp in your own hands!"

'Limp' is a rockier-leaning track, with a bit of funk to accompany it, which was a superbly fleshed out sound in general for 'When The Pawn', and gave her an edgier evolution from her debut. I would absolutely argue 'Limp' is a highlight from said album, with Fiona exploring 50 shades of anger before emerging victorious with the ultimate trump card, as delivered in the above lyric. WHAT A THING TO SAY! The middle 8 includes some absolutely amazing drumming, with Fiona on standby, letting the music do her bidding before launching into her final attack. 'Limp' is just so juicy and so so easy to love.
Best lyric: "You fondle my trigger then you blame my gun".

13. EXTRAORDINARY MACHINE
"Be kind to me, or treat me mean - I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine".

'Extraordinary Machine' is absolutely nothing short of show-stopping storytelling genius. The opening track to the album of the same name, only Fiona could return after a 6 year absence with the remarkable line "I certainly haven't been shopping for any new shoes... And! I certainly haven't been spreading myself around". In an assertive act, Fiona makes the listener aware of one very important point - no matter what gets thrown at her, she will take it on and given a chance, will turn it into art. The production on this one is very quirky and unusual, with influences from Baroque and Jazz coming together to give the song a superb sound, and one that, in all honesty... is pretty unique to the song itself. A hugely memorable Fiona moment.
Best lyric: "I seem to you to seek a new disaster every day. You deem me due to clean my view and be at peace and lay".

12. COSMONAUTS
"You and I will be like a couple of cosmonauts, except with way more gravity than when we started off".

'Cosmonauts' is an essential FTBC moment, and to my ear feels like an absolute triumphant frenzy of multiple genres! It has an alt-rock vibe, but also has some dream pop influences in the mix to give it some lift. 'Cosmonauts', is a rare love song from Fiona, although she does deliver it with a twist that you wouldn't hear in a typical Pop song. In addition, we're also treated some operatic background vocals which give the song an ethereal feel, and also stand as a testament to how strong Fiona's voice is, even in the current landscape. Ultmately, 'Cosmonauts' flows and builds at various different decibles with the intensity ramping up to x100 at the end as Fiona screams "STARTED OFF, STARTED OFF, STARTED STARTED!", before bringing us down to nothing more than a whisper. As usual, nothing short of magnificent.
Best lyric: "There's no time to interrupt the detonation - be good to me before you're gone!"

11. CRIMINAL
"All I need is a good defence, 'cause I'm feeling like a criminal".

I've made an observation about Fiona Apple fans. I don't know why, but for some reason many like to look past 'Criminal'. I guess maybe it just doesn't have that hipster edge, but at the end of the day it's an enduring classic and yes it may be her only real major chart hit, but one must remember that a teenage Fiona Apple wrote this song in 45 minutes as per the request of her record label. That's right - this iconic masterpiece was born after 45 minutes of writing-time. Lyrically, Fiona casts herself as the criminal in the relationship, suggesting she has indeed been a bad bad girl. All whilst using her sexuality to command everything she needs, but most importantly - power. 'Criminal' is also immortalised in arguably one of the most iconic music videos of all time. Is it her best track? Well, perhaps not - but it's certainly too important to be anywhere near the bottom of the list. 'Criminal' is an absolutely quintessential alt-female classic, and that it will remain.
Best lyric: "I've got to make a play! To make my lover stay! What would an angel say, the devil wants to know?!"

10. FAST AS YOU CAN
"Fast as you can, baby, run free yourself of me!"

We are down to TEN SONGS! And starting is off is the glorious and ever-charming 'Fast As You Can' which Fiona puts herself on a self-inflicted rollercoaster of emotions, giving her lover a very stern warning - this woman is not to be messed with, and unless they are willing to allow the carnage and heartbreak to ensue, it really is best to get up, get out and leave! Production wise, 'Fast As You Can' remains brilliant, it's absolutely quintessentially alt-90s, and even in spite of the direct ant often antagonising lyrics, it's far from Fiona's angriest. The tempo shifts throughout, with Fiona's more reflective lyrics taking place when the track slows down, giving the listener a chance to breathe. Afterall, why does she need anger this time around? She is confident, in control, and only wishes to serve a very stark but serious warning. Free yourself!
Best lyric: "Yeah I'll be your pet, if you just tell me it's a gift. I'm tired of why's, choking on why's, just need a little because, because".

9. PAPER BAG
"I thought it was a bird but it was just a paper bag".

A charming mid-tempo with some great pop sensibilities. Fantastic lyrics, a great hook, and ultimately a memorable Fiona Apple performance from start to end. 'Paper Bag' has become one of her better known tracks, doing the rounds on adverts and being used in films, but I can totally understand why - it's without a shadow of a doubt a perfect song. Fiona handles the love-sick lyrics with an extremely controlled and potent vocal, giving just enough emotion that the song truly requires, being careful to not overdo it. 'Paper Bag' is certainly one of Fiona's most easy-listening tracks, and has appeal outside of her fanbase, but we're just happy to share the love, as this song continues to charm and put listeners in a spell.
Best lyric: "Hunger hurts but starving works, when it costs too much to love".

8. UNDER THE TABLE
"Kick me under the table all you want - I won't shut up".

'Under The Table' is about as classic Fiona as it gets from her most recent material, in my opinion. It has the formula needed - defiant and deeply reflective lyrics, with a deeply intense crescendo in the form of "I WOULD BEG TO DISAGREE BUT BEGGING DISAGREES WITH ME!", that particular line can be heard throughout the song, either at the forefront or in a background vocal, leading one to assume that this is the main message coming from the song. However, 'Under The Table' has killer lyrics dotted throughout it, giving the impression that this is a woman who has, quite simply, had enough. Fiona's defiance here, however, feels different than it did in previous releases. Her defiance is not a particularly angry, or shaky one - she holds herself firmly. One of the best vocals of her career, we get a real pendulum that swings from guttural passion to calm and measured. 'Under The Table' is, quite frankly, the perfect song to blast at high volume when you've just about HAD IT.
Best lyric: "I'd like to buy you a pair of pillow-soled hiking boots, to help you with your climb. Or rather, to help the bodies that you step over along your route, so they won't HURT LIKE MINE".

7. HOT KNIFE
"If I'm butter, If I'm butter... If I'm butter then he's a hot knife".

Without a shadow of a doubt the most joyful and deeply hypnotic song Fiona Apple has ever put her name to. Everytime I listen to 'Hot Knife' I mentally prepare myself as I know I'm going to enter an absolute trance within my inner world. I could absolutely listen to it over and over and especially if I need something to energise me, 'Hot Knife' is the perfect candidate. 'Hot Knife' is a song that addresses the excitement of lust and features multi-layered vocals, and if you're hearing someone who doesn't QUITE sound like Fiona - that's because her sister Maude features (to my ear, Maude is singing the high harmony, with Fiona singing the low harmony, but it's so intricate I could be wrong). Throughout the song, Fiona and Maude are assisted by a timpani drum which provides the dark rumbling beneath them. As the song moves further and further into it's playtime, the sisters ascend to pure euphoria as they work up a storm unleashing incredibly energy. Is it perfect? You bet it is.
Best lyric: "He makes my heart a CinemaScope screen, showing the dancing bird of paradise"

6. ANYTHING WE WANT
"And then... we can... do anything we want!"

'Anything We Want' is another song filled with utter joy, and features a wide selection of instruments, including a marimba! 'Anything We Want' shows Fiona looking back on her childhood, reflecting back to the feeling of being a child whilst also celebrating how empowering and beautiful it can feel to be IN love. To love love and nothing else! I wouldn't have considered 'Anything We Want' to be a song that would place so high on a Fiona list some years ago, but the fact of the matter is, it's absolutely so deliciously playable and also contains some of her most poetic and endearing lyrics. 'Anything We Want' served as some relief, particularly in contrast to some of the heavier songs on 'The Idler Wheel...' and gives us a closer glimpse of Fiona when she has one specific intention: to be playful. 'Anything We Want' is an absolute charmer from start to finish and I'd absolutely recommend it as a gateway to more Fiona!
Best lyric: "My scars were reflecting the mist in your headlight. I look like a neon Zebra, shaking rain off her stripe".

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Aside from the number 1 which was an immediate decision, It was utter AGONY deciding the rest, but... I stand by ALL OF IT!

5. HEAVY BALLOON
"People like us we play with a heavy balloon, we keep it up to keep the devil at bay but it always falls way too soon".

'Heavy Balloon' is very much as the title suggests: heavy. Fiona sings about the despair of depresson on this masterpiece and in my opinion, the easy highlight of 'Fetch the Bolt Cutters'. For anyone who has ever suffered from depression, 'Heavy Balloon' almost feels like a familiar friend. The way Fiona frames the heaviness, the ache, and the soul destroying pendulum between hopelessness and hopefulness is, well, very Fiona. Fiona's voice is very raw here, with a lot of gravel added to the already significant weight of her dark and low voice. What makes 'Heavy Balloon' really stand out and shine, is first of all the nature of the production, not to mention the fact the song is a one-take live recording with organic and interesting instrumentation throughout as well as a beautifully addictive guitar riff. What we're left with really, is Fiona at her best - open, raw and with the determination and grit that she always has, giving her the energy required to carry on, no matter what.
Best lyric: "I spread like strawberries! I climb like peas and beans! I've been sucking it in so long, that I'm busting at the seams!"

4. I KNOW
"But all the time, all the time, I'll know, I'll know"

'I Know' is the massively apt and ground-breaking closing track from 'When The Pawn...' and is, to many, Fiona's most heart-breaking ballad. On a particularly sensitive day, 'I Know' is a song that could reduce even the toughest cookie to pieces. I had to get the kleenex out whilst listening to it today, and analysing it for this countdown. The song itself is a fairly simple piano ballad, although it does have a cinematic quality, flowing seamlessly but growing in weight as it reaches it's final minute. Fiona sings of her ache of unrequired love, suggesting she may well be 'the other woman' as she tenderly reminds her love interest that she is aware of his deepest darkest secrets, and accepts him for how he is, ultimately resigning herself in the hope that he may love her back. As the chorus gently sweeps in, Fiona switches to a breathy and incredibly intimate head voice as she tenderly sings "you can use my skin, to bury secrets in..." before descending to the lower extremes of her range for the haunting but reassuring "...and I will settle you down". Fiona allows her voice to crack around the 3:59 mark, as the emotion intensifies, knowing that this lullaby is one that is ultimately only going to end badly. Before closing the door, Fiona breathes "It's okay, don't need to say it" after hoping the significant person may love her after all. Without a shadow of a doubt one of the most devastating and poignant songs I've ever heard in my life.
Best lyric: "And when the crowd becomes your burden, and you've early closed your curtain - I'll wait back the backstage door".

3. SULLEN GIRL
"It's calm, under the waves... in the blue of my oblivion"

From the outside looking in, 'Sullen Girl' feels like a fairly depressing break-up song. However, and important to note for anybody who may not be aware of this, the song actually documents a very significantly traumatic event in Fiona's life. In 1989, at the age of 12, Fiona was sexually assaulted on her way home from school. As a way of coping with the trauma, she wrote 'Sullen Girl' and used the song to talk about the experience, in the hope she would begin to desensitise as a result. Whilst Fiona does reference abuse and assault in a few songs, 'Sullen Girl' is the only song that is extremely literal in her own experience. An aching and incredibly masterful ballad, 'Sullen Girl' does indeed have an incredibly floaty quality to it, perhaps to reflect back the hook "It's calm, under the waves... in the blue of my oblivion", what is apparent though, to great surprise, is that there is a sense of hopefulness buried deep within the song. The final minute of the song is just the most absolutely breath-taking instrumentation, allowing for some final impact which is quite unusual for Fiona, she is generally a fairly wordy singer, with lots of puns and clever observations, but with 'Sullen Girl' less absolutely does become more. An incredibly courageous masterpiece from the teenage Fiona.
Most powerful lyric: "They don't know I used to sail the deep and tranquil sea... But he washed me 'shore and he took my pearl, and left an empty shell of me".

2. WEREWOLF
"I could liken you to a werewolf the way you left me for dead... but I admit, that I provided a full moon".

Fiona goes to town on 'Werewolf' a track that closely documents what happens when two people who really aren't made for each other, somehow try to convince themselves that they are. A piano-percussive track, Fiona slam dunks as many metaphors as possible to paint a very clear picture of this very, very, very toxic situation. A wishing well and a bolt of electricity? We can support each other as long as we avoid each other? 'Werewolf' has all the traits of an absolute Fiona classic - it's an incredibly catching song which somehow thrives within a very tense environment, and finally at around the 2:10 mark, screams can be heard. Fiona took her tape recorder out and recorded the sounds of excited, screaming children playing in a school near to her home (which sounds so horrendously weird, but actually makes the song SO so good). Whilst I would argue many of Fiona's songs are dark, I mean, probably at least 50% of them, 'Werewolf' is the one song that I'd actually argue is straight up gothic. It's just so enduring and clever, with just enough mystique to truly pull the listener in. Nothing wrong when a song ends in a minor key.
Best lyric: "The lava of a volcano! Shot up hot from under the sea! One thing leads to another... and you made an island of me".

1. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT

Every single night
I endure the flight
Of little wings of white-flamed
Butterflies in my brain
These ideas of mine
Percolate the mind
Trickle down the spine
Swarm the belly, swelling to a blaze
That's where the pain comes in
Like a second skeleton
Trying to fit beneath the skin
I can't fit the feelings in
Every single night's alight with my brain
What'd I say to her?
Why'd I say to her?
What does she think of me?
That I'm not what I ought to be
That I'm what I try not to be
It's got to be somebody else's fault
I can't get caught
If what I am is what I am, 'cause I does what I does
Then brother, get back, 'cause my breast's gonna bust open
The rib is the shell and the heart is the yolk
I just made a meal for us both to choke on
Every single night's a fight with my brain
I just want to feel everything
So I'm gonna try to be still now
Gonna renounce the mill a little while and
If we had a double-king-sized bed
We could move in it and I'd soon forget
That what I am is what I am 'cause I does what I does
And maybe I'd relax, let my breast just bust open
My heart's made of parts of all that surround me
And that's why the devil just can't get around me
Every single night's alright, every single night's a fight
And every single fight's alright with my brain

There are so many words I could use to describe 'Every Single Night', and I could quite literally spend every single night doing it, but lets cut to the facts. Fiona emerged in 2012 with 'Every Single Night' serving as the lead single to 'The Idler Wheel...' the song exists for one very specific reason: to give you, the listener an insight into how Fiona Apple thinks and experiences the world around her. Anxiety, confusion, paranoia, distress. It's all here. Instrumentally, 'Every Single Night' has a witchy, chanty chorus which gives the song some relief, but aside from this, it's a fairly suffocating and claustrophobic experience which will either have the listener nodding in validating relief, or turning away to never return. Ultimately, as an artist who is often tortured and empowered, Fiona wears her contradictions profoundly and uses her voice to emote this discerning, harrowing experience. Lyrically, it's nothing short of an absolute work of art, and as the song takes its final form, with Fiona insisting she just wants to feel everything, a sole key fills the room at 3:12, becoming undetectable 10 seconds later and symbolising something very special - Fiona Apple's single greatest moment and quite possibly one of the greatest songs of all time.

And on that note I'll see you all in 2033 for an update on this list when the next album drops! :D

If "I just want to feel everything" isn't Fiona Apple's mission statement I don't know what is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom