That Sounds Good To Me - Josh Dubovie (United Kingdom 2010)

Dead behind the eyes

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
The last time the UK had a national final (albeit not one where we were able to choose the song) the result was THIS.

Worst UK entry ever, or just in the bottom 5?

Poor Josh. Those painful last two notes really put the cherry on the top of an overwhelmingly depressing package.

Last edited:
Actually I've just watched the video. It probably is much worse than the bin man

Andy was a miserable wanker and the song was a complete B-side, but I don't think as a whole package it was anywhere near as depressing or embarassing as this to be honest. I'd place it above Scooch and Electro Velvet personally.

I mean it's FAINT FUCKING PRAISE, but at least there's a veneer of professionalism here.

Last edited:
One of those things where you just feel incredibly sorry for everyone involved.

Except Pete Waterman. What a colossal wanker.

It's rubbish but it doesn't offend me. I'd put Electro Velvet below it. Josh was a nice enough guy but the whole thing was just so amateur.

The bin man song is catchy on certain occasions. I definitely prefer it to Scooch.

I wonder why Georgia and Azerbaijan saw fit to give this points?

I wonder why Georgia and Azerbaijan saw fit to give this points?

It's a mystery on a par with San Marino throwing pity points to Electro Velvet this year. Given Josh scored more from the jury than the televoters, I suspect it was the former who awarded him in those countries, though I really can't imagine why.

I can never quite decide whether this is worse than Andy - I feel like this deserves (some) credit for feigning the effort to replicate the Jade/Andrew Lloyd-Webber approach - but when the end product is about as bad as something that was clearly a 'will this do' non-effort, it's hard to pick a true loser.

I guarantee that far, far less effort went into this than Andy Abraham's song.

The selection process I suppose was more ambitious, but only to the extent that they replicated the format from the previous year but failed to find anybody on Andrew Lloyd Webber's level to write and produce the song.

I remember when those 3 finalists had to sing the song for the first time, and just being gobsmacked at how crap it was, and how it didn't sound any better after hearing it 3 consecutive times.

Clearly the nation's only hope of breaking the 20 points barrier at Eurovision was with Esma, but then she went and forgot the words (which I believe she did deliberately in order to escape involvement)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SDF
The selection process I suppose was more ambitious, but only to the extent that they replicated the format from the previous year but failed to find anybody on Andrew Lloyd Webber's level to write and produce the song.

I suppose that's where I'd say it seems a bit more effort went into it. Unfortunately, Pete Waterman was completely the wrong person to sit at the helm of the submission, but I guess once they'd committed to it, they really had no choice but to go with whatever he served up.

Well the enduring rumour is that he was a last minute replacement for Gary Barlow who pulled out. I find it hard to believe it wasn't a last minute panic decision in some form or another, regardless of how true that particular story is.

Last edited:
I was in the audience for that selection. I THINK. It wasn't the most memorable evening of my life.

Clearly the nation's only hope of breaking the 20 points barrier at Eurovision was with Esma, but then she went and forgot the words (which I believe she did deliberately in order to escape involvement)

:D

I'd place it above "Even If" which I couldn't even get behind in a fun/ironic way (see the likes of Electro Velvet) and Josh being much more likable than Andy.

I have a special place in my heart for entries that completely fuck up the last note.

I struggle to find anything positive about this. To the point where it's bordering on watching abject humiliation.

I was in Munich on the night of the 2010 contest and so I was watching this on German TV and I distinctly remember the commentator doing a big sarcastic "OKAY". Such a terrible song that its awfulness transcended linguistic borders.

If the song wasn't bad enough, the absolute lack of anything approaching charisma added another level of shite. Then spread on a veneer of bum notes and a sprinkling of choreography involving star jumps, et voila. Amazingly awful.

I would in fairness much rather listen to this than Even If. I'm sure by REAL MUSIC standards that was far better but it just failed on every single level - it was shit AND we didn't care AND it didn't even have an element of fun car crash to it. The thing about this is it was a perfectly pleasant pedestrian song dragged into the void by such awful, dated production.

Last edited:
If the same song were on some ill-fated female artist's album in the SAW heyday you'd probably all love it.

Presumably there must be a thread for that selection programme? Someone sniff it out, please...

If the same song were on some ill-fated female artist's album in the SAW heyday you'd probably all love it.

It would be serviceable as a SAW in decline era album track. But then that's not how it was meant to be judged, is it?

Well you only have to look at the Esma performance to see it isn't all that bad (horrid squelching Steps beats aside) with a competent performer. It was just matching it up with a stapled grin 19 year old boy that gave it that all-pervading STENCH OF BUTLINS

Presumably there must be a thread for that selection programme? Someone sniff it out, please...

https://www.moopy.co.uk/showthread.php?67205-UK-Selection-Your-country-needs-you

This was quite crap but Even If was FAR WORSE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom