Tennis 2022

Assumedly he won't qualify to defend his points from winning the ATP finals last year, ensuring a nice tumble down the rankings. Tragic.

Quite frankly appalled at the lack of respect on Moopy afforded to the death of this extraordinary professional tennis career.

Even DC is conspicuous by his absence.

I discuss tennis more elsewhere. Great career obviously.His prolonged absence at this stage of his career made it feel like it had already happened to an extent. Always sad to see one of the greats go. I guess he was my slight favourite of the big three, to be fair I enjoy all of their tennis.

Yeah it’s a Big 3 and a Tangential 2 in Stanimal and Muzz. Roger will always be my GOAT too - mainly because he had such a great period of GS dominance followed by a period where his vulnerabilities showed up so obviously against Nadalovic but not others. Especially against Novak in finals, it always felt that it was beyond him a little bit. Human vs machine.

I feel Iga is more primed for one-two Slams a year for the next 5-7 years if she remains healthy and her head remains in a good space

Do we think Alcaraz could reach double figures in slams? He seems the most likely of the current gen to dominate the next 10-15 years.
10 seems definitely doable for him based on the field at this stage and the abilities he has shown. He seems keen and likes the big stages already, winning one as a teenager sets him up well but will depend on mind and body being willing over the years.

I agree Swiatek could rack up a good number too especially in the next year or two though she does show increasing signs of stress at each major.

Yeah it’s a Big 3 and a Tangential 2 in Stanimal and Muzz. Roger will always be my GOAT too - mainly because he had such a great period of GS dominance followed by a period where his vulnerabilities showed up so obviously against Nadalovic but not others. Especially against Novak in finals, it always felt that it was beyond him a little bit. Human vs machine.

There's a massive difference between Murray and Wawrinka and I find it bizarre that people can't see that and look at one stat alone (Grand Slam wins).

Murray made the Quarter Finals or better in 22 out of 24 slams between 2011-2016... Wawrinka could never.

I’d say although Stan was clearly very dangerous and has the same amount of slam titles as Andy that Andy has more of a case of being shoehorned in with the top 3 just due to his additional volume of slam finals and semi finals. But yes, 3 should not be categorised with 22, 21 and 20 in any scenario.

The Big 4 was 'named' in the days when they DIDN'T all have those numbers of slams though. It was named on the basis that they were the 4 regularly making Semi-Finals of Slams. In retrospect, Murray ended up with a lot less slams, but the reason it was called a big 4 was because there are 4 people in the semi-finals of slams and for years and years their top 4 rankings were impenetrable.

The Big 4 was 'named' in the days when they DIDN'T all have those numbers of slams though. It was named on the basis that they were the 4 regularly making Semi-Finals of Slams. In retrospect, Murray ended up with a lot less slams, but the reason it was called a big 4 was because there are 4 people in the semi-finals of slams and for years and years their top 4 rankings were impenetrable.
Not really. There was still a VERY large gap between Andy and Novak when SOME people began referring to them as that.

But The other 3 don’t - they literally refer to them as the big 4. It’s only Andy who doesn’t out of modesty.

Anyway… Murray very much a different league to Wawrinka through most of his career - his win-lose record is over 5% higher, which doesn’t sound that significant but really is.

Roger (and Rafa) practically bawling for every single person watching. Amazed they have any tears left.

Awk end of an era, emotional. He did quite well in managing to talk. I know it’s not the BBC but shoulda dragged Sue out for the interview.

Everything is changing. I have turned into one of those older people with an aversion to it.

I think Rafa knows his time is almost up too, but I don't think he'll announce anything until at least the next clay court swing.

I’ve just been mulling over Roger’s unique charm - and he’s a nice blend of aesthetics that people can’t help but find seductive. Cool as ice but boiling emotion underneath. Statesmanlike off court, balletic grace on court. Humble yet self-aware enough to describe himself as “definitely very talented”. My favourite people are never one-note characters and this little snip is why I love Roger + bawling when Nadal shattered his dreams again. It’s not as simple as saying that it’s a masc-femme blend but he’s very rewarding as a character to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
The atmosphere around The O2 for the Laver Cup seems to be a lot better than the ATP finals.

I'm not sure - and I think it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. We're looking at an exho-event with one of the biggest names to ever play retiring - the ATP Finals at the O2 were an incredibly well-oiled and well-running machine until 2019 and probably outstayed its welcome by a year or two, so the somewhat lacklustre last two editions weigh into what I would consider recency bias.

One thing they have in common: slow as fuck courts. :zombie:

I'm not sure - and I think it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. We're looking at an exho-event with one of the biggest names to ever play retiring - the ATP Finals at the O2 were an incredibly well-oiled and well-running machine until 2019 and probably outstayed its welcome by a year or two, so the somewhat lacklustre last two editions weigh into what I would consider recency bias.

Yes, the pace of the courts was very obvious in the Murray and doubles match I watched yesterday. Very little reward on them.

I’m talking about outside. They have a lovely fan area with deckchairs and a big screen, a practice court set up and stalls everywhere with fun things to do. ATP finals just had a merchandise shop and not much else going on outside.

I’m talking about outside. They have a lovely fan area with deckchairs and a big screen, a practice court set up and stalls everywhere with fun things to do. ATP finals just had a merchandise shop and not much else going on outside.

Ah ok, fair enough! Yes, from all I've heard, they've done a good job on-site at all Laver Cup instalments thus far.

The ATP finals at the O2 USED to have more to do - service speed measurements, things like that but clearly towards the end they didn’t bother.

The ATP finals at the O2 USED to have more to do - service speed measurements, things like that but clearly towards the end they didn’t bother.
I’m sure the time of year affected being able to do more things outside. Either way it was a nice atmosphere walking through it today… even if I was only there for the cinema. The hen-dos and drunk 60 year olds falling out of Mamma Mia: The Party slightly ruined it.

Barbora Krejcikova is an icon, she's a legend, and she is the moment.

So glad to see her playing well again after an injury-riddled season. The Ostrava!!! final really was one of the best of the year.

OK I am such a huge Barbs fan! What a likeable game and clearly someone who matured nicely into her tennis. Go Barbs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom