Kate Bush Deep Cuts playlist sync

2. Never Be Mine
The Sensual World, 1989

"I want you as the dream, not the reality"

A wistful take on a life that might have been if you'd made different choices and a past relationship had worked out differently. "That clumsy goodbye-kiss could fool me, but looking back over my shoulder at you happy without me" - he's moved on with his life and she'll only ever be at the sidelines.

The lines "They're setting fire to the cornfields as you're taking me home. The smell of burning fields will now mean you and here" has always struck me as an evocative way to capture how a smell or taste can stick to a memory and they become intrinsically linked in your head.

1510572886257-Kate-Bush-by-Brian-Griffin.jpeg

Remembering how much I enjoy Never Be Mine now that my washing machine has come out of the spin cycle and I can hear it.

Oh my Never Be Mine is one of my all time faves. Absolutely heartbreaking. By Kate standards it's actually quite simple and conventional but the simplicity really pays off, the lyrics are crystal clear and even then there's still a LOT of detail going on in the background. Beautiful!

3. How To Be Invisible
Aerial, 2005

"You stand in front of a million doors and each one holds a million more"

Kate plays the 'reclusive' card with a wink to her absence from the public eye in the 12 years between The Red Shoes and Aerial. It's a spell to become invisible but it subverts the usual witches' potion tropes - "Eye of Braille, hem of anorak, stem of wallflower, hair of doormat".

images

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom