Supermarket Chat 2023

Oh God they're entirely rearranging my Aldi branch. First Brexit, Covid and Sam Mitchell and NOW THIS.

I really hope they don't introduce the fridge sections with DOORS. They look nice, but they get in the way.

I really hope they don't introduce the fridge sections with DOORS. They look nice, but they get in the way.

They've done that in ours already. I thought I read they were going to be doing that in all their supermarkets because of the energy savings.

Well my Aldi's revamp was very shiny and lovely. The self service was shit. But we paid £50 somehow! That's the cheapest in forever and weren't being especially frugal.

Not very excited by this week’s specials in Lidl. Some GARDEN EVENT guff NOT suitable for those of us living in jardinless cosmopolitan areas. I was enjoying the Eastern European theme and I went there for more of that mayonnaise salad thing but it had all gone :(

Does Aldi do THEMES? I know I could check but it’s always nice to chat :)

Not very excited by this week’s specials in Lidl. Some GARDEN EVENT guff NOT suitable for those of us living in jardinless cosmopolitan areas. I was enjoying the Eastern European theme and I went there for more of that mayonnaise salad thing but it had all gone :(

Does Aldi do THEMES? I know I could check but it’s always nice to chat :)
What did they sell in the Eastern European theme? Beetroot soup, cabbage rolls and Brutalist architecture?

• Love
Reactions: Zu
What did they sell in the Eastern European theme? Beetroot soup, cabbage rolls and Brutalist architecture?
:disco: Oh just some old meat and what not. Also I picked this up for £3.00

CB4B219F-AF86-41F2-A69D-DAF7E4727179.jpeg

I’m always nervous about the Eastern European theme week meat items because I am NOT a fan of great big lumps of fat in my sausage and they don’t say on the packets whether there’s a threat of thick gristle. The mini salamis with smoked cheese filling are however a safe and very tasty option :disco:

Oh yes, actually my father is a huge fan of kabanos, which is a very fatty, tough Polish meat, which my mum picked up for him from Lidls, a couple of weeks ago. In theory an early grave awaits him, but sadly modern science has allowed him to consume as much gross Polish meat as he likes.

I do like those twiggy sausages but it so very easily turns into a Down In One experience once the packet’s open. Another? OH GO ON THEN

I was quite the fan of Alpenfest a few weeks back. I stocked up on rösti and spätzle.

We all know anything is tasty if it has an UMLAUT 🇩🇪

• Love
Although I’m always amused by their calling the Italian themed foods “ITALIAMO” AKA SLIGHTLY ITALIAN AT BEST :tongueout:

I use Italian week mainly to stock up on their amarena cherries in syrup. And then transferring them to a jar of much more expensive ones from the Italian deli around the corner from work.

• BOOM BOOM
They really might as well make the Eastern European selection a constant. It isn’t like they don’t have the audience for it

Reactions: COB
Although I’m always amused by their calling the Italian themed foods “ITALIAMO” AKA SLIGHTLY ITALIAN AT BEST :tongueout:

Truly the German supermarket(ing) standard. Give it a slight "flavour" of the language to make the product of the cuisine more AUTHENTIC. 🤗

Sehr kreativ, ja.

Has anyone tried this houmous?

I’m obsessed with the jalapeño one. It’s so so creamy. Only available in Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Morrisons.

I see it’s SCOTTISH LARDER time at Lidl this week except it’s only available in Scotland. So SELFISH :(

Can we have a Lidl Dutch & Belgian week (starting next Thursday) anticipation thread?

I do hope it's not all waffles and chocolate windmills

• Love
Can we have a Lidl Dutch & Belgian week (starting next Thursday) anticipation thread?

I do hope it's not all waffles and chocolate windmills
It had better INCLUDE chocolate windmills!

Toppings galore on the DUTCH STYLE AMSTERDAM PIZZA!
Tender fillings promised in exquisite BELGIAMESE STYLE CHEESE BALLS!
Why not eat a whole packet in one go of CORSENDONK SLICED CHEESE!
Stock up for the children's Christmas stockings with BELGIAM CHOCOLATE BARS ASSORTED!
Feeling lonely? Why not pop an ARDENNE SAUSAGE RING up it!

What a load of old SHIT :disco:

Maybe we should each be allocated an item to buy and pop back on here with a lovely review :disco:

I’m always far too excited by novelty pretending to be exotic and foreign so I need to keep away. And some of those fonts are well nasty. Mind you, those Belgiam Style Oven Chips look like a real treat :disco:

Has anyone tried this houmous?

I’m obsessed with the jalapeño one. It’s so so creamy. Only available in Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Morrisons.
I have. It's much nicer than regular supermarket houmous.

Toppings galore on the DUTCH STYLE AMSTERDAM PIZZA!
Tender fillings promised in exquisite BELGIAMESE STYLE CHEESE BALLS!
Why not eat a whole packet in one go of CORSENDONK SLICED CHEESE!
Stock up for the children's Christmas stockings with BELGIAM CHOCOLATE BARS ASSORTED!
Feeling lonely? Why not pop an ARDENNE SAUSAGE RING up it!

What a load of old SHIT :disco:
How UNINISPIRED

Don't they stock most of that most of the time under different labels?

I've been today and they still had lots of Berner rösti left from Alpen Fest, so I made sure to stock up on that

Also we ALL KNOW that their frozen pizzas have a very nasty aftertaste and give you displeasing breath which isn’t nice when you’re trying to get a leg over with Piotr on the till

Or indeed offering suckle for 75p to the Romanians down the side of the Hackney branch NO NAMES MENTIONED BUT @Lucille

THIS IS A WARNING FROM THE MINISTRY OF WARNINGS

Can I urge all you Lidl fans (although I'm quite sure they are available in other establishments) to avoid BLONDE BELLA potatoes? They are advertised as being a 'good all rounder' suitable for roasting, frying or boiling, which is KIND OF true in as much as they aren't completely disastrous at any of them, but they are no better than average at all. Far better to get a nice King Edward for roasting or mashing, or a lovely waxy Charlotte for a salad.

THIS IS A WARNING FROM THE MINISTRY OF WARNINGS

Can I urge all you Lidl fans (although I'm quite sure they are available in other establishments) to avoid BLONDE BELLA potatoes? They are advertised as being a 'good all rounder' suitable for roasting, frying or boiling, which is KIND OF true in as much as they aren't completely disastrous at any of them, but they are no better than average at all. Far better to get a nice King Edward for roasting or mashing, or a lovely waxy Charlotte for a salad.
Dear God NO! Maris Piper for mashing ALWAYS

#potatobasedarguments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom