Jacinda Ardern & New Zealand Politics

Kate

mildly communist
I know she's been mentioned elsewhere, but I think Jacinda Ardern deserves a thread bump. She's already DENOUNCED capitalism :disco:

_114887494_gettyimages-1279582005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love her but it's a bit like if Yvette Cooper just did that :D

ā€œIf you have hundreds of thousands of children living in homes without enough to survive, thatā€™s a blatant failure. What else could you describe it as?ā€ Ms Ardern told TV3ā€™s The Nation.

ā€œWhen you have a market economy, it all comes down to whether or not you acknowledge where the market has failed and where intervention is required. Has it failed our people in recent times? Yes.

ā€œWages are not keeping up with inflation and how can you claim youā€™ve been successful when you have growth at roughly 3 per cent, but you have the worst homelessness in the developed world?ā€

Slayed, buried, resurrected

Obviously like everyone I like her, but I do keep thinking she's about to burst into "just like me, they long to be, close to you...."

Fair play to her, there's no shame in admitting when you are done. If only more leaders had that level of self-awareness.

Yeah Iā€™ve been thinking she would for a while. Sheā€™s faced more in the five years than most have to (Covid, our first terrorist attack, volcanic eruption), and now the tide is turning with NZ following the rest of the world and leaning a bit more right these days meaning she gets a hell of a rough time in the press etc, particularly because of her gender and age.

Shame though, it was nice to have a leader that actually made a hugely positive impact internationally given our size. But the locals are too backward/sheltered to appreciate that.

She'll probably be the only NZ leader I know.

Finland now has an interesting female leader, so I guess there's only room for so many is in the Western world.

Labour have been utterly appalling to be honest, she was the only good thing about them. Iā€™ve resorted to voting Green this time.

But absolutely disgusting to see Act now getting into a position of power. But the place has gone very much like the rest of our other peers and right wing is back in fashion :(

And the Australian Voice referendum (do we have a thread?) has crashed and burned horribly - looks like every state (bar ACT) has voted No. NSW and VA may end up at Yes but the whole thing has gone down in flames.

And the Australian Voice referendum (do we have a thread?) has crashed and burned horribly - looks like every state (bar ACT) has voted No. NSW and VA may end up at Yes but the whole thing has gone down in flames.

I don't understand why you'd ever put something like that to the public in the first place? Is Australia similar to Switzerland where they legally have to?

To make it clear though, whilst it is the right back in, it is worlds away from a Tory style leadership. Our main parties are all relatively centralist.

How it was done and ā€˜soldā€™ was (seems to be a theme down under) utterly dreadful, Iā€™m not surprised it got a No result.

NZ's National party really isn't "right". It's just right of Labour (I haven't spelt it with a "U" in years).

Also, I seem to remember the country's core policies really don't change much from party to party.

I was talking to my dad yesterday though and he was saying crime is getting more and more time attention in political debates.

To make it clear though, whilst it is the right back in, it is worlds away from a Tory style leadership. Our main parties are all relatively centralist.
Do you remember the Internet Mana party? lol Kim Dot Com was such a fucking troll.

NZ's National party really isn't "right". It's just right of Labour (I haven't spelt it with a "U" in years).

Also, I seem to remember the country's core policies really don't change much from party to party.

I was talking to my dad yesterday though and he was saying crime is getting more and more time attention in political debates.

They are all a bit more different now as Covid, cost of living, crime and housing have all become huge issues and resulted in a far more divided country than weā€™ve ever had before. Each party thus has different ideas on solving these issues.

There needed to be a change, but I am very sceptical National and ACT are going to unite people in any way, shape or form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom