Post your favorite recipes

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
the sticky green bean recipe in this one

also

Not one for those on a health kick, but for those who want to give themselves over to the earthly pleasures of cheese and carbs in abundance, I can't recommend this highly enough:

I find sticking to recipes hard because I'm extremely over confident in my own cooking abilities, but I enjoy this Thai dish and I just remake the noodle sauce almost every time I make something along similar lines.

While I've never made it myself, I also like to return to the NYT recipe for maple shortbread that begins by musing on the attacks of September 11th.

A much less healthy option (but it tastes so fucking good)

I tried this two weeks ago and it ended up very tasty (the tomato sauce with pomegranate molasses and dried mint is amazing)

I find sticking to recipes hard because I'm extremely over confident in my own cooking abilities, but I enjoy this Thai dish and I just remake the noodle sauce almost every time I make something along similar lines.

While I've never made it myself, I also like to return to the NYT recipe for maple shortbread that begins by musing on the attacks of September 11th.

I usually fuck up recipes. Add too much of something or be impatient, the best food I make is when I’m not rushing.

The few times I’ve tried to cook rice noodles I’ve failed and so I never try. Stir fry isn’t something I know how to do.

An old Weight Watchers one sent to me once. It’s easy and delicious

86FE854B-1641-4216-9D66-6BAA239D1617.jpeg

I love pad see ew and wish I could be bothered to make those fresh, wide, chewy noodles myself as they're impossible to source here (and I don't feel the dried kind does quite the same)

Does anyone bake kanelbullars? I'm amazed I never made them (I think once ages ago, I can't even remember if it was exactly this) as I love them, but I'm gonna make some this very week, I hope they meet the expectations.

Does anyone bake kanelbullars? I'm amazed I never made them (I think once ages ago, I can't even remember if it was exactly this) as I love them, but I'm gonna make some this very week, I hope they meet the expectations.
it's been many years. make sure not to skimp on the filling :horny:

My quick pork chops recipe (20 mins cooking)

2 pork chops (not the monstrously thick ones, the normal)
3 tablespoons of vinegar (white or red)
1 tablespoon of butter
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 lemon's juice
2-3 slices of garlic smashed not cut
150ml of hot water with a diluted stock cube inside (chicken or beef)
a little dried thyme
a little dried oregano
a little salt
a little pepper
optional: a tablespoon of flour

First put a little salt and pepper on both sides of your pork chops (you may want to rub a little flour on them, I usually don't). You put the frying pan on to max heat and pour the vinegar in. The vinegar will warm up quickly so you add the pork chops, and leave there for like 2 minutes on one side and another 2 on the other. The purpose is that it loses the pork smell and its raw colour. The vinegar must have evaporated by now so you quickly add the olive oil and the butter. You let the pork chops fry for like 4 minutes on one side. Then you throw in the smashed garlic, the thyme, the oregano and turn the pork chops on the other side and let it fry for another 4 minutes. If it looks like the oil has almost evaporated add another tablespoon. Then you remove the garlic but don't throw it away, keep it. Empty the diluted stock cube water and the lemon juice into the frying pan and lower the heat to the middle setting and let the pork chops slow boil in it for like 6 minutes occasionally turning them so that both their sides get a nice brown colour. Once done, get the pork chops out and throw back in the garlic you saved earlier. Let it slow boil for like 2 more minutes, if it looks like the sauce is still watery leave a little longer, if it looks close to being evaporated add a little water. It should be giving you a saucy consistency that you can then put on top of your potatoes or rice or whatever you're making for a side dish.

I've made salmorejo quite a few times. Can't get my head around making it any time other than summer in the UK, though.

I've made salmorejo quite a few times. Can't get my head around making it any time other than summer in the UK, though.
Oh totally, it's a dish you have to eat cold, so I get that. It's also mostly a summer dish here, but in the South it's summer like 8 months a year :D I make it all year.

Isn’t it like Gazpacho soup?
Hmm I would say they're cousins? For me is way better than gazpacho. The difference is this has bread, so it's more dense. You can drink gazpacho, when a proper salmorejo you should be able to eat it with a fork.

Recipe coming up, I hope someone tries it because it's easy to make and yummy. And it's made with stale bread, which is very convenient when you don't know what to do with it and you don't want to throw away food.

Actually Lidl had a decent fresh salmorejo in their Spanish weeks last year. It works out much cheaper to make it yourself though- I imagine it's one of those recipes designed to use up a glut of tomatoes and you can make really cheaply.

I often make it when I make panzanella as well, if I've got a nice loaf of bread to use up.

Actually Lidl had a decent fresh salmorejo in their Spanish weeks last year. It works out much cheaper to make it yourself though- I imagine it's one of those recipes designed to use up a glut of tomatoes and you can make really cheaply.

I often make it when I make panzanella as well, if I've got a nice loaf of bread to use up.
Supermarket one is sold here too and it's quite decent apparently. Of course I've never bought it.

And yes, if you want to go supreme in your breakfast, try salmorejo on toast (move over, avocado, Kala salmorejo is here!), surely you're gonna have a great day after that.

SALMOREJO (Alla's secret recipe)

1 Kg tomatoes
180 grs stale bread (I usually use bread that is a few days old)
150 grs (extra virgin) olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon salt
a bit of vinegar

Like in every dish, the quality of the ingredients makes the difference, so go for good tomatoes. I recomend local ones for obvious reasons, and go for the ones with more flesh/pulp.

If you have a good food procesor it will help a lot. A simple blender like this is totally fine too:

ODZ4HAJ4WVDK3NYNZCM6XIHI5U.png

If you have a powerful food procesor you don't need to peel the tomatoes, but if you have one like the picture above I would recommend to peel them.

Put 1 kilo of tomatoes, 1 garlic clove and 1 tablespoon (tbsp) of salt (it looks a lot but don't worry, it's fine) in the vase and grind it well. The add the stale bread. I usually put 180-190 grs because I like it dense, but you can add 150 grs if you want it a bit more liquid (I recommend a bit more of bread but up to you). Add a bit of vinegar (optional, but don't add much or it will be very strong). Grind everything well.
Finally add the olive oil, but make sure to pour it slowly. Start the blender on the mix, or put your food processor on, and add the olive oil slowly. It has to take over 1 minute to go into the mix, and this part is crucial, so make sure to pour it like an emulsion while you have the blender on mixing everything, no rush.

And that's it. Put it in the fridge because it's served COLD. (tip: if you had the tomatoes in the fridge it will help to get colder sooner, but make sure it's in the fridge for at least 2 hours).

That's a vegan dish, but if you're not vegan and want to go for the full experience, we eat it with boiled egg and Spanish ham on top. Also we eat it with bread (as if it didn't have enough already)

salmorejo-con-jamon-y-huevo--md-53900p68787.jpg

It's simple to make, and it's hard to go wrong with the recipe if you follow those basic steps, so you should have a delicious dish to impress anyone. x

Last edited:
It's a typical dish from the South of Spain and one of my favourites. Simple to make, cheap and delicious. It's vegan (even when we usually add Spanish ham on top, but it's optional) and it has some fans here @Kate @Dark Carnival
It always used to be on the menu del dia in San Carlos when I lived in Ibiza. I havent had it since but I love it, gazpacho too (even the one in the carton 😂)

I'll probably add one little spoon of sugar when I do this to bring the acidity a tone down, we never cook tomatoes without it, but other than that it sounds delish.

I've only got a stick blender, and I do peel the tomatoes. If you use nicely ripe tomatoes (and I think in the UK where our tomatoes are often crap, you have to), cut a shallow cross into them and blanch them, the skins usually come off easily enough.

I've made salmorejo in UK with Tesco tomatoes and it was yummy, just to encourage you all to try it :)

I nearly always add a little sugar when I cook with tinned tomatoes. Isn't it meant to balance the acidity?

I've heard of that and I've seen some grannies adding a bit of sugar to the lentils, but we don't do it here, so I don't know.

I googled it and some people add a bit of sugar (very few people, never heard of that, not in my salmorejo, my goodness) so I'll do it next time I make it (which will be soon) and share my experience with you. I'm always up to try things.

Highly HIGHLY recommend this stuff :disco: especially with the egg & Serrano ham on

Never mind sugar, the recipe I have adds a splash of sherry vinegar :bad: also extra garlic works if you’re a fan

I'm the worst cook ever and get totally stressed when I have to multitask to finish the different components of a meal at the same time.
I like these two Nigella recipes because they're quick and easy:

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/lemon-linguine

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/mirin-glazed-salmon
Oh I'd forgotten all about Nigella's lemon linguine. That used to be a staple for me.

If you like lemony Italian flavours, I made a baked lemon & herb risotto earlier this week which was delicious. And there's none of that worry of having the different parts ready at the same time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GNL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom