Post your favorite recipes

SALMOREJO (Alla's secret recipe)

1 Kg tomatoes
180 grs stale bread (I usually use bread that is a few days old)
150 grs (extra virgin) olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon salt
a bit of vinegar

Like in every dish, the quality of the ingredients makes the difference, so go for good tomatoes. I recomend local ones for obvious reasons, and go for the ones with more flesh/pulp.

If you have a good food procesor it will help a lot. A simple blender like this is totally fine too:

ODZ4HAJ4WVDK3NYNZCM6XIHI5U.png

If you have a powerful food procesor you don't need to peel the tomatoes, but if you have one like the picture above I would recommend to peel them.

Put 1 kilo of tomatoes, 1 garlic clove and 1 tablespoon (tbsp) of salt (it looks a lot but don't worry, it's fine) in the vase and grind it well. The add the stale bread. I usually put 180-190 grs because I like it dense, but you can add 150 grs if you want it a bit more liquid (I recommend a bit more of bread but up to you). Add a bit of vinegar (optional, but don't add much or it will be very strong). Grind everything well.
Finally add the olive oil, but make sure to pour it slowly. Start the blender on the mix, or put your food processor on, and add the olive oil slowly. It has to take over 1 minute to go into the mix, and this part is crucial, so make sure to pour it like an emulsion while you have the blender on mixing everything, no rush.

And that's it. Put it in the fridge because it's served COLD. (tip: if you had the tomatoes in the fridge it will help to get colder sooner, but make sure it's in the fridge for at least 2 hours).

That's a vegan dish, but if you're not vegan and want to go for the full experience, we eat it with boiled egg and Spanish ham on top. Also we eat it with bread (as if it didn't have enough already)

salmorejo-con-jamon-y-huevo--md-53900p68787.jpg

It's simple to make, and it's hard to go wrong with the recipe if you follow those basic steps, so you should have a delicious dish to impress anyone. x
I'll give that a go. Thank God, someone posted something with easily accessible ingredients!

I'm the worst cook ever and get totally stressed when I have to multitask to finish the different components of a meal at the same time.
I like these two Nigella recipes because they're quick and easy:

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/lemon-linguine

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/mirin-glazed-salmon
My multi part cooking game has improved by planning better. I have a notepad in the kitchen to plan any meal prep with more than two constituent parts! Proper basic Home Economics shit!

I'll probably add one little spoon of sugar when I do this to bring the acidity a tone down, we never cook tomatoes without it, but other than that it sounds delish.
I added 1/2 tsp of sugar but didn't notice anything, I'll add 1/2 kilo next time. :eyes:

Actually, when I make tomato sauce I add some sugar for that reason, but that's it.

I added 1/2 tsp of sugar but didn't notice anything, I'll add 1/2 kilo next time. :eyes:

Actually, when I make tomato sauce I add some sugar for that reason, but that's it.
That's the point with sugar in tomato, it's meant to be very little like a pinch or sth so that it balances acidity but not change the taste

I usually fuck up recipes. Add too much of something or be impatient, the best food I make is when I’m not rushing.

The few times I’ve tried to cook rice noodles I’ve failed and so I never try. Stir fry isn’t something I know how to do.

I get into a rut with cooking where I'll make the same recipe once per week for about a month or so to try to get it perfect, then forget all about it for ages. I do most of the cooking at home and I'm trying to get out of the habit of serving the same thing over and over.

Rice noodles are definitely more difficult to get right than egg noodles, I only really use them for Thai stuff, otherwise I just get normal ones.

My GOOD FRIEND Cliff Richard, is always chatting about his love of consuming bananas and his healthy appetite for meat. No wonder he looks so youthful and is such a good influence on his young boy friends.

My Pastitsio recipe (1,5 hour)

500 grams of minced beef
250 ml of tomato juice (if it's from the supermarket use whichever one is slightly concentrated)
1 pack of powdered Béchamel or Besciamella sauce from the supermarket (200 grams)
1,5 litre of fresh milk
1 pack of pasta (penne rigate)
1 cinnamon stick
1 nutmeg seed
1 chopped onion
2 chopped garlic cloves
1 chopped orange bell pepper
grated cheese (chose a hard salty cheese)
olive oil
salt
pepper
pinch of sugar

You will also need two pots, a big deep baking pan and a cooking mixer.
On the first pot you prepare the penne rigate as you normally would. After you have boiled the penne for 9-10 minutes, drain it from the hot water and add some olive oil (not much though just a little) on your hot pot and put the penne back in it. Give it a swirl and then remove it from the heat. This is done.
On your second pot put some olive oil in (again not too much but more than on the previous step) as well as the minced beef and the chopped onion, garlic and bell pepper and let it heat altogether for a little so that all the beef changes colour and turns white. Should be 5mins tops. Then throw in your cinnamon stick, the tomato juice, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar, reduce the heat to medium, give it a swirl, put the lid of the pot back on and let it boil for sth like 25-30 mins. Occasionally check the consistency, if it looks like it's dried out too soon add a little water (you expect to take a nice moist flavoury brown minced beef here so don't expect it will look like a soup in the end).
Now once done, you need to take out your big deep baking pan.
In the pan you will need to add a little olive oil again (very little this time) and use a pastry brush to make sure it has reached every surface of the pan. Then you place your long forgotten penne nice and even as your base and sprinkle all over it with grated cheese, it shouldn't look like it's completely snow blanketed but enough to taste nice and hold the next layer. Which is the beef and everything else that was with it except the cinnamon stick (which you now can throw to waste). Make sure that it makes an even new layer on your pan.
Now turn on your oven at around 200C to preheat it.
For the Béchamel, technically you can make your own. I don't want to 🥳 so am using instead the dried-out powder supermarket version that you just need to add it slowly in a big bowl that contains 1,5 litres of milk and mix it with your mixer. Once the consistency is creamy and thick empty the bowl on your pan and create a new layer and even it out.
Then grade some of the nutmeg seed on top of it, sprinkle some more grated cheese on top and put in your by now preheated oven and leave it bake for around 40 minutes.
Technically the dish is already cooked so what you're doing now just serves the purpose of the Béchamel which needs to change colour from white to golden brown.
Once you have the colour done you also have the texture. Avoid eating it while it's still hot, let it cool off before eating it, it somehow adds to the taste.

My Cucumber Pasta recipe (10 minutes)

1 pack of pasta (Penne or Farfalle)
1 vegan mayonnaise (the one that doesn't have egg in it)
2 cans of tuna
1 cucumber
2 fresh onions (the green spring onions kind)
olive oil
pepper

You boil your pasta as usual. Drain the water and add some olive oil on the heated pot, then throw in your pasta, rub some pepper on it, give it a swirl and remove from heat.
Wash your cucumber thoroughly cause you won't be removing the skin, and cut it in slices. Then cut each slice in 4 pieces.
Remove the outer skin and roots from your fresh onions and wash them, then cut them in slices, the stems too.
Then open up your tuna cans and drain that cheap quality oil they are canned with.
Empty the actual tuna in a big bowl and add the chopped cucumber, the sliced fresh onions and your pasta.
Then open your vegan mayo and empty all of it in the bowl.
Mix everything with a wooden spoon and let it rest for a little cause it's better cold.

I've just made this delicious fideua, thanks to Lidl's A Taste Of Spain week and this recipe

I'm sure @Alla can confirm it's ever so authentic.

I've just made this delicious fideua, thanks to Lidl's A Taste Of Spain week and this recipe

I'm sure @Alla can confirm it's ever so authentic.
It is. I had fideua very few times, it's typical from Valencia, well known everywhere but they don't serve it in any place like some other dishes.

It is. I had fideua very few times, it's typical from Valencia, well known everywhere but they don't serve it in any place like some other dishes.
I think I possibly misjudged the saffron - a little too much of it. Not that that's a bad thing as I like saffron, but it overpowered the smoked paprika a bit. My fault for not tasting as I cooked.

I've made a huge pan of it - probably enough for six meals if we have it for lunch rather than dinner. When I reheat it I'll add a little lemon juice as well, I think.

My goodness how much saffron did you add? :D You have to add just a little bit, also too expensive to add it like that. Having already 6 meals is the best part.

I was using the end of one packet and I think assumed it wouldn't be very strong because it's been hanging around a while. Then I opened a new one and put in a good pinch of that as well.

in fact, my brother cooks for me, I can only prepare breakfast - for example, pour muesli with cold milk, I really think that it is very tasty

This is one of my favourite cooks/food writers. Her quick 'lasagne' made with sandwich wraps in one frying pan has been a staple for a good few years here. Today she has posted this, which looks like an ideal weekday dinner.

Beef paties.

Mix 500gr of minced beef with wet shredded bread (THAT YOU HAVE SQUEEZED THE WATER OFF IT - use half the loaf, keep the rest in the freezer for some other time), oregano, thyme, garlic, coriander, salt, pepper, one or two spoons of olive oil. Use your hands to do with the mixture of all the above what cats usually do to your tummy. Once everything is sculpturable, create the patties with your hands. Should be enough material for 8. Then preheat the oven at 180C. Take a tray out and lay one sheet of cooking paper on it so that maybe you don't have to wash it afterwards. Add 8 drops of olive oil where you think you'll be placing your patties. Take a cooking brush to make sure the oil drop covers all the surfaces of the patties' future placement. Put your patties on it and then add a little butter upon each.

This is a bad example, I accidentally overdid it with butter. Use less.
IMG_20230507_142403.jpg

Leave it in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
Then contemplate what your side dish will be, I suggest rice cause it will be ready in the same time with the patties.

Last edited:

Back with another edition of cooking for lazies (35mins)

The potato salad.
4 potatoes
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 vegan mayonnaise
some wine vinegar
some olive oil
oregano
thyme
salt and pepper

Boil the potatoes. Rinse the potatoes. Peel off the potatoes. Put the potatoes in a bowl and chop them into small chunks. Throw the chopped onion, chopped garlic, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper in. Stir everything with a spoon and add the wine vinegar and the olive oil to the mix. Stir again. Throw in half of the vegan mayonnaise bottle and stir again. Ready.

This is one of my favourite cooks/food writers. Her quick 'lasagne' made with sandwich wraps in one frying pan has been a staple for a good few years here. Today she has posted this, which looks like an ideal weekday dinner.

Tried this last week and it was delicious

Cooking for lazies VI
Pork chops with potatoes in the oven

2 pork chops
3 potatoes
Vinegar
Thyme
Oregano
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Mustard
Lemon

You wash your pork chops and then you rinse them with vinegar. Then you make some superficial cuts with a knife so that the seasoning can get in. Then you add the salt, pepper, thyme and oregano. Take a deep tray and pour some olive oil in (not much). Rub your pork chops on it and place them on the two opposite sides of the tray so that you leave some space for the potatoes. Unpeel the potatoes wash them and cut about twice as thick as you would do for french fries. Throw them in the remaining space. Take a shaker and pour in about half the bottle of a mustard, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, olive oil (not much), and two spoons of fresh lemon juice. Shake and empty all of it on your tray. Some of it is still in the shaker but you don't mind cause you will add some water, reshake and empty it again on the tray. About half the size of the cut potatoes should be submerged so feel free to add more water if need be. Place the try in a 200C preheated oven, and once you do reduce temperature to 170C.

Will look like this.
IMG_20230604_134113.jpg

Bake for about an hour, but check it at 40 mins to see if you need to add more water or adjust temp.

Cooking for lazies & heatstroked
The Cretan Dakos (5 minutes)

Barley rusks (technically speaking they should be Cretan and big, but any rusks will do)
1-2 Tomatoes
Half a cucumber
Feta cheese
Olive oil
Oregano
Thyme
Olives
Cappers

You put the rusks in a plate and pour some olive oil on top of them so that they get softer later on. Cut your tomatoes into little cubes, and do the same with your cucumber. Sprinkle chopped tomatoes and cucumber over the rusks. Add little chunks of feta cheese on top, olives, cappers, thyme and oregano. Add some more olive oil on top and put it in the fridge to rest a little.
IMG_20230715_151723.jpg

Vegetable stew

It looks like shit but felt very comforting.

20240107_170144.jpg

4 small potatoes cut in chunks
1 onion chopped in slices
2 carrots chopped in slices
4 handfulls of peas
1 green onion in slices
2 cups of blended big ripe tomatoes
1 cup of water
1 cube of beef
A little olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Grated cheese
And a little rice

Warm up the pot, add the olive oil and let the onion caramelise for a couple of minutes. Then add the potatoes, the carrots, the green onion and the peas. Give it a stir and then add the tomatoes, water, salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar and the beef cube. Let it boil in low heat for 45 minutes. About 10 minutes before it's ready make some rice in another pot and once it's done burn a little butter in it. Then put them next each other on a plate and sprinkle with salty grated cheese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom