Supermarket Chat 2023

Blonde Bella sounds like a nasty little scrubber anyway but TA FOR THE TIP

THIS IS A WARNING FROM THE MINISTRY OF WARNINGS

Can I urge all you Lidl fans (although I'm quite sure they are available in other establishments) to avoid BLONDE BELLA potatoes? They are advertised as being a 'good all rounder' suitable for roasting, frying or boiling, which is KIND OF true in as much as they aren't completely disastrous at any of them, but they are no better than average at all. Far better to get a nice King Edward for roasting or mashing, or a lovely waxy Charlotte for a salad.

However, they are 19p a bag, so…

Is that a weekly offer? I think I paid about a quid and thought that was cheap. I wouldn't buy them again, regardless of price.

They’re in the Easter 19p roast dinner essentials type of thing the big supermarkets do at seasonal times of year.

They are probably better at roasting than anything else I've tried them at, but still not as lovely as a more floury variety.

And they RUINED MY TARTIFLETTE :evil:

Sloppy mince anyone?

BBC News - Sainsbury's defends vac-pack mince after complaints

I prefer this because you don’t have huge plastic trays that were twice the size of actual meat hogging up your recycling bin (which I’ve just found out in Glasgow I can only put plastic bottles in anyway 🤦🏼‍♂️). Doesn’t look great but it never did.

Last edited:
I prefer this because you don’t have huge plastic trays that were twice the size of actual meat hogging up your recycling bin (which I’ve just found out in Glasgow I can only put plastic bottles in anyway 🤦🏼‍♂️). Doesn’t look great but it never did anyway.

We can only put plastic bottles out here (and no glass either) but I am RIDICULOUSLY excited that they have just put a plastic try recycling bin next to the glass bins just across the road from me :disco:

:D

And Sainsbury's joining Tesco in pretending their loyalty card discounts are something new and exciting when they would have offered them as standard previously is tiresome.

Maybe it’s setup for people who it’s easier for them to have the option taken away. For the people who don’t like the Cheesecake Factory :D

Is it just the Morrisons near me or are they all turning to fucking shit?

I went in Thursday night at 7pm and they didn’t have one manned checkout operating. I only had a few bits and can obv use a self checkout but if I’d had a trolley load I’d have not been too happy. There were a few older people complaining and I think they absolutely should be as well. Can’t imagine the anxiety my mum would have had trying to use a self service checkout.

And also they never anything on the fucking shelves.

Only ever used Let it Shine, Market Street, Morrisons down in Brighton. It was okay, but that was years ago. No cashiers is garbage.

I went into Boots the other day. We were buying an item that wasn't in the box. One very stressed person serving and the rest were self service. Utter shite! Self service is not everything.

Is this the ok boomer thread, because goodie I have one! :disco:

So I had to exchange a t-shirt from a small to a medium (:eyes:) in M&S the other day. They have self checkouts now, and a woman in the queue asking everyone who's not exchanging to use them. The only manned tills are for refunds and exchanges or anyone who'd rather wait to not use the self checkout. There were three, but as they're not standard transactions and the customers were mainly old with lots queries, they were so slow.

Not a supermarket. But has anyone used the self checkouts at UniQlo? I can’t for the life of me figure out how it’s done. You don’t scan anything at all. Just plonk your items in a pile and it magically knows what’s there. What is this trickery?

I was about to say they have self checkouts at H&M here now, but you still have to scan the barcodes :o

I've never set foot in a UniQlo before but feel the need to now.

My two nearest Sainsbury's (non-'Local') have really done away with proper checkouts over the past few months, think they are left with one or two which isn't a self-checkout which seems rather shit when they're large stores where people will be getting trolleys full. Glad I'd already switched to doing SmartShop.

Not a supermarket. But has anyone used the self checkouts at UniQlo? I can’t for the life of me figure out how it’s done. You don’t scan anything at all. Just plonk your items in a pile and it magically knows what’s there. What is this trickery?
It's UTTERLY BONKERS

i've used them twice now, and I swear that the second time I went in the shop I only bought something because I wanted to use the tills again.

some Zara stores have had them for a few years now they are pretty cool

some Zara stores have had them for a few years now they are pretty cool
Our Pull&Bear and Bershka have recently got them as well, so presumably it's the whole of the chain. Don't think our Zara does though.

I got myself a Co-op card because there’s one over the road so for convenience purposes I’m there a lot. Also the man who serves me most days is quite flirty and I’m not interested but you know, it’s a laugh.

ANYWAY I’ve been shopping there A LOT getting all my bits and allowing myself I get ripped off, engaging in pointless conversation with the checkout man about Christmas jumpers and dialogue that consists of “my god, bitterly cold isn’t it?” “Oh, I know”

And I’ve managed to save TWELVE PENCE?

FUCK OFF

Sorry but you don’t save any money on SmartWater because it’s not Co-op branded.

FUCK OFF.

But is it CRISP?
Probably not from that shithole and I wouldn’t be surprised if they suck all the electrolytes out. Never again.

Seriously though - I am seeking a supermarket that will allow me to actually save money. Asda rewards is decent but I’m too bone idle to drive up to it and it’s full of people who seem more depressed than I am.

Recommendations plz. Right answers only!

The Asda rewards thing was surprisingly good, but they brought it in shortly before I moved away from having one on my doorstep :evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom