Israel's participation in Eurovision 2024

Kala

Call the police
Pronouns
He/Him

Israel’s participation in Eurovision 2024 looks to be on increasingly shaky ground as the campaign to get them disqualified from the contest steps up.

Word is out that some broadcasters have been thinking of withdrawing if Israel are allowed to participate in Malmö.

What do you think should/will happen?

Anyway, no, they won't.

The EBU had to be bounced into kicking Russia out in the face of near unanimity. Israel will be much more contentious, and any move to ban them will get pushback from the UK and Germany at an absolute minimum

There’s little to no chance Israel will be banned from Eurovision. As @Auld Lang Zen says, the UK and Germany, at the very least would not tolerate it and Israel’s own justification of its invasion of Gaza (a Hamas terror attack upon Israel itself) is probably grounds enough for the EBU to be able to differentiate from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Does Eurovision have a POLICY? They kicked out Russia but very obviously didn't want to. Have they ever kicked anyone else out for being warmongers?

Azerbaijan and Armenia are also at war, right? They haven't been kicked out.

And I guess they could have saved the UK much HUMILIATION if they'd kicked us out for invading Iraq and not let us back in until both Saddam Hussein and Daz Sampson had been neutralised.

Russia weren’t kicked out for simply being at war.

Anyway, are any core EBU countries even levelling sanctions on Israel? If no governments are levelling sanctions, there’s no reason why broadcasters would ask the EBU to do something.

Last edited:
Does Eurovision have a POLICY? They kicked out Russia but very obviously didn't want to. Have they ever kicked anyone else out for being warmongers?

Azerbaijan and Armenia are also at war, right? They haven't been kicked out.

And I guess they could have saved the UK much HUMILIATION if they'd kicked us out for invading Iraq and not let us back in until both Saddam Hussein and Daz Sampson had been neutralised.
Do they have a policy for anything? You don’t even get kicked out for trying to rig the vote these days.

They didn’t even do anything when one country’s secret police took citizens in for questioning their votes.

Word is out that some broadcasters have been thinking of withdrawing if Israel are allowed to participate in Malmö.
This feels like a PR stunt, if said broadcasters care for the Palestinian cause they can fundraise with telethons for humanitarian aid and put pressure on their respective governments to take in refugees for as long as the war keeps going.

I believe the best course of action for the EBU and Eurovision would be for Israel to voluntarily take a one-year break.

It will not be pleasant to be the Israeli representative in Malmö, as they will inevitably be seen as representing the government and bear the blunt of the hate. If the artist takes a stance for Gaza, they will also face a huge backlash back home.

In the best-case scenario, if Israel stays, there might be some obtrusive protest stunts. I don't want to think about the worst case. The likelihood of a terrorist attack is increasing every day.

I'm all up for the audience just going completely silent. Israel will need a whole song of youwannaseemedance and not just 1/3 of one if they want to win over a stadium full of easy to win over gays who couldn't hold a conversation on the topic for longer than a minute tops anyway.

And LOL at the correct assessment that Kala was drunk at 4pm.

I believe the best course of action for the EBU and Eurovision would be for Israel to voluntarily take a one-year break.

It will not be pleasant to be the Israeli representative in Malmö, as they will inevitably be seen as representing the government and bear the blunt of the hate. If the artist takes a stance for Gaza, they will also face a huge backlash back home.

In the best-case scenario, if Israel stays, there might be some obtrusive protest stunts. I don't want to think about the worst case. The likelihood of a terrorist attack is increasing every day.
I agree. But I won't be surprised if the decision isn't made until the last minute, i.e right at the HoD meeting in March.

Finding out that the French call the West Bank Cisjordanie is :disco: and I shall be using it from now on (and will also be calling Jordan Transjordan too)

They should be banned but there’s not a CHANCE they will.

It'd be quite nice if the fandom insisting that it's completely unconscionable for Israel to be permitted to take part could perhaps find at least a second - or even a fraction of the same energy - to say that Azerbaijan shouldn't be taking part either, having just starved into submission and ethnically cleansed the entire Armenian population of Nagorno-Karabakh from the territory for the best part of the last year.

Lord knows it wouldn't exactly be a terrible thing for us to set the line on participation to suspend nations for actions on the lines of Israel's over the course of the war, but it:d feel astonishingly perverse - and really, a bit telling - if Israel were booted out but Azerbaijan still allowed to continue, with barely a peep from the fambase. It certainly wouldn't speak to this being much about any particularly deeply-held moral principle on the ethics around all this, that's for sure.

Imagine going into it knowing how much you’re going to be hated

Can we not have this as the main Israel thread?

I agree. I've created a new thread with the following suggested approach. I'll be moderating both threads accordingly.

OK so here's what's going to happen. I've moved this into a new thread for the performer/song just like any other country. Obviously there are a lot of strong feelings about Israel's participation this year. My suggestion is that conversations about whether Israel may or may not / should or should not be participating at all be held in the other thread.

As for this one, people should choose for themselves whether or not they wish to acknowledge or engage with Israel's entry and any discussion around it, but keep wider political conversation out of it. I hope that's a fair solution.

Just to be clear, the tweet in question misinterpreted the article and has been deleted. Israel has not chosen its song yet but the EBU have asked for sight of it in advance of it being announced, which is standard practice these days.

The headline actually says that the song announcement has been “pushed back” rather than anything being rejected.

The amount of fake news that’s going around about Israel is ridiculous. Also, we have two threads for Israel at the moment, which has duplicate posts. Can we figure out a solution?

The amount of fake news that’s going around about Israel is ridiculous. Also, we have two threads for Israel at the moment, which has duplicate posts. Can we figure out a solution?
VoR has posted the rationale for this on post #27 here.

It's still all tabloid tittle-tattle, but it does seem like a withdrawal/disqualification (whichever way it ends up being spun) may be imminent, on the grounds of the EBU not allowing the lyrics to their song October Rain and the Israeli broadcaster refusing to change it. Let's see how this goes...

It's still all tabloid tittle-tattle, but it does seem like a withdrawal/disqualification (whichever way it ends up being spun) may be imminent, on the grounds of the EBU not allowing the lyrics to their song October Rain and the Israeli broadcaster refusing to change it. Let's see how this goes...
Probably the best option for all involved (although annoyingly it would make the semis 16 and 14 respectively rather than both 15 :oi:)

Oh right yes no you're right. Thank PISSLIPS that'd work out for once at least :disco:

Oh right yes no you're right. Thank PISSLIPS that'd work out for once at least :disco:
Yes they had requested to be in the second semi-final and the EBU conveniently decided to make that the bigger one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom