I went on a long run to Hard Candy and MDNA on Sunday

Suedehead

I Will Survive
And no.. they’re no better than they were over ten years ago and they’re still her two worst albums

Sorry this topic is not quite delivering Straw energy even though I did try

I’d rather listen to them than Madam x.. but I attribute that mostly to the vox.

I'm playing Rebel Heart on vinyl this morning and I still maintain there's a brilliant 10 track album hiding amongst the ridiculous amount of tracks and formats.

Yes, definitely there’s a good album within Rebel Heart, the problem is she can’t really win as if she does quality control but I know she’s recorded 20+ tracks then I want them all.

I'm playing Rebel Heart on vinyl this morning and I still maintain there's a brilliant 10 track album hiding amongst the ridiculous amount of tracks and formats.
Yes and parts of MDNA could have made a cute 6-track EP (Super Bowels special edition EP)

Yes, definitely there’s a good album within Rebel Heart, the problem is she can’t really win as if she does quality control but I know she’s recorded 20+ tracks then I want them all.
Ordinarily I'd agree but I would say there is a strong argument to be made that no one ever really needed to hear 'BDay Song' or 'Autotune Baby' (amongst others).

I disagree with that entirely. Release a 10 track album, save the rest for a deluxe edition years down the line or for bonuses somewhere. Rebel Heart is a fucking mess because it's all over the place sonically, yes, but there's just too much content to make it a satisfying listen.

She had no issue previously with keeping the (probably good) outtakes from the old days in the vaults- she didn't even really give us b-sides.

Ordinarily I'd agree but I would say there is a strong argument to be made that no one ever really needed to hear 'BDay Song' or 'Autotune Baby' (amongst others).

I was about to bring that up and you posted it! More about Autotune Baby for me, though both are rotten. Autotune Baby is just bizarre- it should never have been on an album release EVER. It's APPALLING.

I would argue that some of the songwriting on Rebel Heart is amongst her best. Of course it was a 'songwriting camp' album and we know her involvement and overall artistic direction of the project was nowhere near as optimal as it could have been (and that's ignoring the leaks as well.) Even some of her vocals are actually pretty good.

I can see why she released all the stuff due to the leaks though. It was a damned if you do damned if you don't situation when the entire world already had most of the songs in different versions anyway.

Anyway, back to the topic, yes, MDNA and Hard Candy are her worst two albums. I might actually put them on for a laugh- it's BEEN A WHILE.

I was about to bring that up and you posted it! More about Autotune Baby for me, though both are rotten. Autotune Baby is just bizarre- it should never have been on an album release EVER. It's APPALLING.
I mean ... FAIR ENOUGH if it was just her and Diplo messing about in the studio... but did they really have to subject the world to it and actually commit the whole thing to TAPE?!

Anyway, back to the topic, yes, MDNA and Hard Candy are her worst two albums. I might actually put them on for a laugh- it's BEEN A WHILE.
MDNA went down better than Hard Candy for what it's worth.
I'm planning a Mylene 'rediscovery' double bill for my long Sunday run this weekend. Possible Monkey Me (:D ) and Desobeissance.

I would argue that some of the songwriting on Rebel Heart is amongst her best. Of course it was a 'songwriting camp' album and we know her involvement and overall artistic direction of the project was nowhere near as optimal as it could have been (and that's ignoring the leaks as well.) Even some of her vocals are actually pretty good.

WHOOOAH, let's not go TOO FAR, LOVE.

For me, this tracklisting:

1. Rebel Heart
2. Living For Love
3. Ghosttown
4. Devil Pray
5. Hold Tight
6. Iconic
7. Joan of Arc
8. Heartbreak City
9. Addicted
10.Unapologetic Bitch
11.Wash All Over Me

...is a great little album. Not up there with her best, but it's certainly a massive step up from the preceding two albums. And yes, the leaks fucked her up, but in what world do you relegate the title track of your new album to a bonus track on a deluxe edition?

IT'S JUST ODD!

I mean ... FAIR ENOUGH if it was just her and Diplo messing about in the studio... but did they really have to subject the world to it and actually commit the whole thing to TAPE?!

But even if they do, throw it out as a nonsense B-SIDE or something. The same for Bitch, I'm Madonna as well.

Hmmm - I'd say:

1. Rebel Heart (Avicii demo)
2. Hold Tight
3. Iconic
4. Devil Pray
5. Ghosttown
6. Joan Of Arc
7. Nothing Lasts Forever
8. Addicted
9. Heartbreak City
10. Messiah
11. Wash All Over Me

iTunes Bonus Track
12. Heaven

I HATE Living For Love with a passion :D

I love how you say shit like this and AS IF YOU DO :D

Living For Love annoys me because she really stood a chance with that lead single of having a reasonably sized hit- good video, live performances (even with the bad publicity around the Brits) etc. It was just too weak for a lead single. I still think it's one of the better songs on the album, but it is 4th single material at best.

Ghosttown should have led, without a doubt.

Release the Avicii demos officially you cowards.

Devil Pray, Rebel Heart and Wash All Over Me are particularly DELICIOUS.

And no.. they’re no better than they were over ten years ago and they’re still her two worst albums

Sorry this topic is not quite delivering Straw energy even though I did try
Jesus Christ, why choose to set the day off in the WORST WAY IMAGINABLE

HELLO? Is that the SELF-HARM POLICE?

They might not be Madonna's best, but they're still streets ahead of what gets in the top ten these days

To be fair they were both UK No. 1 albums
So that's got to count for something.
Or not.

Actually was MDNA no. 1 I can't remember..

I’m up relatively early and dancing nude at the window to REVOLVER :disco:

548B68AA-8C0E-478A-85D2-C4AAB16AE94C.gif

I don’t have a gun so I’m using a toilet brush for sexy effect :horny:

I still do not know why Devil Pray was not a single. it was bang on trend, it's hot, it's catchy, she sounds good... a rare MOMENT of what could've been among latter-day M

I still do not know why Devil Pray was not a single. it was bang on trend, it's hot, it's catchy, she sounds good... a rare MOMENT of what could've been among latter-day M
It must have been MOOTED at some point because Queen perfed it (flawlessly I might add) on an Italian TV show

Annoyingly not on YouTube

And yes maybe we should SPLIT this topic because it's clearly moving into a REBEL HEART appreciation thread (and I am FOR it :disco: )

How ARE all those signed editions of the STEPS ALBUM rotting by the way? :tongueout:
:D Oh I blame my engagement with internet-generated hysteria for THAT along with a multitude of other pointless purchases

I think I’ve got one never-played signed CD left (either Claire or Faye) :)

Not that she is exactly TOP OF THE AIRPLAY LISTS as it is, but surely she wouldn't have stood a chance with those lyrics about doing drugs and whiskey and acid...

as if any of that is taboo in pop music for a good 15+ years? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom