I woke up this morning and chose 'Bedtime Stories.'

Although I think perhaps the Fever single tops it for SHEER "this will do" awfulness:

1704895193992.png

Pick your WINNER/LOSER (not all versions represented, OBVIOUSLY):

1704895462478.png

Winners: Justify My Love and Into The Groove (sorry had to pick two!)
Loser: Hey POO!

OK interns, what picture shall we choose for her most introspective and raw song about her tumultuous relationship with her father and indeed, religious and patriarchal figures?
Oh I KNOW, here's one of her looking SAUCY and let's add the NEGATIVE image for extra impact! :disco:

I did like the CASSETTE single cover but it still could have been better...

oh-father-cassette-single-550.png

The American Life artwork always annoyed me, basically being a REHASH of the album, but looking at all those covers together, it was a PRETTY BAD TIME ALL ROUND.

The American Life artwork always annoyed me, basically being a REHASH of the album, but looking at all those covers together, it was a PRETTY BAD TIME ALL ROUND.
Yeah even the album artwork. I think the CONCEPT was good but it just wasn't that well executed.

I did like the CASSETTE single cover but it still could have been better...

oh-father-cassette-single-550.png

Yeah, better. But it says something that the (eventual) UK issue scrapped all of the original imagery...

1704896093429.png

Still a baffling single choice all these years on, to be fair.

And it DESERVED EVEN LESS

I disagree. I love that US single mix and we wouldn't have gotten it without it being released. And I quite like the video, for what it is- she looks gorgeous.

But yeah, it didn't NEED to be a single, to be fair.

The RoL era single covers are unbeatable. gorge across the board!

they really DON'T do art direction like that anymore. artwork has become so sloppy these days.

So weird and I still don't get it.

I always wondered if it was a "US- Christmas- Ballad" thing and they decided Dear Jessie was too twee (let's face it, it verges on a novelty single, which the UK Christmas market was so much more ready for). I still think "Pray For Spanish Eyes" would have been a better choice if that was the case, though.

Otherwise, it really should have just been Keep It Together.

I always wondered if it was a "US- Christmas- Ballad" thing and they decided Dear Jessie was too twee (let's face it, it verges on a novelty single, which the UK Christmas market was so much more ready for). I still think "Pray For Spanish Eyes" would have been a better choice if that was the case, though.

Otherwise, it really should have just been Keep It Together.

Having said that, in that case, would we have gotten Vogue? They surely only began writing that to add something to the KIT single because Oh Father wasn't a hit...

I disagree. I love that US single mix and we wouldn't have gotten it without it being released. And I quite like the video, for what it is- she looks gorgeous.

But yeah, it didn't NEED to be a single, to be fair.
I hate it. For the longest time my least favourite thing she did

The RoL era single covers are unbeatable. gorge across the board!

they really DON'T do art direction like that anymore. artwork has become so sloppy these days.

To be fair, most of ROL was just recycled from other things/ shoots, but yes, it was executed well. Though I'm not that fond of the Power of Goodbye ones really.

And let's not even get started on the mostly wonderful JAPANESE artwork. Including the Japan only 1985 release of Love Don't Live Here Anymore:

1704896545334.png

Also, does anyone (@Suedehead ) know why her French covers for True Blue were all SLIGHTLY different for no real apparent reason? The imagery was the same but they fiddled about with the word positoning on every single one of them and never worked out why... (see the above grid for comparison for the "standard" versions). I think it was pretty much only for the True Blue singles and all 5 of them, but no idea why...

1704896878137.png
1704896890715.png

1704896774162.png
1704896800949.png

1704896916312.png

Actually, it extends from the end of the Like a Virgin campaign as Dress You Up and Into The Groove had it as well:

1704897157999.png
1704897077684.png

The Open Your Heart single cover is great actually, and the image on the back was brilliant too with her head back and the scintillating nipple tassel :disco:
Also, does anyone (@Suedehead ) know why her French covers for True Blue were all SLIGHTLY different for no real apparent reason? The imagery was the same but they fiddled about with the word positoning on every single one of them and never worked out why... (see the above grid for comparison for the "standard" versions). I think it was pretty much only for the True Blue singles and all 5 of them, but no idea why...

View attachment 23627View attachment 23628

View attachment 23625View attachment 23626
View attachment 23629
no idea and would love to know!!

View attachment 23627View attachment 23628

View attachment 23625View attachment 23626
View attachment 23629

They knew they would be valuable to collect a couple of decades later (or maybe they aren’t that valuable).

Anyway, not that we haven't done it a hundred times before, but...

09 Survival
10 Secret
09 I'd Rather Be Your Lover
07 Don't Stop
08 Inside Of Me
10 Human Nature
10 Forbidden Love
08 Love Tried To Welcome Me
11 Sanctuary
09 Bedtime Story
10 Take A Bow

They knew they would be valuable to collect a couple of decades later (or maybe they aren’t that valuable).

They aren't THAT valuable and by that point it wouldn't be the record company that made the money anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom