Whatev's Christina Aguilera Top 50!

Save Me From Myself
Back to Basics (2006)

I love this song so much. Co-written by Xtina with Linda Perry and Like A Prayer/Sheryl Crow songwriter Bill Bottrell, it's the most gentle, restrained track on the album and possibly of her entire career. The song has a simple, acoustic feel, yet her vocals remain intricate and impressive, heavily at the forefront of the mix. Clearly about her at-the-time-new-husband (now divorced), she released a video for it in 2008 after spawning a son, cut with footage from the wedding (which frankly looks as though it was a tasteless affair). Bizarrely, the video has nearly 20 million YouTube hits but isn't on either of Xtina's official channels. She looks LOVELY in it and it's nice to see old lezzy Linda strumming away.

Highlight: 2:40 "A better womaaaaan..." [pause]

Watch:

Infatuation
Stripped (2002)

What a story! It's like a mini saga! First she mutters away in Spanish about her first love (Primer Alor interlude), then... BAM! The Scott Storch bass line kicks in and that joyous flamenco energy takes you to another place for the next five minutes. I remember being blown away hearing this the first time, reading along to the lyrics in the CD booklet. You know I'm a sucker for her Latin Pop output, but this is such a clever, intricate song, the way all the vocal parts are woven together, and I thought she sounded better than ever vocally. Could've easily been a single, but then there was so much to choose from.

Highlight: 1:59 "Not to rush" - the backing vocals are so FULL and 3:21 "You ADORE me! LEAVE me lonely! Oh..."

Listen:

I mean, I went off X-Tina a lot vs. the height of my standom (she didn't really stand the test of time, which is odd for someone who was always so ahead of her time, and a fearless, balls-to-the-wall boundary pusher).

But I have to stan this countdown.

I hope Fall On Me does though. It’s a true stunner.

To be fair, if "Car Wash" gets a placement on this countdown so should "Feel this Moment"

Love the last few entries. I used to BLAST "Infatuation" on my CD stereo in my basement and turn down the volume anytime my parents came downstairs. :shy:

I played the shit out of that album and Kelly C's Thankful in 2003.

@Whatevar not feeling the collabs then

not that I blame him on Marmalade or Maroon 5, but I wonder if Say Something will appear...?

(or has it already)

You Lost Me
Bionic (2010)

This exquisite Sia ballad was the third single released from Bionic (if you count Woohoo). I know it's a tiny bit shouty at the climax but she sings with such intense anguish that it somehow works. The opening lines are particularly striking: "I am done, smoking gun/We've lost it all, the love is gone." I think her husband cheated on her or some shit. I seem to remember an amazing live performance on US television created a lot of buzz online but, amazingly, the single became her first not to chart on the Hot 100, stalling at #120 (and #153 in the UK). I favour the Radio Mix personally, although there is nothing wrong with the original album version. Pretty video, too.

Highlight: 3:37 "I feel LIKE(!) our world's been infected" and amazing runs at 3:56 "We've found our lives be-e-e-e-e-een changed, ye-e-e-e-eah".

Watch:

I Turn To You
Christina Aguilera (1999)

ALL HAIL DIANE. This power ballad was first recorded by R&B quartet All-4-One for the Space Jam soundtrack in 1996, but received very little recognition until Warren suggested that Xtina should record it. It got quite a lot of stick for being too formulaic but I think it's fantastic - the key change and some of the chord progressions are actually quite unusual. It went on the become a big #3 hit in the US when it was released as the third single from her debut album, and it only reached #19 in the UK, though I would say it's quite well known. I also sang this as part of my A Level Music coursework - can you IMAGINE? :D I wish I had a copy. Oh and look at her big blue eyes in the video :disco:

Highlight: 3:07 "For the ONNNNNNE WHO/I can RU-U-U-UN to-oo-oo/OH I... turn to YOOOOOU!"

Watch:

Not Myself Tonight
Bionic (2010)

Produced by Polow da Don, this max track is a real grower, although not without its flaws, which I will now outline and let outrage ensue. As a lead single, I remember being disappointed that it was a little too ordinary for an artist who usually set the trends. The verses were better than the chorus. It sounded too much like SexyBack. Gimme More was better. Lady Gaga was already doing similar music with slick visuals better. There are flashes of brilliance, no doubt, and I get that she was going for a club track, but after 2 minutes the song runs out of steam and there's just a lot of talking and drumming, which is a shame as it feels unfinished. And why they put an effect on her voice at the climax "But baby. Not TONIGHT!" I do not know - it could've been such a hot voxual moment. The single reached an underwhelming #23 in the US and #12 in the UK. But whatever, it's a bit of fun and WE ALL LOVE IT, especially the Hype Williams S&M video, which I honestly think is stunning. It's become an iconic part of her back cat and, for that, it deserves its place in the Top 20.

Highlight: I love the STRUT of 0:40 "The music's on and I'm dancing..."

Watch:

The Radio Mix for You Lost Me was THE version although I don't think radio even touched it :D It really felt like the beginning of Decline-tina chart-wise :(

Bionic was also the era when all of her remixes started going to the dogs :zombie: She's had a couple of listeneable remixes ever since.

You Lost Me is incredible. I think she debuted it as a guest on American Idol and I was AGOG.

Reactions: SDF
"You Lost Me", as you put it, is all about the broken delivery and that opening line. "I am done. Smoking gun. We've lost it all- the love is gone. :(" I probably slightly prefer it to "Lift Me Up". Is that one still coming?

And I seem to remember a nice Letterman performance of the former.

"I Turn to You" is nice but bland, and probably wouldn't trouble my top 50.

The Not Myself Tonight video is brilliant. It's such a turtle head of a song, but what a push and waiting 3 minutes for the Gaga execution that never comes is as marvelous now as it was by the time you'd heard it twice and decided conventional enjoyment is overrated.

You Lost Me sadly didn't get into the Great American Songbook so just burns it instead. The Hex Hector remix means we can continue the histrionics at the gym or with a cock in our mouths too.

I remember Edith Bowman on MTV saying she thought the I Turn To You video was paedophilic. Jealousy is a killer in this industry.

And I seem to remember a nice Letterman performance of the former.

"I Turn to You" is nice but bland, and probably wouldn't trouble my top 50.
The Letterman performance was OK but not as great as I had previously imagined.

I go through phases of thinking I Turn To You is bland but then I listen to it and realise its true genius. Hope you can do the same hun x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom