Róisín Murphy - Róisín Machine & Crooked Machine

EjWvcU4XsAEfI-g

i hate myself for not ordering a t-shirt with the vinyl now :evil:

ok, i love the whole album.
the new ones are amazing and the old ones i wasn't crazy about (narcissus and jealous - fuck yeah, it's an amazing reworking!) have officially won me over.

i feel the need to point out how long this woman has been around and what an exciting, downright legendary path she's carved out for herself.
she never gets enough recognition for what an amazing vocalist she is - original and full of emotion and so capable technically.
she's up there at the very top of what she does for me together with the likes of grace jones and alison goldfrapp.

Agreed. And just to add that she’s one of those golden artists that sound better live. Her voice is like silk. Effortless, seductive, creative.

I haven't listened to the album yet as I was hoping my LONG PLAYER would MATERIALISE today, but now I am not likely to get my mitts on it until THURSDAY. :evil:

Love Kingdom of Ends from my NMF listening though, and she looked incredible on Graham Norton.

so, i finally listened to the proper record (on youtube the album compiles the video version of the older songs). i've realised plaything was kept off cause it's a maurice fulton prodcution and i can probably nitpick (incapable does feel a bit too short) but i will not because it is an absolutely wonderful album.

loon rates are still a thing, right?

09 simulation - the earliest release from the album, i've always loved it but i begrudge it a smidge for being so familiar and getting 8 minutes of running time. (i won't shut up about plaything, will i?)
10 kingdom of ends - she does the deranged shamanic thing so so well. this is electrifying and i am toast.
10 something more - the existential drama of it all! she's done this theme before (on never enough) but it's obviously a lot more mature and refined now. i see amy douglas is among the writers too, interesting connection.
09 shellfish mademoiselle - silly name apart this is such a glorious sunny number. the intro is all kinds of.
10 incapable - this one has the most amazing loop and flow of vocals and it's such a cool take on a not often explored theme by women. the lp version is too short, i've decided.
10 we got together - i feel cool just listening to this, it has that big dick energy she flashes every so often. it reminds me of her track with crookers but, like, totally next level.
10 murphy's law - probably the most forward song on there despite it's running time. it's almost like a classic track. if you ever tire of the original, i love the extra spring in the step of this mix).
10 game changer - it's amazing cause it's true. i love how the synth line gets muted - such a simple trick that gives so much freshness to a ubiquitous sound. it reminds me of moderat's a new error. the keep on bits are such a cool throwback to time she mashed let me know with d-train's classic.
08 narcissus - i hate the sound of the word narcissus (and sisyphus) for some irrational reason, so this had an uphill battle but i quite like the new edit. like murphy's law, it's like a vintage disco track. the extended middle 8(?) is the high point for me.
09 jealousy - this is not just a reworking, it's a whole new song. it reminds me of koze. nostalgic and manically uplifting. i like that she's injected it with a bit of crazy too. it might grow.

there's such a charm to the story of her making this album with crooked man/parrot who she was starting off as a musician with back in the day in sheffield. it's such a joyous, carefree and unadulterated album and a proper exciting reinvention of the disco sound.

love love love it!

I’ve streamed this twice and am enjoying it. It totally reminds me of the music they were playing in the background in bars in Lisbon when I lived in Portugal for a year in the ‘90s.

We Got Together distills the don't fuck with me sound from Cry Baby and Momma's Place

your biggest shoulder pads out for this one, Róisín

Last edited:
She's at 9 in the mids today. Hope she'll cling onto top 15

If someone can convince me that her LOOKS and general imagery are all her own idea, then please do so, as this album sounds alright to me. I simply cannot escape the off-putting notion that it’s all assembled by a project group of homosexualists on acid who go to Horse Meat Disco and convince her that THIS IS WHAT THE OUTRÉ GAYS WANT, the most jarring example of which is THIS

fbab8c2d.jpg

I men, better that than poor dear sad old Björk with her relentlessly unlistenable albums which nobody at One Little Indian has the nerve to call out - not to mention the FANNY MASKS - but EVEN SO

This is a genuine question about her styling och consulting by the way, so don’t get defensive

and you ought to be thrown in jail for even daring pose the question.

i hope somebody sentences you to a LIFETIME WITHOUT DANCING, mademoiselle

I reckon it's her own doing. she looked bonkers during Ruby Blue and I can't imagine that album had a prominently gay audience...

and you ought to be thrown in jail for even daring pose the question.

i hope somebody sentences you to a LIFETIME WITHOUT DANCING, mademoiselle

Oh I see this is another DON’T QUESTION THE QUEEN stan thread with no room for discussion or dissent

I struggle to post this, but I admire the album more than I like it.

Oh I see this is another DON’T QUESTION THE QUEEN stan thread with no room for discussion or dissent

it's abundant with references and she collaborates a lot but she has always been the one calling the shots. and there is always meaning and depth behind her choices.

i think jark put it best - muse, artist, brilliant human being.

As if Róisín ever listens to anyone else when it comes to anything :D

if you’ve been following since Moloko or seen her live you know

the question is more about which pop stars follow HER. I wonder if Gaga is still cutting out her images from magazines and putting them on her mirror :eyes:

Let’s just never mention that embarrassing time that she came for Robyn (TWICE!) last year!

Annieways I can’t decide if this or What’s Your Pleasure is album of the year so far.

It’s just so satisfying that she’s released an album with proper songs after that Monto shite!

HANDY GUIDE TO PRONOUNCING HER NAME

Roy-zin :emoji_no_entry_sign:
Roy-sheen :emoji_no_entry_sign:
Row-sheen, rhymes with go queen :emoji_white_check_mark:

(emphasis on the Row if you want to really show off)

Last edited:
what's this about? :shock:

She made a few disparaging remarks on Twitter about the Honey (I think) video being the same as one of hers because it was set in a warehouse rave - groundbreaking indeed.

The other incident was her claiming that the Honey tour promo materials had been copied from her - but they’d used the same graphic designer so take that up with them.

It’s hard to tell whether it was @funky IRONY or not but she seems in a better headspace now. Possibly because she’s being managed by OH BABY SONGSTRESS Rhianna.

Róisín is definitely not someone who can be told what to do. Interviews and gigs show that. If she was she’d probably have been a commercially more successful solo artist. She has a playful sense of humour, in NME she said she was “coming to snatch Dua Lipa and Jessie Ware’s wigs“ with this album.

I love Róisín and ALWAYS HAVE (aside from perhaps the RUBY BLUE album :eyes:), but that period of frequent TWITTER MELTDOWNS and tearing down other female singers was NOT THE ONE :argh: Never mind when she randomly started on the guy that runs popjustice :D

Imagine my shock when her Interview magazine interview with Jessie Ware was POSITIVE AND SUPPORTIVE!

but that period of frequent TWITTER MELTDOWNS and tearing down other female singers was NOT THE ONE :argh: Never mind when she randomly started on the guy that runs popjustice :D

seriously, i have once again missed all the drama :evil:

those synths in Game Changer are :disco: so lush!

skipitee, you be the one for me
I'll be the one for you
Why don't you love me forever?
Oops! You got me going again
I ain't going to stop till we get it together...

the absolute nonsense lyricism juxtaposed against that rich soundscape is also sending me for some reason :D she says it's her fave on the album.

those synths in Game Changer are :disco: so lush!

skipitee, you be the one for me
I'll be the one for you
Why don't you love me forever?
Oops! You got me going again
I ain't going to stop till we get it together...

the absolute nonsense lyricism juxtaposed against that rich soundscape is also sending me for some reason :D she says it's her fave on the album.

it reminds me of bibbidi bobbidi boo! and her moloko days obviously. and of grace jones' i've done it again in terms of it being a kick-ass woman in her prime who knows it and is relishing it.

i think my favourites are the kingdom of ends and game changer.

I'm currently listening to Hairless Toys, which I'd always assumed was awful due to its title and artwork - Evil Eyes is an absolute THRILL! that filthy bassline, those razor sharp synths cascading through the chorus like glass :o yes queen! Gone Fishing is a banging opener too. are you a fan of this record @ameraal?

Reactions: COB
I'm not am (sadly) but Hairless Toys is INCREDIBLE - I remember it took a little while to settle, but then I saw her on that tour and so many of the tracks just sprang to life in the live setting :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom