The War in Ukraine

Is there any sign of a ceasefire at all? The hope has well and truly receded, hasn't it? :(
The bombing of Kharkiv is going apace. From a instagrammer there, Putin has ordered the city to be levelled; his orders were intercepted. This used to be Ukraine's capital at one time. Lots of harrowing film on his account. I won't link it.

The war won't be over when the killing stops. This town is close to the Russian border and relations with Russians were excellent. Now all I hear from the inhabitants is pure hatred of Russia.

i see macron's fucking hair is hot topic of the day yet no mention of this:

bonus: here's one of zelenskyy's advisers a couple of years back:

the bit that says "the coolest thing" is being disputed but it gives a pretty good impression of a certain way of thinking.

it's still shocking to me how people want escalation here and now. i had dinner with a very dear friend last night who is absolutely terrified putin is going to bomb sofia and wants nato intervention now.

the us press corps are deranged.

So Ukraine shouldn't be allowed the self-determination to join NATO if it wants to?

refer to my previous post. does that sound like sovereignty to you? where was our concern for ukraine's self-determination when the usa was picking their prime minister? where is our concern for self-determination in any of a dozen other places?

is she related to daniela andrade? :o
(one of my favourite singers)
She isn‘t :(

i see macron's fucking hair is hot topic of the day yet no mention of this:
But what is it for you to say what should and shouldn’t be discussed in this topic? You mentioned in your next post that your friend was scared of Sofia getting attacked, plenty of us on here are worried also, so surely some light hearted discussion isn’t a bad thing?

the bit that says "the coolest thing" is being disputed but it gives a pretty good impression of a certain way of thinking.

But he's saying that the two options are war with Russia or Russia absorbing Ukraine? and the "coolest thing" would be if they won a war against Russia, given an attack by Russia? It doesn't sound like he wants a war, but that is inevitable if Ukraine wants to maintain sovereignty, and the coolest thing is if they win this inevitable war

Are you talking about the 2019 election? Because Zelensky won the election

But it doesn't change Ukraine's right to choose if it wants to be in NATO or not

i've already made my disdain for nato known. i respect everyone's "right to chose" but when the stupidly binary choice they're being presented is #teamusa or #teamrussia with aggressive propaganda (and weapons) from both sides, i think they another choice.

Also, I think this is a Pro-Russia propaganda Twitter account

But he's saying that the two options are war with Russia or Russia absorbing Ukraine? and the "coolest thing" would be if they won a war against Russia, given an attack by Russia? It doesn't sound like he wants a war, but that is inevitable if Ukraine wants to maintain sovereignty, and the coolest thing is if they win this inevitable war

that is apparently what he believes, that those are the only two options.

the point is he's demonstrating with great certainty and prescience in what his government's actions will lead to in terms of a russian response.

(capital letters: the russian response is wrong in every which way and is indefensible)

that is apparently what he believes, that those are the only two options.

the point is he's demonstrating with great certainty and prescience in what his government's actions will lead to in terms of a russian response.

(capital letters: the russian response is wrong in every which way and is indefensible)
But does this foresight take away Ukraine’s right to choose? Why should he just concede to Russia just because he is aware that it is a bully?

would not be the least surprised. would you like a link to the full interview from an independent source?
No, I mean the video clearly shows him saying it. I just don’t think that kind of account needs to be shared here

This is absolutely not what I’m getting from your posts though.

the only place (i think) we differ is that i also place explicit blame on the usa and the ukrainian government for this shitshow. they knew (or at the very least suspected) where this was going and continued down this road. now 3 million and counting people are displaced, not to mention how many have been killed, ukraine is wrecked, people are putting "close the sky" posters on their shop windows, billions are going to the military industrial complex, certain interests are using the conflict to call for doubling down on fracking and drilling, who knows how many people in the third world will be affected indirectly by more poverty and hunger, people are losing their minds from paranoia and anger and, overall, the world has just become a whole lot shittier.

maybe i am naive but i refuse to believe there was no other way for ukraine apart from nato/war or absorption by the russians.

Should it not go without saying that everyone here condemns Russia's actions?

putin being a power-hungry backward leader of an autocratic, corrupt, behind-the-times former empire seems redundant to repeat. chanting "mad vlad", "russia evil" solves nothing meaningful while people are dying and the fuckers that got the world into this mess don't even seem very bothered to sit down and negotiate in any meaningful way for weeks now.

Do you have thoughts on the Ukrainian parliaments support for Arseniy Yatsenyuk, and that he was returned as Prime Minister after elections later that year?

what response should i have? did the usa undermine ukraine's sovereignity? is that the only time they've done it? is that the only place they've done it?

putin being a power-hungry backward leader of an autocratic, corrupt, behind-the-times former empire seems redundant to repeat. chanting "mad vlad", "russia evil" solves nothing meaningful while people are dying and the fuckers that got the world into this mess don't even seem very bothered to sit down and negotiate in any meaningful way for weeks now.
Yet banging on about how awful Zelenskyy supposedly is, is worth repeating?

what response should i have? did the usa undermine ukraine's sovereignity? is that the only time they've done it? is that the only place they've done it?
The sovereign decision for parliament appointing a prime minister, the sovereign decision of the electorate to return that prime minister? What is being undermined exactly?

As far as I can see, the US didn't appoint the prime minister, just expressed a preference for them. Which isn't especially shocking. We all know which countries wanted which candidate to win in the 2016 and 2020 US presidential elections.

The sovereign decision for parliament appointing a prime minister, the sovereign decision of the electorate to return that prime minister? What is being undermined exactly?

As far as I can see, the US didn't appoint the prime minister, just expressed a preference for them. Which isn't especially shocking. We all know which countries wanted which candidate to win in the 2016 and 2020 US presidential elections.

it's fine to disagree. you're free to believe the billions the usa has given to ukraine came with no strings attached if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom