Price rises/ inflation

I find hanging around the LIDL BINS around lunchtime helpful

Not because you can help yourself to LEFTOVERS but because the STENCH OF PISS is enough to put you off eating :disco:
The stench of piss isn’t enough to put ALL of us off eating :)

#lingeringremnantsofnasty

I've lost track of what food should cost, aside from the bits I buy regularly (Tesco wine, Spicy Monster Munch).

I’ve found BUTTER has been the most notable price increase.

I bought some veg the other day, carrots, potatoes, leeks, iceberg lettuce, two small onions - it came to almost a fiver! And somehow I stood there and was pleased with how cheap my purchase was.

Wipe your bum with your potato then just peel off the soiled bits.
Surely an onion, with it's many layers is the future of bottom cleaning. Tampons to be replaced with a leek, you can just REMOVE A LAYER for NEXT MONTH.

I can't buy particularly basics without hearing my grandmother's voice saying HOW MUCH? in my head.

I bought milk, bread and butter yesterday and it was just over a fiver. And that was Tesco, not a bloody farmers' market.

I picked up two packets of Biscoff Creme biscuits without looking at the shelf price. Was gobsmacked to find them £1.75 each at the till, they were "only" £1.40 last week.

I also noticed that the big jar of coffee that used to be £7 is now priced at £9.99.

Our pack of 500g chicken breast was £4.50 at Aldi. Nothing is over £4 in Aldi!

I've never had a Biscoff creme biscuit, but by buggery I'm going to try them now, even at £1.75.

Compared to pretty much every other country in Western Europe, and the USA, Canada, Australia and NZ, the price of groceries in the supermarkets have always been much cheaper here in the UK. Some of my friends who live abroad couldn't believe how cheap fruit and veg is here, for example. While prices are increasing quite a lot, they are still relatively reasonable compared to other countries.

Trying to have a snack down under requires taking out a mortgage, so yes the UK is much cheaper and still very much is so. But it’s still much worse than it was prior.

Population density in the UK rarely has advantages, but it certainly does here for the manufacturing and distribution costs of groceries compared to some of those other countries. There are of course other factors, and it doesn't make the UK immune to cost pressures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom