Sheena's Budapest 2023 Thread

I also enjoyed shouting “Get Well Soon” at the obviously not sick at all Jakob Ingebrigtsen during his 5k heat last night 😀

Seb Coe is coming across dreadfully in this BBC interview. Effectively saying some events could go if they're not exciting enough, and he's pushing through changes regardless of whether the athletes want them.

21.41 is crazy fast, wow. Jackson looks like she thought the world record was on though. I’ve warmed to Richardson at this event I have to say despite her coach.

Don’t hate me but Brits have inflated expectations for Dina because she won a world championship 200 metres against a considerably weakened field, not that I’d take the achievement away from her. She is talented and I expect much better times from her but regular finalist is what I’d sort of expect her to be operating at. I’d love to see her back on a world podium though.

Don’t hate me but Brits have inflated expectations for Dina because she won a world championship 200 metres against a considerably weakened field, not that I’d take the achievement away from her. She is talented and I expect much better times from her but regular finalist is what I’d sort of expect her to be operating at. I’d love to see her back on a world podium though.

I could never hate you :love:

Nah, that’s not right. She was right up there around 2018-2019 and up to her 2021 injury. She took world silver in 2019 and that field wasn’t weakened. The 200 she won in 21.8 but she’s half a second off that at the moment. She’s really in an odd place- she doesn’t seem to be enjoying things and that might be the issue.

Basically, she’s plateaued. There are discussions about whether she would benefit from a new coaching set up.

The sprints have moved on in the last couple of years but she’s not gone with it.

Richardson, I think, is a sweetheart beneath the hard exterior.

Yes she looks like such a cutie bobbing about with her headphones and being gracious to the staff.
She's either growing up, or has been told to change her ways if she wants to succeed on and OFF the track. Probably a bit of both!

That was amazing from Shericka, 21.41 :o

Looking forward to the relays and of course that 800m final, Reekie looking good too and could get amongst it along with the big 3

Last edited:
The problem with Richardson is that she insists on surrounding herself with terrible people. Dennis Mitchell is a convicted doper and her coach, her entourage at US Champs in Olympic year included Chryste Gaines, another doper and part of the whole BALCO scandal and Justin Gatlin was advising her at some point. It’s just not a good look and the whole “chip on her shoulder” routine really wore thin quickly.

Thing is, I’ve got friends here in the mixed zone and she is still being cunty. She had a go at an Israeli journalist who didn’t pronounce her name properly, has been rude to a couple of other content creators etc. It feels like a PR company is telling her to make good- particularly with the other athletes- but that she’s still got a lot to learn.

Hello Leo Neugebauer 😍

Denise Lewis just gets more stunning, doesn't she

Looking forward to the 4x4 relay heats, I am always interested in seeing the selections and orders for the teams for the heats then finals.

Nice couple of Bronzes for GB tonight.
Our 4x4 women looked excellent, Nielsen is really flying at the moment isn't she, do with have anyone to bring in for the final, Victoria O?

Where was Dina for our 4x100? Is she out sulking? What a great run, we weren't getting anywhere near the Americans

Last edited:
Ama Pipi should come in for the 4x4 I would have thought.

They showed Dina on the sidelines of the warm up track with the team. I guess she decided she didn't have it in her for tonight. Hopefully no injury worries.

I loved Ben Pattison's bronze, he is exciting on the home straight.

Dina has always been a team player, as evidenced by last year when she got injured mid relay and carried on as she didn’t want to let the girls down. She’s clearly got something wrong. A shame but I don’t think it would have made a difference to the overall result.

Ama and Victoria could come in for the final of the 4x4 but there is some weird anomaly about Victoria at the moment as there is a pending doping investigation about her as her boyfriend (former British, now Italian sprinter) is banned for doping and was seen practicing with her- and that could constitute a ban as you must not work with anyone banned.

(And if she is found guilty, they could lose any medal with her in the team)

Didn’t know that about Victoria, best she doesn’t run as with the US out they have an even better medal shot. Pipi has upped her weave and eyelash game this season.

Neita saying she’s excited to be Britain’s no1 200 metres runner, at JK’s suggestion, might ruffle a few Dina Asher Smith feathers.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who finds Noah Lyles a little annoying?

I disagree. He’s great for the sport. He’s actually a showman without being a cunt. He’s really educated on athletics, supports others (apparently he’s been very supportive of Zharnel Hughes) and has a bit of a Usain vibe about him in terms of the way other athletes view him.

His nonsense this year is blatantly because Netflix are doing a “sprinters” documentary series and they’ve told them all to push the “we’ve got beef” rivalry angle.

Well done Budapest and its people. Thoroughly enjoyed that championships.

I wonder if GB athletics will feel vindicated with their selection policy with the team winning the highest ever world championship medal haul. They’d be wrong but not sure that’s how they’ll see it.

I loved that final session, I genuinely think making a thing of the World Relays would boost this sport so much. I didn't even hear of them this year.

I did think that Keely would struggle to beat Mary, but what a race.

Well done Budapest and its people. Thoroughly enjoyed that championships.

I wonder if GB athletics will feel vindicated with their selection policy with the team winning the highest ever world championship medal haul. They’d be wrong but not sure that’s how they’ll see it.

Yes it is the impact of their policy on athletes who could have been there this year for experience... but as you say a very enjoyable champs.

Charlie Dobson must be protected at all costs. Mitcham did so well too holding off Watson (who looked a bit confused as he crossed the line)

Ingebrigtsen still droning on in his interview about the virus or something that he has been dealing with for a few days, weeks or last week :confused:

Michael Johnson barely stopped short of calling him a liar afterwards.

Loved these champs. KJT, Josh, Pakistan getting a silver in the javelin. Was really willing local lass Keely to get the gold, but I find Mary Moraa so likeable (and having a Kenyan Asian mum means we support all Kenyan athletes in this house), I couldn’t begrudge the win.

Oh and Femke coming through for the win was a very fitting end to proceedings after the events of last weekend.

She reminded me of when Sally Gunnell used to come through at the end of the relay, there is something about the depth of the hurdles that gives them the strength to chase in the last leg of the 4x4 relays isn't there :disco:

I am so tired. The heat destroyed me pretty much, but it made for some amazing athletics. Definitely one of my favourite championships ever.

The British performance was great but, yes, hopefully this isn’t going to be used as an excuse for the nonsense selection policy. Take Ben Pattison- got a bronze but only just got the qualifying time at the last attempt. And the 800m time was relatively easy compared to some events. We could just have easily left him at home and ignored an invite.

Loved these champs. KJT, Josh, Pakistan getting a silver in the javelin. Was really willing local lass Keely to get the gold, but I find Mary Moraa so likeable (and having a Kenyan Asian mum means we support all Kenyan athletes in this house), I couldn’t begrudge the win.
Yes, good to see Pakistan on the podium, Nadeem looks so casual in his throwing that I’m always surprised by the distance he manages. When I was in India for 3 months this year everyone was crazy about cricket so no surprise to see the three Indian finalists all with great throwing techniques. Tennis players should also spend time bowling (cricket not ten pin) helps with the service rhythm.

I only scanned through it on iPlayer but Zurich was such a damp squib. It’s too close to Budapest. Everyone was either knackered or stayed home. I fail to see who thought it was a good idea! Especially as Zurich used to be THE premier meet of the year.

They are coming thick and fast. First Chinese DL in Xiamen on BBC2 at 12pm. I've not seen the start lists....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom