The glorious implosion of the Lib Dems

Jark

User
I think this deserves its own topic - I'm quite obsessed with the ways in which the Lib Dems have spectacularly squandered any and all goodwill post-European elections and tossed out a bunch of nonsense promises while Jo Swinson, with all the self-awareness of a frog on an acid trip, morphs gleefully into a public hate figure.

In today's news, the party has created fake newspapers in more than a dozen seats which are packaged to look like genuine independent/established publications.

Not that they're the only ones playing dirty tricks like this, but the stench of desperation radiating from Lib Dem HQ right now is quite something to behold. I don't see them taking more than 20 seats at best.

I think they over shot with the whole 'revoke Article 50' without a referendum angle. Even as an ardent remainer I think that's too extreme.

Add to that the desperation tactics and the fact that Jo is so very unlikable (which I know, awful criticism to lay on a female politician, but she really is) and I agree, I think they might not get quite the boost that they could've done.

Jo Swinson is what we Scots would call a 'nippy sweetie' - although this is a term that Nicola Sturgeon used to be branded with. However Nicola has what Jo doesn't have - credibility. I am sure Jo is actually a decent person but she is hideously out of her depth and just doesn't have leadership skills. What with saying she'd be prepared to use nuclear weapons and then citing Jacinda Ardern as her favourite world leader (who is vehemently anti-nuclear power), to her hideously mismanaged election campaign and ill-thought out policies, I think this campaign is going to be pretty disastrous for the Lib Dems and I think they'll barely make any ground in their number of seats in the House of Commons.

Jo Swinson, with all the self-awareness of a frog on an acid trip.

:D !

Seriously tho' - what did anyone expect - she's a Tory with a yellow apron so she's envious of Tory tactics and going about things in that manner whilst expecting the Lib Dems pre-2010 audience to take her seriously.

I wouldn't be surprised if they struggled into double figures; she's been absolutely terrible in the campaign and all that anyone is taken away is that she won't work with Labour in a coalition.

BYE BITCH.

I find it hard to be too gleeful about how badly the Lib Dems are doing at the moment. If we assume that Labour can't get a majority, then we need the Lib Dems to win certain seats that Labour can't get near to keep the Tories out. I hope the Labour voters in those seats are going to ignore Jo Swinson's constant insistence upon being terrible for long enough to tactically vote in the right way.

I find it hard to be too gleeful about how badly the Lib Dems are doing at the moment. If we assume that Labour can't get a majority, then we need the Lib Dems to win certain seats that Labour can't get near to keep the Tories out. I hope the Labour voters in those seats are going to ignore Jo Swinson's constant insistence upon being terrible for long enough to tactically vote in the right way.

It's all working out beautifully for the Tories since Farage sold out the Brexit Party. The Lib Dems are now Tory-lite and who the hell is going to vote Tory-lite instead of Tory? So post-2010 LibDems will just vote Tory.

Will she lose her seat (again)? :disco:

I must admit that i'm finding it utterly hilarious how much they've failed to carry on their momentum. And they've fallen on their faces without even being racist.

I'd love to know if Swinson really is that narcissistic or if it's her advisers that have told her it's a great idea to put her face on everything and make it all about her.

I'd love to know if Swinson really is that narcissistic or if it's her advisers that have told her it's a great idea to put her face on everything and make it all about her.

They got the idea that she was electable and in turns out she's about as electable as Liz Truss with a swastika tattooed on her face.

This campaign has been bizarre. She absolutely crumbled in that Newsnight interview the other day. From "we want to revoke article 50" to "I guess we'd try and get a second vote on Boris' deal? If he lets us?" in about twenty minutes.

My favourite thing is her having to release a statement that she emphatically does not kill squirrels for fun, because of a dumb meme that went viral among middle-aged Brexiteers with no critical thinking skills.

I could never vote for anyone who plays pool like a 5 year old. Sorry, Jo's Swansong.

Nah, surely she'd be decent at pool if she was a lesbian.

*STEREOTYPE ALERT* *STEREOTYPE ALERT*

I am no fan of Jo Swinson but I actually kinda feel sorry for her. She was useless as a leader, but I don't think she was a bad person, really. It's a shame how her career ended so disastrously. She was just hideously misguided and completely out of her depth.

Nah, fuck her. I'm glad she's out of Parliament. She was always a Tory at heart but could only be a big fish in a small pond.

I disagree (surprise!). Her main brand of politics is about equality and inclusion. There are two sides to politics as we all know. There is NO Tory that would have the inclusive and open view that Swinson has socially. Her economic policies were further right (naturally, as per most Lib Dems) than labour, but equally that doesn't make her a Tory.

She is devastated by the Tory win as she's clearly stated, so to call her a 'Tory at heart' is entirely untrue.

Not believing in ultra-left economic policies is not the same as being a Tory and that kind of smear campaign is what fucked her over essentially.

Also... 'implosion'....?

Ok...

The only party to increase their vote by more than 4% in the whole country
Which is essentially a 50% increase on their previous result

The problem is the system. In a PR system they'd have 75 seats - not 11. And frankly, they'd probably have more because a lot of Lib Dem supporters feel they can't vote for them because they have to vote Labour to keep the Tories out. They have certainly not had an 'implosion'.

If it turns out she did some kind of DEAL with the Tories to facilitate that election I...I...I'll never vote LibDem AGAIN...oh.

We'll SEE

Besides, the 'implosion' is clearly a reference to their apparent polling and momentum (not that one) that they seemed to have three months ago. There is no way that their result could have been declared a victory in comparison to their own expectations or early indicators.

I disagree (surprise!). Her main brand of politics is about equality and inclusion. There are two sides to politics as we all know. There is NO Tory that would have the inclusive and open view that Swinson has socially. Her economic policies were further right (naturally, as per most Lib Dems) than labour, but equally that doesn't make her a Tory.

She is devastated by the Tory win as she's clearly stated, so to call her a 'Tory at heart' is entirely untrue.

Not believing in ultra-left economic policies is not the same as being a Tory and that kind of smear campaign is what fucked her over essentially.

Not interested in who's imploded either, but I disagree here.

I don't trust Boris Johnson's promises on public spending an inch, but you could quite credibly say that the Lib Dems' economic platform was to the right of the Tories at the election. Ed Davey literally accused the Conservatives of being in a "spending competition" with Labour.

The Lib Dems would have appointed an independent body to oversee all capital investment projects, giving the go-ahead for borrowing only if these projects were guaranteed to generate more profit than cost. That's a sensible way to run a business but no way to run a country in dire need of renewal. We have one of the slowest rates of growth in Europe, alongside Italy I believe. The economy needs stimulus, not tightening.

They were the only major party committed to balancing the budget in this kind of fiscally hawkish way. The Tories excluded capital investment from their rules on borrowing. I think Sajid Javid, formerly of Deutsche Bank, would be surprised to be called a believer in ultra-left economics!

It was more her voting record in the Commons which was more Tory than Tory.

I think most of us will never trust them again after the coalition of 2010-15 anyway. There is no comeback.

It was more her voting record in the Commons which was more Tory than Tory.

I think most of us will never trust them again after the coalition of 2010-15 anyway. There is no comeback.

KER- CHING on both counts.

Well, that and the OUTRAGEOUS fake news they kept pedalling with their fake polls during this election. Oh and the overtures to work with Boris but not with Labour in a hung parliament.

Also, can we retitle this thread "The glorious implosion of cwej" just for a laugh?

I mean, I'm not saying he has had an implosion, but y'know, LOLZ...

Well, that and the OUTRAGEOUS fake news they kept pedalling with their fake polls during this election. Oh and the overtures to work with Boris but not with Labour in a hung parliament.

This is fake news in itself... at no point did she or any Lib Dem agree to work with Boris...!? :D

I think if Jo Swinson had positioned herself as being solely against grey squirrels, and not taken the frankly unelectable position of nuking all squirrels, even our native red squirrels, then we might have a Lib Dem PM right now.

Besides, the 'implosion' is clearly a reference to their apparent polling and momentum (not that one) that they seemed to have three months ago. There is no way that their result could have been declared a victory in comparison to their own expectations or early indicators.

I'm in no way trying to call the result a Lib Dem success but it's clutching at straws to see Labour supporters celebrating the 'implosion' of another party when they lost 50-odd seats...!?

I'm in no way trying to call the result a Lib Dem success but it's clutching at straws to see Labour supporters celebrating the 'implosion' of another party when they lost 50-odd seats...!?

Whataboutery.

Still funny.

I think the thing is that after the European elections there was a lot of positive vibes about the Lib Dems. Sure they did better than in 2017, but they couldn’t do any fucking worse. Jo Swinson was constantly derided after her live TV debates, showing her up as someone throrougly out of her depth and pissing up any good will they had against a wall. They were the only party in England who stood up as against Brexit but in doing this they managed to alienate most of the Remainers too with their ridiculous manifesto of cancelling the whole thing. This will go down as one of the worst managed political campaigns of our lifetimes. Jo Swinson has pretty much fucked the whole party up severely and they’ll take years if not decades to recover from this. No one treats them seriously anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom