Price rises/ inflation

Food prices are wild, no wonder the supermarkets are starting to cut back on their points. Mind you, Boots have done that too.

We rarely use ketchup, but even so I don't remember the last time I bought it. About once or twice a month I go to KFC here when I work an extra late Monday, ask for ketchup and they nearly always throw a handful of sachets on the tray.

We just popped into a little Sainsbury's and I was shocked to see a small bottle of coke or Fanta was £1.90!!

I clearly don't usually pay attention to prices.

I’ve found BUTTER has been the most notable price increase.
We've found butter is crazy expensive because of the shop. A box of 40 used to cost us £25, a year later it's now £40!

We just popped into a little Sainsbury's and I was shocked to see a small bottle of coke or Fanta was £1.90!!

I clearly don't usually pay attention to prices.
Yet you can get it in a meal deal for £3.50 or whatever.

And you can often get a 1.5 litre bottle cheaper than a 500ml one.

Yet you can get it in a meal deal for £3.50 or whatever.

And you can often get a 1.5 litre bottle cheaper than a 500ml one.
Yeah I think I usually go for a meal deal so don't notice the individual price. But I only wanted a bottle of coke for my train journey.

I ended up getting a bottle of water for 80p.

I usually go for a Naked juice with my meal deals. I'm not a particularly massive fan, they are just usually the most expensive and I like to feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Meal Deals were always designed to make you buy the Meal Deal - they're genuinely not expecting you to buy just the drink for £1.90. But it has become silly now - I had one the other day and it went down from £6.80 to £3.99 when I scanned the last item and then 3.60 when I scanned my clubcard. No-one thinks they've "saved" £3.20, surely?

It's in East London - £6 a coffee I reckon!

BrokenAdorableIndiancow-size_restricted.gif

Just had an email saying our fuel costs are dropping again, just over 6%.

That's the second reduction we've had in the last few months, and I think the first was a similar reduction. Relatively small compared to the increases before that, but it makes me feel slightly less guilty about turning the light on after 7pm to read.

Work were in the news proudly part of the "wages increasing to match inflation for the first time in ages" crowd. Far as I know they'd been intending to restructure salaries to meet market rates (rather than underpaying due to perpetual struggling) for years and just happen to be in a position to now after some nice contracts, but yeah it's absorbed the cost increases somewhat.

Biggest for me anyway is the pub. Just about to break the £5/pint barrier. I remember starting my drinking career a mere 24*cough*23 years ago at around £1/pint and being startled that it got to 2.... And the 3 not long ago at all.... and it seemed to SKIP 4 during the pandemic

The pint is an interesting one. Local "old man" boozers have seemed fairly immune to sky high pricing but I bought two pints in one on Tuesday and was charged £10.70 and really noticed it for the first time.

I was two for £14.60 yesterday. London is different, but she’s a bit pricey.

I guess when I arrived ten years ago it was around just under a tenner for that (outside of a Spoons or whatnot), so over a decade that isn’t a ridiculous price rise, given a quick squizz at minimum wages shows they have increased by a similar percentage in that time.

I've just paid £8.25 for a (single) gin and tonic in a pub. Is that normal these days?

In a pub yesterday and a woman held up the queue to scoff at being charged £3.95 for a soda water (which I'm kinda on her side with I guess - the barman explained it was the price of all their "soft drinks"). He asked if she wanted a piece of lime in it. She barked back WELL IF ITS FREE :D
That woman did NOTHING WRONG

I have a friend in recovery who no longer lives here, but when I used to go to the pub with her, she'd have soda water with lime cordial, and I seem to remember a lot of places would only charge for the cordial. We're talking 5+ years ago, though.

When I was a barman if people wanted soft drinks I would just give it to them for free

Rarely get change from a fiver for a pint these days even up north but at least in our local soda with cordial is a sensible price.. either 60p or 90p I can't remember but less than £1 anyway. Usually ours will give it you for free if you're a regular and it's for someone with you, or even just for you if they know you're taking a break or anything like that (which was a nice free week when I was on antibiotics)

I have a friend in recovery who no longer lives here, but when I used to go to the pub with her, she'd have soda water with lime cordial, and I seem to remember a lot of places would only charge for the cordial. We're talking 5+ years ago, though.
The bar I used to work in in Brighton would charge 15p for lime cordial and soda water was free!

Part of the problem is there's fuck all drink choice for soft drinkers in a pub who don't want/ like sugar. It's literally Diet Coke. There was a long period I was intolerant to caffeine (it plays my stomach acid up a LOT, though since my operation it's better) and I would always have lime and soda as I don't like sugary drinks at all. Give me more options and I'll happily pay more for a drink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom