United Kingdom 2021: James Newman - Embers

1. First of all, thank fuck this is a LOT better than last year which I could not get my head round anyone at all, least of all Moopers and Eurovision fans.

2. But that doesn't mean it's great.

3. But at least it's fun and catchy.

4. But the production is SO cheap.

5. I don't know what decade some of you are living in to think this sounds like something from today's radio stations? It sounds really dated, especially the production.

6. But back to point 1. A big improvement on last year.

Obviously we don't know anything about the staging etc, but I reckon a nice respectable mid-teens result is extremely possible for this and would probably be seen as a big success.

Why is ANYONE talking about the UK's staging? We have NEVER done good staging, which is actually as much part of our downfall as the shite songs we send. I can't think of a decent staging idea that we've done... ever???

It's like how everyone goes on about second being cursed. Nothing will ever win from second simply because it's known to be cursed and so whatever came ninth in the semi final gets shoved there.

Exactly, it's actually selected that way now! (Although I do think second place remains more of a psychological blocker to the voter than first, so it's definitely got its own problems to start with, which I'm not sure first has so much)

Remind me?

And also... THAT good that a song everyone thought was gonna come top 10 ended up 15th?!

Just looked at it. It's decent.

But if you want the staging to have a positive effect on final position it needs to be something much more unique feeling than that. That's what Sweden have learned - and their performances are 50% about the song; 50% about the staging. Which might be unfair, but it's what works.

But we're forgetting- there is no overall plan, but there is never the intention to have that either. The same way every other country doesn't have an "overall plan". It's about what turns up from year to year and what the BBC can get their hands on. The problem here is that we don't have anyone mid to top level willing to give it a go and show that we can get a good result and let the floodgates open to better acts and songs. The only time we've had good results since the turning point of "Cry Baby" were Blue and Jade, because both were "names" (Jade wasn't, but ALW was) and with the songs that matched such a level. Neither of those were top drawer, Dua Lipa-level of acts, but I still can't believe the BBC can't throw money at someone/something of that level again.

Why do I feel I write this same paragraph every year?

No I agree, this is why whatever the result I said I don't think it makes a difference - we ALWAYS start from square one, and fair enough, all countries do, but our square one seems to be from the barrel scraping level no matter WHAT or WHO represented us the year before and how we did. It's really sad, but this is how we are these days.

I mean in fairness, even in the 90s - it's not like Gina G or Imaani were names, but there must have been a desire for great songs to be entered and accepted. Katrina too, yes a name (of sorts), but done in a way where a killer song was brought to the table.

Like the big Swedish numbers (and Russia too) - I can remember the performances as much as I remember the song.

No I agree, this is why whatever the result I said I don't think it makes a difference - we ALWAYS start from square one, and fair enough, all countries do, but our square one seems to be from the barrel scraping level no matter WHAT or WHO represented us the year before and how we did. It's really sad, but this is how we are these days.

I mean in fairness, even in the 90s - it's not like Gina G or Imaani were names, but there must have been a desire for great songs to be entered and accepted. Katrina too, yes a name (of sorts), but done in a way where a killer song was brought to the table.

We never used to send names, but we had the songs to back it up. Who is going to spunk a great song away on some NO MARK who isn't going to get a career out of it, though?

I thought it was excellent.

I don't think Brexit was the reason it did badly though. We always have one excuse or another. It's OK - but it was never going to stand out in a crowded field.

I see that evil Molly fan @cwej is taking out his upset and resentment about the long-delayed Molly albam on poor Lucie :(

On the Embers front, it sounds AMAZING compared to some of the other crud being dished up and I listened to the 2021 entries playlist over and over again yesterday SO I KNOW :)

Why is ANYONE talking about the UK's staging? We have NEVER done good staging, which is actually as much part of our downfall as the shite songs we send. I can't think of a decent staging idea that we've done... ever???

Oh I must vehemently DISAGREE.

The staging for SCOTCH’S ‘Flying The Fag’ was SUBLIME - and would’ve been heightened even further had that dreadful NATALIE POWERS not “mislaid” the combination to the wheel-on luggage that the TROLLEY DOLLIES used as props (I was inside one of them you see, and was meant to burst out at the CLIMAX to really RAKE IN THOSE HOT HOT VOTES)

I’m sure there’s a website where you can track the activity of Eurovision songs, but can I find it? Can I buggery.

esctracker.com?

Though it hasn't updated with all of this year's songs yet - it's still showing last year's.

Ew3H9FFWUA8EtXP

To be fair I think that all of his criticisms were valid, we’ve all said the same things on here anyway. The only time I’ve felt he’s stepped out of line was when he openly criticised Joe & Jake‘s song. Yes it was shit but it isn’t something you should really be publicly saying when you’re producing the show.

And also Christer ≠ all of Sweden

I don’t even think he’s slagging us off, I don’t think he’s wrong, and the media aren’t creating a narrative of support at all.

I don’t even think he’s slagging us off, I don’t think he’s wrong, and the media aren’t creating a narrative of support at all.
Oh no I agree with him on that, the media and the public basically talk about our songs as failures before they’re even released so it’s no wonder artists aren’t clamouring to represent us.

I just don’t like him joining in the badmouthing of our acts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom