I woke up this morning and chose 'Bedtime Stories.'

I actually got the Bettina Rheims coffee table book for Christmas and it contains several shots from that shoot in lovely glossy double page spreads. :disco: did it loosely inspire the aesthetic of the Hollywood video?

As for the music videos - well, what can I say. Name one album campaign with four more iconic videos. I dare you. And no, I don't mind 4 iconic videos out of 7 singles from one album. I mean 4/4 as a hit rate - 100% iconography. I doubt you would. I really do.

Sidebar: I also loved the HN artwork and whorish photoshoot with Bettina whatshername - which I thought was a perfect 'counterpart' to the more classy/subdued album artwork whilst capturing the ethos of the era.

Human_Nature_Madonna.png

They should have used this as the artwork:

1704894124454.png

Genuinely one of the most AWFUL things I've ever seen...but obviously lead to THIS:

1704894161838.png

I actually got the Bettina Rheims coffee table book for Christmas and it contains several shots from that shoot in lovely glossy double page spreads. :disco: did it loosely inspire the aesthetic of the Hollywood video?
No - the Hollywood aesthetic was 'inspired' by Guy Bourdin's photography.

Well, she was sued for plagiarism by his children over it. But it was settled quietly out of court I believe. However, let's not go there. đź’…

And the 'Secret' SANGLE cover was also magnificent

s-l1200.webp

The blue/pink BS motif was trans rights!!1!one!!!!!

AWFUL!

She looks rough, the grainy out of focus photo...very much THIS WILL DO.

I also thought it didn't really feature with the supposed image softening- SITTING AROUND IN YOUR BRA.

AWFUL!

She looks rough, the grainy out of focus photo...very much THIS WILL DO.

I also thought it didn't really feature with the supposed image softening- SITTING AROUND IN YOUR BRA.
I hated it at the time for those PRECISE reasons you mention, but now I look at it and love it. To be honest though, she's never been one for magnificent SANGLE covers.

As for the music videos - well, what can I say. Name one album campaign with four more iconic videos. I dare you. And no, I don't mind 4 iconic videos out of 7 singles from one album. I mean 4/4 as a hit rate - 100% iconography. I doubt you would. I really do.
:D

god forbid somebody only produce four iconic videos out of seven.

I've never felt the Secret cover either. She looks too slumped.

Anyway

Rhythm of Love and Rhythm Nation 1814 all had 100% iconic strike rate videos.

And that's before we even consider our FRENCH QUEEN that I mentioned earlier.

Sidebar: I also loved the HN artwork and whorish photoshoot with Bettina whatshername - which I thought was a perfect 'counterpart' to the more classy/subdued album artwork whilst capturing the ethos of the era.

Human_Nature_Madonna.png

That’s one of my favourite single covers from her.

However I hate that her single covers aren’t always consistent with the album cover. (She did better with Music and Confessions)

That’s one of my favourite single covers from her.

However I hate that her single covers aren’t always consistent with the album cover. (She did better with Music and Confessions)

Ooh that's an interesting point but the Music and Confessions ones feel BORING cause they're just all from the same shoot.

Same font etc. for consistency but mix the shots up.

I really don't think she cares so much about SANGLE covers. I think the interns handle that. She gets involved with the ALBAM artwork tho.

Ooh that's an interesting point but the Music and Confessions ones feel BORING cause they're just all from the same shoot.

Same font etc. for consistency but mix the shots up.

I like that they keep the same theme. They could have been better though.

The Bedtime Stories and Erotica singles all have really nice covers but they have nothing in common with each other or the parent album (aside from the lead single).

I've never felt the Secret cover either. She looks too slumped.
I like it.. she appears languid, forlorn, wanton.
I don't know. I just feel drawn to it on this day in 2024.
Ask me again in two hours and I'll hate it probably.

I like that they keep the same theme. They could have been better though.

The Bedtime Stories and Erotica singles all have really nice covers but they have nothing in common with each other or the parent album (aside from the lead single).

The Erotica artwork was interesting though- the Erotica single followed the album but was a cheap video grab, but it worked being grainy and dark. With Deeper and Deeper they were clearly trying to save face and move away from that imagery but they had nothing else to follow it with- Bad Girl came from the Sex sessions and the Fever/ Rain covers were cheap video grabs again.

The Erotica artwork was interesting though- the Erotica single followed the album but was a cheap video grab, but it worked being grainy and dark. With Deeper and Deeper they were clearly trying to save face and move away from that imagery but they had nothing else to follow it with- Bad Girl came from the Sex sessions and the Fever/ Rain covers were cheap video grabs again.

Hmm my Rain cover is from a photo shoot.

The video? Mais non! That single shot of her walking down Harlem and giving the camera those sexy as fuck eyes destroys entire careers! :disco:

It wasn't enough of an event video for a first single from a new Madonna album. It's the weakest of the four by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom