Steps - To The Beat of My Heart

Is this the one with 11 writers :eyes::disco:

What does this remind me of?

I don’t mean how you could sing Call My Name over the chorus backing

I think it was meant to be on Mollie’s album?

Anyway, that’s a fantastic little album track :disco:

What does this remind me of?

I don’t mean how you could sing Call My Name over the chorus backing

I feel like there’s a Girls Aloud track that sounds very similar but I can’t put my finger on it.

It’s not quite as good as Lately (what is?) but Lisa getting the first verse is :disco:

This is the Xenomania one, right? It’s VERY them.

Reactions: Zu
I’m unconvinced if this actually came out of Lisa Scott Lee’s mouth or it was written as some sort of fan fiction by @Suomi but either way I’m here for it:

I recorded (my parts) in Brighton, which was a fun day out. I recorded (my parts) in about two hours.(Afterwards) I went for a walk along the promenade, and the seafront and bought some donuts and got attacked by the seagulls on the beach. It was quite a memorable day.

It took one listen through to get used to the Xenomania messiness on a Steps song and I really wasn't sure about IN THE DARK at first but I am LOVING now, it is quite a pop rush.

So is it a single or just another song? I can imagine any live performances being a bit of a car crash.

It's utterly blinding after three listens :disco:

I don't think it is a single, it'll just be the one to push the album for new music Friday etc. Makes sense, being a bit more of an 'event' rather than the two other instant grats. For the meantime I imagine the promo will be with Something In Your Eyes (or WTFH).

The bridge (specifically the first one) :disco:

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND :disco:

what a shameless Something New rehash :D does nothing to reject the idea that Xenomania have been FRESH OUT OF IDEAS for a good decade now, but it's not bad at all. I bopped.

Jark ditching the new Miley song to come listen to this life changing event is everything I need for Thursday morning

Yeah, this is good.

But dear god at the Lee verse. :dj:

I can deal with it, and H's musical theatre vocal stylings as they are a couple of lines each. I wonder if Lee has noticed that they always seem to get one of the girls to sing a 'harmony' behind his lines...

This song really suits LSL though, probably as she is the best match for Mol's limited range.

Yeah, this is good.

But dear god at the Lee verse. :dj:

It does make me worried that they’re going to try and shoehorn him into EVERY song this time around...

His vocals were actually half decent on the last album when he did appear but every time so far it has been MOST unwelcome.

Jark ditching the new Miley song to come listen to this life changing event is everything I need for Thursday morning
Jark is not ditching Mildred ANY TIME SOON, HUNTINA.

BUZZING :disco:

It's a 12 from the SorB jury. No wonder seagulls are attacking modern day Tippi Hedren Lisa as she smugly parades herself in front of the Brighton gays with chips down her cleavage and as little fanfare as "holy shit Leece, you've recorded another I'm Burning, you're living your legacy" must feel like.

To me, it's more Xenomania produce a Saara Aalto track than Xenomania produce a Girls Aloud track. But that's absolutely no bad thing! :D

I actually voluntarily listened to this a second time without @Pingu holding me at gunpoint :o

Reactions: SDF
interestingly Miranda Cooper is on the credits, but she left Xenomania several years ago, before the GA reunion I believe. does anyone know if she's back or is it likely that parts of this song have been in the vault a decade?

Omg I'd lost all interest in Steps of late and ignored this all day.

What a fool, fabulous obviously.

interestingly Miranda Cooper is on the credits, but she left Xenomania several years ago, before the GA reunion I believe. does anyone know if she's back or is it likely that parts of this song have been in the vault a decade?

I think her credit is likely to be from old bits and pieces from here and there cobbled together. MNEK's contribution apparently comes from years ago when he was locked in a cupboard by Brian Higgins to write melodies or something.

I can't stop listening to this! It should have been the first single for sure.

Xenomania need a comeback. Who cares if the public is over it, they definitely could get the attention of a few people at least

It's a triumph. Even Lee, who sounds like a phone on vibrate on a bunker, can't dampen its glory (well he does, but you get the point). And H sounds female again so even he gets a pass.

It’s the best one of the new tracks. I think it’s slightly too quirky to be the first single (as far as getting radio 2 play etc was concerned) but I’d totally be down for this being the third single.

Is there precedent for a pre-album grat release to become a single? I thought that would count it out, but I suppose there’s no reason why it should

Is there precedent for a pre-album grat release to become a single? For some reason I thought that would count it out, but I suppose there’s no reason why it should

Maybe a bit of an outdated reference, but this is what happened to Meet Me Halfway by the Black Eyed Peas

Reactions: dUb
Is there precedent for a pre-album grat release to become a single? I thought that would count it out, but I suppose there’s no reason why it should

I think for the first two it is clear they won’t be, but given this was instant grat on release week/new music Friday on the album week may actually work in its favour of being a potential single.

I wonder when we’ll get the repackaged album :eyes:

I would have thought next summer, as I’m not sure how long they’ll sustain an album campaign for but maybe they’ll hold off until nearer the tour?

I would have thought next summer, as I’m not sure how long they’ll sustain an album campaign for but maybe they’ll hold off until nearer the tour?

I’d assume for the tour/Xmas sales. Not sure how they will extend the album beyond a third single in around March, they may mine a fourth but not sure radio two will bite for a fourth etc so it may run out of steam.

Ultimately a group like Steps only needs to release an album as an excuse to go on tour and rake in the cash so I’m pleasantly surprised it’s as good as it is.

Lee’s proportion of lead vocals to be demolished next time though.

Surely this will eventually turn out to be third single proper, it feels like the obvious choice.

The production credit is Steve Smith/Commands but I assume this is still Brian Higgins as some of the other (Xenomania) writers are listed as playing on it.

If they do go for a fourth it will be midtempo I think, maybe Clouds.

Please not innnn the CLOUDS innnn the CLOUDS innn the CLOUDS innnn the CLOU-OU-OUDS :bad:

I’d be happy with this getting the full third single treatment and they want to bang out Fathers Eyes fourth to little to no interest then why not.

Then strike back with a Closer To Perfection cover to lead a final quarter re release next year :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom