Tennis 2022

Rybakina's win not entirely coming from nowhere for those that follow the tour; her non plussed reaction to the win was quite bizarre for Wimbledon... Solemn queen!

Very happy for our stoic icon - who is also super chill off court. Was on the same plane with her in spring and no allures whatsoever, so low-key and unassuming.

Agreed, people don't realise just how close she came to winning significant titles and medals last year - but she lost a handful of matches in 3rd sets that really should have gone her way. But she still had some ways to go in terms of match management.

Last edited:
Kyrgios producing flashes of really high quality tennis here. if he can take the 4th I'd say he'll win.

I hope that’s the last Kyrgios match I ever see - really unpleasant watching.

Fairly low-key final overall. I really really want Nick to knuckle down now and focus. It seems unlikely he'll be at the US Open but when he's focused he's on fire.

I accidentally agreed to go out today a few weeks ago, not realising the date and that I’d miss the final. Glad I didn’t seem to miss much.

The final was fine, not a classic but some good tennis. The key part was Kyrgios missing four break points (3 in a row) to level at 5-5 in the second. It was exhausting watching him berate his team.

I know this is really silly but I’m in floods of tears after this. I know Sue isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but there is something to be said for 30 years of making me love Wimbledon. I feel like my mum has retired or something. I guess she’s a tradition in her own right for me and was one of the reasons I fell in love with Wimbledon and then tennis as a kid. I also love the fact she was a better broadcaster than tennis player. I think as an adult I always appreciated her good humour and empathy, and I think the fact that she ‘should’ have been the 1977 Wimbledon champion but didn’t make it gave her that perfect touch with the on-court interviews. Love you, Sue Barker!

I know this is really silly but I’m in floods of tears after this. I know Sue isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but there is something to be said for 30 years of making me love Wimbledon. I feel like my mum has retired or something. I guess she’s a tradition in her own right for me and was one of the reasons I fell in love with Wimbledon and then tennis as a kid. I also love the fact she was a better broadcaster than tennis player. I think as an adult I always appreciated her good humour and empathy, and I think the fact that she ‘should’ have been the 1977 Wimbledon champion but didn’t make it gave her that perfect touch with the on-court interviews. Love you, Sue Barker!

Class act Roger contributing to the tribute (as well as turning up to celebrate 100 years of Centre Court - when so many couldn't be arsed).

I remember Sue when she shared screen time with notorious CUNT Andrew Castle over on Sky Sports.

But she's always been one of the realest (and most hilarious) ones, even 6 or 7 years ago when she was still a "baby".

On the other hand, if she drops to 80 that’s where she actually should be and she can restart from a sensible place, crack the Top 30 after sensibly good results over a good period, and then try and make it to the second week of the slams and pick up some 250s and 500s. She needs to go on A Fascinating Journey if she would like another slam win.

I think she would benefit from a gap year from entering tournaments as a seed when she is a level or two below that standard. A lot of the top players will enjoy Emma’s game as it’s very rhythmical, the ball is always the same depth, there are nice patterns, and she’s not overpowering - she’s like a perfect practice partner and not too troublesome for players with one big Ultima Weapon.

Alternatively she can just milk the sponsorship, do an MBA and set up a sports modelling and underwear agency that’s big in China. I can definitely see her being a Kournikova-style commercial beast with actual credentials like Naomi. Maybe the fairytale in New York doesn’t mean a lot more tennis for her but a lot more opportunity to do different things? Hopefully including a Jennifer Capriati robbery of her local Waitrose and taking too much Calpol for EMMA: My Drug Hell headlines.

So that's basically the US Open as her swansong or have I misread that?

She said it would be her final grand slam so she may play other tournaments but it seems unlikely.

The way Venus played yesterday I'd say her time is rapidly drawing to a close too.

Yeah, that's most probably the implication.

And given how many times Serena has paid dust to everything post US Open in her career, that'd be somewhat fitting :D

I'd like to see Serena and Venus teaming up for doubles, really - that'd be fun but both singles and doubles might be pushing it, really.

Raducanu bagelling Serena and Vika in back to back matches in Cincinnati is quite the switch up in form ahead of the US Open. When you look at who she has lost to this year, it's a pretty impressive run so far. Pegula up next....

Raducanu is in great form at the moment. Perhaps she underestimates the lower ranked players who might put up more of a fight than players like Vika and Serena.

Venus Williams has been awarded a wildcard into the US Open, she's even less invested than Serena at the moment so it seems like a waste.

Venus Williams has been awarded a wildcard into the US Open, she's even less invested than Serena at the moment so it seems like a waste.

I am the biggest ever VW fan - peak Venus is my all time favourite player for so many reasons - but I often feel SAD when I watch her play now.

I bloody love Venus too (much more than Serena) but both of them really need to stop now... I'm amazed Venus hasn't made any kind of announcement along with Serena.

I mean... Kimiko Date-Krumm did it better in her 40s, I'll just say that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom