Pumpkin - what do you think?

Four cans of Strongbow and a bag of heroin please, Sonia

• Total voters
With both Chesterfield and Manchester Oxford Road cafes now closed I fear for the Sheffield Pumpkin :(

Pumpkin is DEAD to me now that I know this exists.

1686214271202.jpeg

Poor love might need an extra bucket. It’s not often that you get bacon that weevily :(

Another SPECIALITÉ DU LA PUMPKIN :disco:

I was going to sample Pumpkin Clapham Junction, wasn’t I? I’m off work for a couple of weeks so I might do that tomorrow. We can’t have TWO scorching hot reviews in ONE day or indeed two cases of the TROTS

Do feel free to browse the Pumpkin menu and tell me what to sample. I always find that offering oneself up as a public service is key to good mental health :disco:

Also this is an opportunity to be sadistic if you’re for whatever perplexing reason not fond :tongueout:

Okay, Pumpkin Newcastle review:

Quite well located just off platform 4 inside a little arch, however the entire shop is EXTREMELY warm due to a lack of ventilation. I was informed that they've been in dispute with Network Rail for fifteen years about being able to utilise existing venting in the station wall :shock: This meant we were unable to sit in as it was just too stifling.

Ordered a cappuccino and a chai latte, along with two bacon rolls however they only had one left so ended up with one bacon and one sausage. We must have missed the hot drink and roll for £2 promotion on the wall as this little lot ended up costing £16.80 somehow. My bacon roll was adequate but quite tasteless even with ketchup (provided without asking which was a lovely touch), and all the food items were put into a paper bag together and some sausages fell out requiring manual reassembly. The coffee was worse than on previous trips, having that definite 'machine' taste and texture. However, they did have some charming cups (see photos below).

All in all I think this was sadly a miss from Pumpkin Newcastle, though I will say that the staff were lovely and there were no fearsome battleaxes in sight.

PHOTOS
PXL_20230612_090250672.jpg

PXL_20230612_090615859.jpg

PXL_20230612_091024101.jpg

PXL_20230612_091004348.jpg

PXL_20230612_091020022.jpg

PXL_20230612_090950927.jpg

PXL_20230612_090605900.jpg

I love how you actually discussed the VENTILATION!

All sounds ever so tasty and keenly priced though, and the sausage incident sounds top notch. HIP HIP HOORAH FOR PUMPKIN!

Hard not to think that the rest of the bill might not have been made up of the three cans of Carling for seven pounds offer. Young Mr COB has clearly pushed those just out of shot.
:D Young Mr COB quite naughty and @COB also very naughty for making us think Pumpkin is dear WHICH WE ALL KNOW IT’S NOT :oi:

Reasonable fayre at a reasonable price - that’s the PUMKIN PROMISE :disco:

Reactions: COB
More awful news for Pumkin fans - the EAST CROYDON branch has permanently closed :(

@COB Were you served by Elena? She seems quite popular and well-liked based on the reviews which is quite shocking and certainly NOT in keeping with the brand :shock:

What is the vegan selection like at Pumpkin?

Do they try to fleece vegans by charging extra for plant-based milk?

Le Flop Quotidien DEAD. Could they have invested too much in making their food suitable for human consumption, unlike the miraculously still-surviving Pumkin? (surely the cockroach in a nuclear strike of the food-to-go sphere)

Which ONE survived? EDIT: Oh a franchised one, expect that to become a CAFE LOCAL in three, two, one...

These shut rapidly during / post-pandemic - the one near me is now a (also rapidly expanding) Flat Iron.

Sheffield is now a Cafe Local too!

Wolverhampton Pumpkin and its very manipulative serving staff will also become a Cafe Local, that's gutting. I might have to go all the way to Crewe to finally experience it, unless there's somewhere closer now I'm living in glamorous Staffordshire.

Oh I don't think it's permanently closed, it just was when I got back to the station at 10pm (annoyingly, as I could have done with a £5 can of warm Strongbow for the journey :()

Oh I don't think it's permanently closed, it just was when I got back to the station at 10pm (annoyingly, as I could have done with a £5 can of warm Strongbow for the journey :()
Was there nothing tempting in the adjacent vending machine? Perhaps a packet of

1689156769997.png

IMG-20230721-WA0006.jpg

So had my first Pumpkin Experience, just before they seem to be about to go extinct.

Pumpkin Carlisle: ⭐⭐

Dead. Deceased. Nary a soul in either the shop part nor the seating area. Despite this, my hot chocolate (from a MACHINE :angry:) took ages, making my 20 minutes before my next train suddenly a HIGH OCTANE RACE AGAINST THE CLOCK.

Every ingredient and tool, despite it being a machine, needed to be collected leisurely from the back. The woman was friendly enough, but clearly didn't understand that trains run to schedules and that a busy thoroughfare like Carlisle requires quick and agile service. She also tried to pawn off a very tired looking bacon sandwich sitting under a cloche on the counter. I refused, naturally.

The hot chocolate itself is watery and unappetising. I imagine AR MARTHA'S bathwater has a similar taste.

Will not be returning.

On the ground reportage from CARLISLE.
View attachment 13512

Shop was clean and in good order, though the seating area was closed. One girl on the counter who was very chatty and nice, though she unfortunately couldn't sell me the toastie I'd originally chosen as the machine was being cleaned (good sign re: commitment to cleanliness though plus I got crisps instead). Standard signage behind counter, no sign of the Winter Warmers yet though it might still be too early in the year for them. My hot chocolate was made very promptly and served with a smile, though in a plain white cup without the familiar Pumpkin branding. Would recommend!

View attachment 13513
I have it on good authority that another forum member has been to this branch recently, possibly while on the way to meet someone they got chatting to on CB radio. Any chance of an UPDATE REVIEW?

View attachment 19405

So had my first Pumpkin Experience, just before they seem to be about to go extinct.

Pumpkin Carlisle: ⭐⭐

Dead. Deceased. Nary a soul in either the shop part nor the seating area. Despite this, my hot chocolate (from a MACHINE :angry:) took ages, making my 20 minutes before my next train suddenly a HIGH OCTANE RACE AGAINST THE CLOCK.

Every ingredient and tool, despite it being a machine, needed to be collected leisurely from the back. The woman was friendly enough, but clearly didn't understand that trains run to schedules and that a busy thoroughfare like Carlisle requires quick and agile service. She also tried to pawn off a very tired looking bacon sandwich sitting under a cloche on the counter. I refused, naturally.

The hot chocolate itself is watery and unappetising. I imagine AR MARTHA'S bathwater has a similar taste.

Will not be returning.
You'd have been as well bringing your tired bacon sandwich from home!

Zen the review failed to mention the age and weight of the female staff member which seems to be customary amongst their WICKED CLIENTELE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom