Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
The inevitable Harvey Weinstein scandal movie

I thought this was... fine. Very similar in all respects to Bombshell from last year. It was well acted, but it didn't say anything that a documentary couldn't, and it had that problem where the characters were constantly speaking in exposition. I would have preferred less on the buildup and more on the aftermath, it felt like it stopped just around the point where it was getting really good.

It also made me laugh how these two young mothers were constantly just abandoning their children to chase the story around the world. I guess the journalists really did that, but if they were going to include it at all as a plot point I wish they'd explored it a bit more.

Oh I did not need to see a disapproving husband or disappointed child. They’re modern women, they can leave their children for a bit.

Anyway, the movie is just fine. Well made, well acted but it lacked the gut punch of something like Spotlight.

Reactions: VoR
Oh I missed this topic. Meh at the whole thing. Good performances but a substandard regular journalist film… COMPLETELY IGNORES the fact that the tabloid media very well knew about Weinstein and some were even on his payroll. But they can’t bite the hand that feeds.

The movie is specific to this one investigation which was about them finding the victims and getting them to talk. It doesn’t claim to cover all the aspects of how Weinstein did what he did.

The movie is specific to this one investigation which was about them finding the victims and getting them to talk. It doesn’t claim to cover all the aspects of how Weinstein did what he did.
I just didn’t really buy the whole “shock” of the situation as if it was supposed to be All The President's Men or something like that.

Completely serviceable as a streaming movie but by no means to be used as a reference to what happened in real life.

Is it not accurate? I'm going to watch it in a few minutes.

Like they said a few posts before, it's missing some important points and I hated that it stops just before everything exploded.

Top notch acting from the main two ladies though. And Ashley Judd :(

It feels churlish to overly critique it given the subject matter, but this was very so so. The procedural bits were dull and consisted of variations of "they didn't return my call" and "I'll go and knock on their door" and the big tension building finale was daft with Patricia Clarkson banging out the Harvey quote as they all stood around.

I totally agree that it ended just as it was getting going. It didn't need to follow the Weinstein story through, but there was clearly more to say about the two journalists at that point. I didn't mind the two leads much, but Carey Mulligan is often quite dull to watch for me. Patricia Clarkson out-charismad them all!

And who signed off a $30 million budget for this? Ludicrous amounts of unnecessary and expensive location shots (London! New York! LA! Venice! Hong Kong!), vast swathes of extras, pricey setups for seconds of screentime. At least they saved on on camera talant (and gave Meryl a rest).

And Ashley Judd as Ashley Judd was just a weird blurring of the lines.

Blacklisted or not, Ashley Judd’s relative disappearance from A-list roles was never suspect to me. She’s just never been a particularly good actress, ruined her looks with weird facial fillers and never had much star quality to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom