Jark's Top 40 of 2022

top 3 cumming... #SOON

929514-cumming-on-her-tits.gif

any HOT PREDICTIONS?

I have belief that Jark will post these three and vanquish her decade long curse today x

Jark finishing his countdown or Ava getting a hit single from her "sending the vinyl out 5 months in advance is the promo" sophomore PROJECT.

What will happen first?

I don’t want @Jark to finish the countdown. It’s all about the edging

Jark's Top 40 singles of 2022: 03-01

03. Purple Disco Machine - In the Dark

of all the many subgenres of disco, one that I think has been underserved since disco became HOT AGAIN a few years back is "dark disco"—the kind that sounds like driving to a party at night with rain pouring down and a SCORE to SETTLE. think Lay All Your Love On Me, basically.

I think I've raved plenty about Purple Disco Machine at this point, and the way he's one of the best popstars we have, but after he nailed warm disco with the singles from Exotica it was a delicious pleasure when he dropped In the Dark for the re-release and basically said "oh, you want something with a bit more URGENCY? have it, hunty!".

I love this song, the way it DRIPS hysteria and makes "am I goin' under?" sound like both the end of the world and the start of a fucking good party. it's all in that driving beat and Sophie and the Giant's MELODRAMA DRENCHED VOCAL CHOPS. what a fucking tune.

02. Maggie Rogers - Want Want

my runner-up is one that I feel really did not get enough attention this year. for her 2nd single, Maggie Rogers really shed her folksy roots and fully embraced electronic pop (the mix of synthesized and live instruments really isn't something many people are doing, but they should). Want Want is the quintessential feel-good pop banger, the kind of song designed to OWN YOUR SUMMER and completely take over radio. and it did... one of those things.

best bits:
AND I WANT YOUU-OO-HOOOO! ... wompwomp, WANT ... and the amazing huge post-chorus that INSISTS you close your eyes and pretend you're on stage doing Maggie Rogers karaoke for a stadium full of MINDBLOWN POP STANS :disco: also, the vox throughout. really incredible stuff. get into it.

01. MUNA - Anything But Me

I think I knew from the first or second time I played this song it would be my SOTY. she's just that kind of girl (hehe). I love MUNA with all my heart and I'd been waiting for another straight-up, lyrically bittersweet but sonically feel-good anthem that channeled a bit of that Loudspeaker energy. and with Anything But Me, I got my little gay wish.

a moment as always for their top-tier lyricism:

and sure, it's not so black and white
sure, I'm gonna cry
for the love we couldn't keep
but I... would rather lose you
than who I'm MEANT TO BEEEEE!!!!!
:disco:

so you can have anything but...

the gag when you realise the middle 8 is the outro. and there's no final chorus. so you'll just have to play it again. barely a day goes by I don't play this song, and 250+ plays later its beauty and purity and exquisite construction still stun like the first time. so thanks, Katie and the gang. you did that.

looking back I don't think 2022 was as big for music as the previous couple of years. after some massive moments from Dua, Jessie and Aly & AJ, this year was a bit more low-key maybe? or a bit back-loaded with Taylor and Tove dropping the goods quite late on. there was so much REALLY GOOD STUFF though and some exciting new finds among the faves.

maybe the future nostalgia/what's your pleasure imperial ERA spoiled us.

the gag when you realise the middle 8 is the outro. and there's no final chorus. so you'll just have to play it again.
I really fucking hate it when songs do this. It seems to be more and more common now too.

Anyway these Muna songs had completely passed me by until last week. I know it’s a dreadful take but I think when I had seen their name pop up I’ve just assumed I’ll know what it’ll sound like and move on.

I forget of course that what it sounds like is pretty great. I think my favourite of this year’s batch is What I Want, but I see that in typical contrarian fashion, Jark hasn’t included it in his chart.

Anyway these Muna songs had completely passed me by until last week. I know it’s a dreadful take but I think when I had seen their name pop up I’ve just assumed I’ll know what it’ll sound like and move on.

I forget of course that what it sounds like is pretty great. I think my favourite of this year’s batch is What I Want, but I see that in typical contrarian fashion, Jark hasn’t included it in his chart.
I mean it's not that contrarian. it's good but there are at least four or five superior songs on the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom